Best thing since sliced bread

I've used this play 3 times (at three different tables) in the tournament I'm in right now, and it's worked every time.

Someone raises preflop from somewhere.  You call with something.  The pot is heads-up.

The flop misses you.  You are first to act.  You check, and call a bet that is approx. 2/3 the pot.

The turn misses you.  You bet into your opponent, the exact same amount of his flop bet.  He thinks and folds.

Now, why is this play the best thing since sliced bread?  A few reasons.

It's better than a check-raise bluff on the flop.  First of all, some players (they do exist) get all personally involved and all heated up when they get check-raised.  Some players will instantly come back over the top of you as a result of this, and that would be bad.  When you just call their flop bet, they get scared instead of pissed off, because flat calls are scary on a board with no draws.  Then you follow that up with a bet on the turn, and they fold.

The other reason it's better than a check-raise bluff on the flop is because it's cheaper.  If you check-raise the exact same amount of his bet on the flop, he feels priced in, committed to THAT STREET.  So he calls.  The only meaningful check-raise bluff you can put in will be a big one, and that gets expensive on the off-chance that your opponent has a real hand.

And finally, you can only make this play if the flop call + the identical turn bet does not put you into a different "zone", stack-wise.  Like, don't do it if it will make your big stack average or your average stack small.  And don't do it against shortstacks.

The exact same bet on the turn not only scares him, but it confuses him, too.  It's too much for him to take: "You called a 700 bet on the flop and now you're leading out with 700 when the turn changes apparently nothing?  WTF is going on here?  You WANT me to call this turn bet?  And what did you call the flop bet with?  Go away now.  I'm confused.  I fold."

And that is why I feel that this move is both affordable and effective.  Best thing since sliced bread.  Anyone have any thoughts about the "calling a bet on the flop with nothing and leading out on the turn with the exact same bet" move?   It's cheap, and it works!

Comments

• I have used this play quite a bit in limit (when I am the small or big blind) against tight aggressive and loose aggressive players who will raise preflop with almost anything to try to steal blinds. A variation at times is I come out betting the flop (whether I hit it or not) they raise I call (even if I have nothing) and then I come out betting the turn and it is amazing how often they fold because they are convinced I must have a hand.

The check raise bluff on the flop usually resulted in the type of behavior you mentioned where they become emotionally committed, though the check raise bluff can work on flops like 8 8 4 when I am in the BB without it being raised preflop.

The turn bet in limit is twice the flop bet but I think the base behavior is the same. You are creating the image of having a very powerful hand while you deftly avoid challanging the other player's "poker manhood" with the check raise.
  • Maybe so,

but it's no Skippy
  • I've tried a few of those in limit games, and it only works for certain type of players. If works well to the players who automatically bet the flop if its heads-up or three handed and get check-raised. They will usually call the CR but fold if you lead out on the turn. But don't do it to players who call down to the showdown with middle pair or what not.
  • It's a nice move (in theory anyways) I'll have to try it more often. I think a lot of the very good players know that this line is usually a bluff so be careful who you use it against. Limit is a different story altogether though. Good aggressive players will often raise you turn bet and take a free showdown because your line looks like a bluff. Against these players you should use this line with a real hand and bet-3bet the turn.
  • all_aces wrote:

It's better than a check-raise bluff on the flop.  First of all, some players (they do exist) get all personally involved and all heated up when they get check-raised.  Some players will instantly come back over the top of you as a result of this, and that would be bad. 

You basically are allowing your opponent to "Save Face".......Love It.
  • Limit is a different story altogether though. Good aggressive players will often raise you turn bet and take a free showdown because your line looks like a bluff. Against these players you should use this line with a real hand and bet-3bet the turn.

Completely agree with SirWatts on his limit take on this play. Frequently I'll see a donk turn bet as weakness and raise semi-strong to marginal hands with the intention of taking a free showdown. You'll see a lot of laggy types donk out the turn on a scare card and I will frequently come over the top (of course it becomes painful if they actually did trip up with bottom pair). Frequently these players will go for the turn CR though instead of the more obvious (aggressive) bet/3 bet line.

As for AA's take, there's so much thought behind the play it utterly blows my mind, but just a matter of finding the right opportunities to use it...
  • Tried it last night in a sng. 4 players left, on the bubble.
    Someone raises preflop from somewhere. You call with something. The pot is heads-up.

The flop misses you. You are first to act. You check, and call a bet that is approx. 2/3 the pot.

The turn misses you. You bet into your opponent, the exact same amount of his flop bet. He thinks and ...

calls with KK. DoH!

Fortunately I was a big chip leader. But a couple more losses suddenly left me gasping for breath with a few hundred chips. Survived I don't know how many allins to chip back up and knock out fourth place. Battled 3 way for about 30 min. and finally won the sucker after a 1 hour and 45 min marathon.
  • finally won the sucker

See? I told you it works.
  • Hey, this was one of my Lucky Lou poker tips.

When you're out of position and you want to run a bluff, you really need to figure out the right bet size that will convince your opponent you hit the flop. The best way to do this is to let your opponent choose the bet size, by checking to them. You can run the bluff in a variety of ways -- but the initial bet by your opponent gives you the information you need to run a very believable bluff. I think any street will work -- but the turn can work the best because there's least amount of hope at that point. On the flop, he's got cards coming and the possibility of running a bluff against you. On the turn, he's only got one card coming and him running a bluff is very unlikely -- since you came this far. On the river, he need only call the one bet -- so, he can "hope" you're bluffing. Turn a very good spot. Others can work as well though -- depending on the nature of the opponent.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Hey All_Aces, you're right it really does work!!

Watch this ma, no hands

PokerStars Game #3900248020: Tournament #19224802, Hold'em No Limit - Level XI
    (600/1200) - 2006/02/08 - 01:21:22 (ET)
    Table '19224802 24' Seat #5 is the button
    Seat 1: egypt1177 (66852 in chips)
    Seat 2: VegasLawyer (12660 in chips)
    Seat 3: saraswati1 (32171 in chips)
    Seat 4: heathbar43 (11935 in chips)
    Seat 5: Calasabum (28437 in chips)
    Seat 6: jafw (8869 in chips)
    Seat 7: tklefty (24975 in chips) ................................This is me :D
    Seat 8: asphaltace (8595 in chips)
    Seat 9: micmac5 (18578 in chips)
    egypt1177: posts the ante 75
    VegasLawyer: posts the ante 75
    saraswati1: posts the ante 75
    heathbar43: posts the ante 75
    Calasabum: posts the ante 75
    jafw: posts the ante 75
    tklefty: posts the ante 75
    asphaltace: posts the ante 75
    micmac5: posts the ante 75
    jafw: posts small blind 600
    tklefty: posts big blind 1200

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to tklefty [Kh 3h]
    asphaltace: folds
    micmac5: folds
    egypt1177: raises 1200 to 2400....raise from somewhere, just like all_aces said it would happen
    VegasLawyer: folds
    saraswati1: folds
    heathbar43: folds
    Calasabum: folds
    jafw: folds
    tklefty: calls 1200....follow the recipe

*** FLOP *** [6c Th 3c]

tklefty: checks
    egypt1177: bets 3600....allow opponent to determine bet size (all aces with assist from magithighs)
    tklefty: calls 3600

*** TURN *** [6c Th 3c] [6d]

tklefty: bets 3600..............lead out with exactly the same bet for maximum confusability
    egypt1177: calls 3600....wait a second?!!!....wasn't he supposed to fold at this point? All_Aces promised

*** RIVER *** [6c Th 3c 6d] [2d]

tklefty: checks .......
    egypt1177: bets 57177 and is all-in
    tklefty: calls 15300 and is all-in...............I was just kidding, I was 98% sure he was drawing for clubs, and I know 100% he doesn't have the Tc or this particular guy would have raised the turn. The only MUTB hand he could possibly have is Ac6x...I'll takes my chances.

*** SHOW DOWN ***

egypt1177: shows [Jc 8c] (a pair of Sixes)
    tklefty: shows [Kh 3h] (two pair, Sixes and Threes)
    tklefty collected 51075 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 51075 | Rake 0
    Board [6c Th 3c 6d 2d]
    Seat 1: egypt1177 showed [Jc 8c] and lost with a pair of Sixes
    Seat 2: VegasLawyer folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: saraswati1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: heathbar43 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Calasabum (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: jafw (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 7: tklefty (big blind) showed [Kh 3h] and won (51075) with two pair, Sixes
    and Threes
    Seat 8: asphaltace folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: micmac5 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

First reaction by most would be that my river call is a donk play, but I honestly felt I had a good read on this guy.
    My read was so good in fact that later on I put all my chips in with 99 when he raised 5x the blind...all he had that time was KK..........oops, IGHN, or whatever the acronym is when you're already home.
  • Lou, I swear I didn't rip you off. ;)

And, shouldn't anything concerning Lucky Lou poker tips go in advertising or something?

I kid cause I love. I kid, cause I love.

In all seriousness, I've probably made that 'move' (or one like it) a bunch of times, but after doing it three times in one tournament it became very clear to me what I was doing, and why, and I felt compelled to write down my reasoning before I forgot about it.

SOS, I love that you gave it a try, and I'm glad it sorta kinda ish worked out for you!
  • PokerStars Game #3910458734: Tournament #19196797, Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (1500/3000) - 2006/02/09 - 00:26:25 (ET)
    Table '19196797 48' Seat #9 is the button
    Seat 1: chefjeffkw (69163 in chips)
    Seat 2: MDSGuy24 (59908 in chips)
    Seat 3: klmz88 (24064 in chips)
    Seat 4: abdoabdo (64490 in chips)
    Seat 5: Stmp50 (64548 in chips)
    Seat 6: juleslilbit (26400 in chips)
    Seat 7: clyjoe (85224 in chips)
    Seat 8: steveb1971 (63350 in chips)
    Seat 9: squeezemall (67923 in chips)
    chefjeffkw: posts the ante 150
    MDSGuy24: posts the ante 150
    klmz88: posts the ante 150
    abdoabdo: posts the ante 150
    Stmp50: posts the ante 150
    juleslilbit: posts the ante 150
    clyjoe: posts the ante 150
    steveb1971: posts the ante 150
    squeezemall: posts the ante 150
    chefjeffkw: posts small blind 1500
    MDSGuy24: posts big blind 3000
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to MDSGuy24 [7d 5s]
    klmz88: folds
    abdoabdo: folds
    Stmp50: raises 3000 to 6000
    juleslilbit: folds
    clyjoe: folds
    steveb1971: folds
    squeezemall: folds
    chefjeffkw: folds
    MDSGuy24: calls 3000
    *** FLOP *** [6c Kd 7c]
    MDSGuy24: checks
    Stmp50: bets 6000
    MDSGuy24: calls 6000

*** TURN *** [6c Kd 7c] [Js]
    MDSGuy24: bets 6000
    Stmp50: folds

MDSGuy24 collected 26850 from pot
    MDSGuy24: doesn't show hand
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 26850 | Rake 0
    Board [6c Kd 7c Js]
    Seat 1: chefjeffkw (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 2: MDSGuy24 (big blind) collected (26850)
    Seat 3: klmz88 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: abdoabdo folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Stmp50 folded on the Turn
    Seat 6: juleslilbit folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: clyjoe folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: steveb1971 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: squeezemall (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Beautiful! :D:D
  • I love it... maybe the "sliced bread" move will become pokerforum's equivalent to RGP red-hot "rampaging" kick.

(For those who aren't familiar with "rampaging"... http://www.fellknight.com/blog/ if you care.  I went on a LHE rampage about 2 or 3 years ago.  Not as dramatic but infinitely more profitable, I'd imagine.  Because I'm a lucksack.)
  • So how did you go on your LHE rampage? I know, I know, I've read the old thread with the shorthanded rapid progression and the endless run of crazy good variance. From the blog article though, he seems to advocate pushing with small to massive edges (with a shortish stack) , and stealing/restealing (via a push). I'd imagine limit rampaging to be much more difficult if only for the fact that you might actually have to play post-flop. Or is rampaging simply saying play beyond your BR for the sheer thrill of gambling (which is exactly what you're doing). I'd also wonder how many times the average person would hit the wall at limit X before getting to their desired BR... Don't get me wrong, the gambler in me gets a kick out of this shit, but the poker player in me knows better... :) I think maybe "Devo" maybe needs to drop the "this guy is obviously just rampaging to be pushing 22 vs a raise in LP" line in one of the upcoming episodes of PNL...
  • So how did you go on your LHE rampage?

IIRC, it was alternating sessions of short-handed LHE, and Rampage.

http://www.shockwave.com/sw/content/rampage

ScottyZ
  • Yeah, I'd say it was more like the whole "play beyond your bankroll for the sheer thrill of gambling" thing...  Buy into a site for $40, play $1/$2 shorthanded LHE, move to $2/$4 when you hit $80, move to $3/$6 when you hit $120, etc etc and see how far it takes you.

What it has in common with the RGP "Rampage" is that you start with a small amount of money, and you let it ride, playing higher and higher stakes.  As you pointed out, it differs when it comes down to the actual play, as LHE and NLHE are entirely different games.  I simply played the best (and most aggressive) LHE shorthanded game I could.  There were no "rules" like "if I'm holding two pair or better I cap the turn and check-raise the river".  ;)

Scotty, that link is hilarious.  And not too far from how I felt when I was on that ridiculously extended rush:

"In an experiment gone awry, you're a 50 ft. monster bent on destruction. The only way you can stay alive is to destroy an entire city block, bash a mechanized army and avoid dynamite tossing mercenaries! Grab a handful of civilians to keep you energized and go for broke!"
  • "In an experiment gone awry, you're a 50 ft. monster bent on destruction. The only way you can stay alive is to destroy an entire city block, bash a mechanized army and avoid dynamite tossing mercenaries! Grab a handful of civilians to keep you energized and go for broke!"

Is there any better metaphor for poker than this? I think not.

ScottyZ
  • This little sliced bread thingy is sorta working out ok.

So far I am 2 for 3. My first time is posted above for a nice little win, my second one cost me more than half my stack when the guy with KK called my 66 with an A on the board. I don't understand how he raised my turn bet, he ended up pushing, another 420 to me after having already put in 2k, and I got crushed.

My third one, the guy still called my turn bet, so I doubled the river bet, and he called that too! I thought I was done, but he mucked to my pair 9s.

It's a nice litle trick when it works, but I get nervous when they call the turn bet. :D
  • PokerStars Game #3937691586: Tournament #19225081, Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2006/02/11 - 15:44:17 (ET)
    Table '19225081 26' Seat #4 is the button
    Seat 1: Jamroom (17050 in chips)
    Seat 2: elee (10050 in chips)
    Seat 3: rodgirth (33377 in chips)
    Seat 4: homersbro (7335 in chips)
    Seat 5: Wolffhound (9785 in chips)
    Seat 6: Ezra Dean (5655 in chips)
    Seat 7: DevilShark (30745 in chips)
    Seat 8: SmartyJ157 (17475 in chips)
    Seat 9: Austin3484 (16771 in chips)
    Jamroom: posts the ante 25
    elee: posts the ante 25
    rodgirth: posts the ante 25
    homersbro: posts the ante 25
    Wolffhound: posts the ante 25
    Ezra Dean: posts the ante 25
    DevilShark: posts the ante 25
    SmartyJ157: posts the ante 25
    Austin3484: posts the ante 25
    Wolffhound: posts small blind 100
    Ezra Dean: posts big blind 200
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Wolffhound [5c 7c]
    DevilShark: folds
    Austin3484 said, "but im just doing poker now"
    SmartyJ157: folds
    Austin3484: folds
    Jamroom: raises 600 to 800
    Austin3484 said, "so have a lot of free time to watch"
    elee: folds
    rodgirth: folds
    SmartyJ157 said, "same"
    Austin3484 said, "poker is such easy money"
    homersbro: folds
    Austin3484 said, "for low limit cash games"
    Wolffhound: calls 700
    SmartyJ157 said, "well, it was"
    Austin3484 said, "say 5 / 10 cent tables"
    SmartyJ157 said, "I was WAY up"
    Ezra Dean: folds
    *** FLOP *** [Jh 7d 4d]
    Wolffhound: checks
    Austin3484 said, "im averaging $10 an hr"
    Jamroom: bets 1400
    SmartyJ157 said, "playing $1/2 2/4 over at Absolute"
    Austin3484 said, "but i play 8 tables"
    Wolffhound: calls 1400
    *** TURN *** [Jh 7d 4d]
    Austin3484 said, "what was your bankroll?"
    Wolffhound: bets 1600
    SmartyJ157 said, "cuz I had a 200% bonus"
    Jamroom: folds
    SmartyJ157 said, "started with 100"
    Wolffhound collected 4825 from pot
    Wolffhound: doesn't show hand
    SmartyJ157 said, "played 1/2"
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 4825 | Rake 0
    Board [Jh 7d 4d Td]
    Seat 1: Jamroom folded on the Turn
    Seat 2: elee folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: rodgirth folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: homersbro (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Wolffhound (small blind) collected (4825)
    Seat 6: Ezra Dean (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 7: DevilShark folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: SmartyJ157 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: Austin3484 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
  • Donk betting is the future of poker.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Donk betting is the future of poker.

We can only hope so.

I take from this that you don't like the "sliced bread"?  If not, why not?
  • all_aces wrote:
    Lou, I swear I didn't rip you off.  ;)

And, shouldn't anything concerning Lucky Lou poker tips go in advertising or something?

I kid cause I love.  I kid, cause I love.

In all seriousness, I've probably made that 'move' (or one like it) a bunch of times, but after doing it three times in one tournament it became very clear to me what I was doing, and why, and I felt compelled to write down my reasoning before I forgot about it.

SOS, I love that you gave it a try, and I'm glad it sorta kinda ish worked out for you!

True dat!  It should be in advertising.  Maybe, I'll post a link to my posts which are in advertising -- cause I love -- cause I love. 

I didn't think you ripped me off, but I'm always encouraged when really good players come up with plays/suggestions which are very similar to mine!

Cheers
    Magi
  • Maybe, I'll post a link to my posts which are in advertising -- cause I love -- cause I love.

ROFL. Fair enough.
  • PokerStars Game #3978245692: Tournament #19613508, Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/02/15 - 01:37:05 (ET)
    Table '19613508 15' Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: elambert24 (1130 in chips)
    Seat 2: kdizzle7108 (4007 in chips)
    Seat 3: fyasko21 (4410 in chips)
    Seat 4: ryguyca (1125 in chips)
    Seat 5: CarRedRaj (975 in chips)
    Seat 6: JackMehofff (4328 in chips)
    Seat 7: nedyrkram (1000 in chips)
    Seat 8: SirWatts (1450 in chips)
    Seat 9: DRU217 (2565 in chips)
    kdizzle7108: posts small blind 25
    fyasko21: posts big blind 50
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to SirWatts [Qh Ad]
    4 folds
    SirWatts: raises 100 to 150
    DRU217: folds
    elambert24: folds
    kdizzle7108: calls 125
    fyasko21: folds
    *** FLOP *** [7s 2c 7h]
    kdizzle7108: checks
    SirWatts: bets 200
    kdizzle7108: calls 200
    *** TURN *** [7s 2c 7h] [4h]
    kdizzle7108: bets 250
    SirWatts: raises 500 to 750
    kdizzle7108: folds
    SirWatts collected 1250 from pot
  • VNH sir. That's a variation on the bread... nice move.
  • HaHa,
    Kdizzle was trying the bread move and Sir Watts sliced him up.
  • Kdizzle would later get his revenge...and he instantly called the push too

PokerStars Game #3978509913: Tournament #19613508, Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2006/02/15 - 02:18:27 (ET)
    Table '19613508 20' Seat #4 is the button
    Seat 1: aLwAyZEmPtY2 (2264 in chips)
    Seat 2: Bearbar (5440 in chips)
    Seat 3: kdizzle7108 (7212 in chips)
    Seat 4: isuck123 (1385 in chips)
    Seat 5: littleman74 (5220 in chips)
    Seat 6: SirWatts (1950 in chips)
    Seat 7: ~hostile~ (6205 in chips)
    Seat 8: Johnybliz (4092 in chips)
    Seat 9: Cequdor (4341 in chips)
    littleman74: posts small blind 75
    SirWatts: posts big blind 150
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    ~hostile~: folds
    Johnybliz: folds
    Cequdor: folds
    aLwAyZEmPtY2: folds
    Bearbar: folds
    kdizzle7108: raises 450 to 600
    isuck123: folds
    littleman74: folds
    SirWatts: raises 1350 to 1950 and is all-in
    kdizzle7108: calls 1350
    *** FLOP *** [Qd Qh Ah]
    littleman74 said, "ahh snap"
    *** TURN *** [Qd Qh Ah] [7h]
    *** RIVER *** [Qd Qh Ah 7h] [Tc]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    SirWatts: shows [Kc Ad] (two pair, Aces and Queens)
    kdizzle7108: shows [As Qc] (a full house, Queens full of Aces)
    kdizzle7108 collected 3975 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 3975 | Rake 0
    Board [Qd Qh Ah 7h Tc]
    Seat 1: aLwAyZEmPtY2 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: Bearbar folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: kdizzle7108 showed [As Qc] and won (3975) with a full house, Queens full of Aces
    Seat 4: isuck123 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: littleman74 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 6: SirWatts (big blind) showed [Kc Ad] and lost with two pair, Aces and Queens
    Seat 7: ~hostile~ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: Johnybliz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: Cequdor folded before Flop (didn't bet)
  • SirWatts did a reverse bread....or would that be called a pumpernickel?