Moving up in tourney buyins....

Lately I've been having some success at the low buyin tourneys ($5/$6) at a rate of over 40% in the money :D
This has been over about 100 games in 2 & 3 table S&G.f
I've played a few at $10 with moderate success, just out of the money.

My question, what guidelines as far as winning did you use to move up through the various buyins. I've played bigger in the past and really had my ass kicked, but I am feeling more confident now in my abilities.

I was thinking of maybe moving to $10 buyins and reevaluate after about 20 games. Is this enough time?
If I am holding my own (ie not loosing too much), I think I'd continue till I've played atleast 100 at this level and repeat the next level.
My goal is to play $30 with some success by the end of 06.

Too ambiitous...too cautious?

Thx

Hobbes

Comments

• One idea for you, to test yourself at higher levels is to create your own "mini" step tournment.

Play a $5 SnG, then, if you wish, immediately buy-in to the highest SnG with the money you've just won. If you find your self doing well, then you can either move up permanently or create a three-step system for yourself.

For example, the top place in a PokerStars $5 is $22.50, If you get first, buy into a $20+$2 and if you get second, try a $10+$1.
  • I wouldn't move up permanently until you are sure you are a consistent winner at the current level. 100 games should be enough to judge that. The occasional foray into the next level is worth a shot from time to time if you are doing well.

To be comfortable, I think you need at least 30 buy-ins at the level you want to play. If you drop below 20 buy-ins, you should drop down a level.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
  • Thanks for the advise.

I think that I'll move one level at a time and rack up 100 games first with the occasional foray into the higher levels (might get lucky :-))

I like the idea of making sue that I have 30 buyins and if I drop then to go back down for a bit.

Hobbes