Play Money VS Cash

For those members that play online quite a lot, do you find the quality of play for real cash much different than online play for play money? I have been testing out a couple of sites to decide which one I want to play for real cash on but I find the calls on the play money tables to be quite extreme (and mostly unrealitic). For example, raises of 5-10 BB usually get called by three plus players which would never happen in a live tournament. This might be an obvious question, but I thought I would see what other members thought. Cheers.

PokerJAH

Comments

• Play money is obscenely misrepresenting good actual play.

Though, if you play limit 50/100 online, it's almost identical to $2/5 at Brantford.

Mark
  • Play money is VERY different from cash games online. Once in awhile you might get a table of players who are there to learn and practice, but majority of the time the play quality is not going to resemble that of a cash game.
  • The only time I ever play play money is if I'm learning a little omaha. I'm not really concerned about the betting, I just want to know what hands I should be playing.
  • Massive differences. I started with play money (on Score), moved up to micro-limit (on UB), and now play low-limit (lots of sites). My wife also recently moved up to micro-limit and when she goes back to play money, she gets REALLY angry :) . There are probably different opinions, but I consider micro anything below .05/.10 cash games and $1 SnG's. With low-limit, I've played .15/.25 up to 2/4 without noticing any major differences.
  • I think the closest you can get to a play money game with a 'real' game feel is to start a private room
    and play with a bunch of friends (who really want to play and learn too) for bragging rights or a few
    other side bets.

The other that might get close is the SNG's on sites like Stars or UB. I found that after 2 to 5 people have
    busted out of SNG's the play gets a little bit better - there's got to be some play money
    players out there who are trying to learn the game and give it a good shot. Also, the last few tables of any
    freeroll I've played with 1000+ players the poker isn't that bad - the players who have played a freeroll for
    2 1/2 hours are trying to win something, so they are trying their best at that point too.
  • I agree that Play is a joke.

However, there are a few sites that would have been nice to use play before real.

It allows a chance to get use to the different graphics, use of notes, stats etc...before putting down any money.

As for limits - I have played various limits and have not got high enough to notice a difference. The main thing is to be sure that your BR can handle a couple bad sessions at the limit you are playing.

For example if you only have $100 in your account it would be foolish to play 2-4 or 5-5 NL.
  • Only time I play with fake is if I'm a new site I've never been to before, and wanting to get a feel for the graphics and the different responses, or if one of my brothers is on a play money table and I want to play against them for abit.

I moved from Play to Real about a year ago, and they are totally different games. When there's nothing to lose, people don't care. They THINK they are great players, but put them on a real money table AT ANY LIMIT and they soon find out how different the game is.

Play tables are good for learning the basics on, along with reading a few books and what not, but I wouldn't want someone to think that because they sucked out somebody of 50,000 play dollars on a 72o suckout that that makes them a good player. My advise would be to learn the basics quickly, then go to real money tables and learn how to play the game.
  • thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I should expect more reasonable calls with the cash games which is promising. One thing that's got be completely baffled are the players that get ahead 2-3 X their starting chips and then they are AWAY for the rest of the tournament. I have played a couple 45 player tournaments on Stars and at one time there were 4 AWAY players at the table. One of them actually came in second, but I don't understand why you want to win a few thousand on a site where you can get a thousand more chips for free at anytime. They are probably playing on multiple tables but what's the real benefit if it is for play money anyways? This just seems to aggrevate the other players at the table. Any comments on this one?

PokerJAH
  • pokerJAH wrote:
    thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I should expect more reasonable calls with the cash games which is promising. One thing that's got be completely baffled are the players that get ahead 2-3 X their starting chips and then they are AWAY for the rest of the tournament. I have played a couple 45 player tournaments on Stars and at one time there were 4 AWAY players at the table. One of them actually came in second, but I don't understand why you want to win a few thousand on a site where you can get a thousand more chips for free at anytime. They are probably playing on multiple tables but what's the real benefit if it is for play money anyways? This just seems to aggrevate the other players at the table. Any comments on this one?

PokerJAH

Not playing is a legitimate strategy (a poor one but is still legal) and if players are sitting out and coming in second it really answers your original question as to whether or not the quality of play differs in play money vs real money.
    If you sit out hoping to cash in real money the players only have to blind you down to get rid of you (and they will). In play situations they don't bother, because poker for play money is a stupid, useless game (unless you want to try a new game or are testing the software for a new site).
    I can't think of any reason why a play money player would sit out hoping to cash other then they have nothing at stake and to prove they can.
  • Could be as simple as they joined a tournament or sng and got called away to do something else. Since they really have nothing at stake, they just leave the computer and sit out...
  • There are only 2 poker simulations that I have ever found to be realistic enough to be useful for practising poker: Wilson's Turbo Texas Holdem, and Poki's Poker Academy. The same Poki technology is also available for free online play at

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/poker/

No other poker AI I have ever tried has come anywhere close to these two in poker skill. In fact, Poki is pretty much leaving even Wilson's in the dust these days, although Wilson's still has enough going for it to recommend it. I mean, how can you not love that Sidwinder Sid? :)

Even playing for real money micro-stakes (like $0.02-$0.04 limit holdem) is a huge jump in poker "realism" compared to play money games.

I would not recommend playing for play money at the online poker sites for any reason other than learning the betting mechanics of a site you've never played on before. When there is no incentive to win, it's not poker.

ScottyZ
  • Apparently the DN game "Stacked" which is over a year late uses the above mentioned U of A algorithms combined with all the glitz and glam of poker celebrities having their faces scanned in so you can play against "real" pros. This is true poker whoring at it's finest - selling out! The game is supposed to be finally coming out this March. It will be worth a weekend rental for sure, but that's probably about it.
  • Yes, AFAIK, Stacked will be driven by the Poki poker AI. I'd probably recommend Stacked along with the other Poki-based resources, depending of course on how the gameplay turns out to be on the whole.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    There are only 2 poker simulations that I have ever found to be realistic enough to be useful for practising poker: Wilson's Turbo Texas Holdem, and Poki's Poker Academy. The same Poki technology is also available for free online play at

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/poker/

No other poker AI I have ever tried has come anywhere close to these two in poker skill. In fact, Poki is pretty much leaving even Wilson's in the dust these days, although Wilson's still has enough going for it to recommend it. I mean, how can you not love that Sidwinder Sid? :)

Even playing for real money micro-stakes (like $0.02-$0.04 limit holdem) is a huge jump in poker "realism" compared to play money games.

I would not recommend playing for play money at the online poker sites for any reason other than learning the betting mechanics of a site you've never played on before. When there is no incentive to win, it's not poker.

ScottyZ

that is a pretty cool program; worth checking out. Thanks for the feedback.

Jim