Why Omaha Hi-lo is my new game!

I used to love texas online tons of donks easy money - recently I have found the short sessions making loads of easy cash has been getting more difficult (see acidjoe's comments on sngs)

However, Omaha Hi Lo is what texas was 3 years ago.

Tonight I sat down with a meagre $35 at a $50 PL game ( I have been learning the game on the $25PL tables - but thought I would give this a try) I turned this into $173 in about 45 mins.

Anyhow - just wanted to reverse-tilt. This is my biggest single hand win in a while and my first at Omaha Hi-lo

I saw the showdown with two hands -

I am CamelToeLick

Hand #1 (after 10 mins of play)

#Game No : 3473204714
***** Hand History for Game 3473204714 *****
$50 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Tuesday, January 31, 22:20:42 EDT 2006
Table Table 69171 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 2: redmun ( $20.26 )
Seat 7: driscoli ( $10 )
Seat 9: dave118 ( $41.05 )
Seat 10: Str8toMaui ( $39.84 )
Seat 1: CamelToeLick ( $36.90 )
Seat 6: amermark1 ( $50.30 )
Seat 4: humpdog1 ( $47.06 )
Seat 5: SEEKJESUS ( $43.35 )
CamelToeLick posts small blind [$0.25].
redmun posts big blind [$0.50].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to CamelToeLick [ 2c As 7h 3h ]
humpdog1 folds.
SEEKJESUS folds.
amermark1 folds.
driscoli folds.
dave118 raises [$1.75].
Str8toMaui folds.
CamelToeLick calls [$1.50].
redmun calls [$1.25].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7d, 5d, 2h ]
CamelToeLick bets [$0.50].
redmun calls [$0.50].
dave118 raises [$7].
CamelToeLick calls [$6.50].
redmun calls [$6.50].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6c ]
CamelToeLick checks.
redmun checks.
dave118 bets [$15].
CamelToeLick calls [$15].
redmun is all-In [$11.51]
** Dealing River ** [ 7c ]
CamelToeLick is all-In [$13.15]
dave118 calls [$13.15].
CamelToeLick shows [ 2c, As, 7h, 3h ] a full house, Sevens full of twos.
CamelToeLick shows 6,5,3,2,A for low.
redmun doesn't show [ Qs, 4s, Td, Kd ] a pair of sevens.
dave118 shows [ Ac, Ah, 4c, 8c ] a straight, four to eight.
dave118 shows 6,5,4,2,A for low.
CamelToeLick wins $16.64 from side pot #1 with a full house, Sevens full of twos.
CamelToeLick wins Lo ($16.64) from side pot #1 with 6,5,3,2,A.
CamelToeLick wins $28.89 from the main pot with a full house, Sevens full of twos.
CamelToeLick wins Lo ($28.89) from the main pot with 6,5,3,2,A.
Game #3473212089 starts.

Hand #2

#Game No : 3473434127
***** Hand History for Game 3473434127 *****
$50 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Tuesday, January 31, 22:53:18 EDT 2006
Table Table 69171 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: CamelToeLick ( $81.97 )
Seat 5: SEEKJESUS ( $97.85 )
Seat 7: FunPolice795 ( $9.20 )
Seat 8: FuggitIRaise ( $67.50 )
Seat 3: RagWarrior ( $35.10 )
Seat 9: brian1964 ( $55.60 )
Seat 6: Badkitty269 ( $48 )
Seat 10: Vince_Vodka ( $63.43 )
Seat 4: jgodd44199 ( $41.35 )
Seat 2: redmun ( $22.90 )
redmun posts small blind [$0.25].
RagWarrior posts big blind [$0.50].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to CamelToeLick [ 5s Ah As 9s ]
jgodd44199 calls [$0.50].
SEEKJESUS folds.
Badkitty269 folds.
FunPolice795 folds.
FuggitIRaise calls [$0.50].
brian1964 folds.
Vince_Vodka folds.
CamelToeLick calls [$0.50].
redmun calls [$0.25].
RagWarrior checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 3h, Ad, Kc ]
redmun checks.
RagWarrior checks.
jgodd44199 bets [$1].
FuggitIRaise calls [$1].
CamelToeLick raises [$3].
redmun calls [$3].
RagWarrior folds.
jgodd44199 calls [$2].
FuggitIRaise calls [$2].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Js ]
redmun bets [$3].
jgodd44199 folds.
FuggitIRaise calls [$3].
CamelToeLick calls [$3].
** Dealing River ** [ Jd ]
redmun bets [$7].
FuggitIRaise raises [$14].
CamelToeLick raises [$71.35].
redmun is all-In [$9.40]
FuggitIRaise is all-In [$47]
CamelToeLick shows [ 5s, Ah, As, 9s ] a full house, Aces full of jacks.
redmun doesn't show [ 5c, Qc, Tc, 3c ] a straight, ten to ace.
FuggitIRaise doesn't show [ 9d, Jh, Kh, Ac ] a full house, Jacks full of aces.
CamelToeLick wins $10.35 from side pot #2 with a full house, Aces full of jacks.
CamelToeLick wins $89.20 from side pot #1 with a full house, Aces full of jacks.
CamelToeLick wins $69.70 from the main pot with a full house, Aces full of jacks.
There was no qualifying low hand.
nh
redmun has left the table.

Comments

• Oh - before anyone points out the obvious - I did river both hands.

The first hand I had the low locked up so I felt I was free rolling my two pair to spike the boat.

I flopped the best hand the second time - and new I was behind with the first J to a Str8 - but the raise wasnt sufficient to get rid of me.

I was a bit worried about JJJJ - however, no one raised it enough to make me think they had Quads (I am pretty sure Fuggit would have potted if he hit quads).
  • Poker is easy when you hit the nuts :D
    nice hands though
  • Nice hands and nice wins Tom.
  • The first hand I had the low locked up so I felt I was free rolling my two pair to spike the boat.

heh, thats the kind of thinking that will turn you into a big loser at PLO8. You aren't freerolling your two pair, Anyone with an A2 is quartering and 75 is the nut two pair and you dont have it. While you hand is quite profitable, a freeroll implies you have no chance to lose.

Hand 1 you should be very careful about. You are OOP. Without a good read that villian is a donk, someone raising preflop likely has an A2, so really you are only good if one of three 2's flop since the 7 is just dangling.

Second hand you should pot it preflop with two limpers and AAxx.

Basic winning heuristic: Don't play for one side of the pot. That includes the nut low with no high facing heavy action.
  • Anyone with an A2 is quartering

I think you mean anyone with an A3 is quartering. More importantly though, you don't have the low "locked up". Your low can still be counterfeited. Plus there's a diamond flush and straight draws. You're hand is strong on the flop, but by no means a monster.

I'd probably aggree that with the AA (one suited) and a wheel card, you should be raising that pf for value, so that you can put in a meaningful pot sized bet when you flop the set of aces (charging the people that want to draw at their lows).

And FWIW, I don't know @#$% about PLO8, but that's my take on it, and I'm stickin to it...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    Anyone with an A2 is quartering

I'd probably aggree that with the AA (one suited) and a wheel card, you should be raising that pf for value, so that you can put in a meaningful pot sized bet when you flop the set of aces (charging the people that want to draw at their lows).

You are raising for isolation as AA does not play well in multiway pots without two wheel cards, two broadway cards or double suited
  • I agree with the comments,

SirWatts yes it is easy to win with the nuts - but sometimes difficult to get money out of the other players.

BBZ - never said I was free rolling - said I figured I was based on my assessment of the situation.

And as you will see with both hands - I didnt really invest big money into them until the river when I knew I had them.

If Fuggit had raised pot - I just call - but he didnt so I reraise. I didnt think he was selling the nuts.

As with AA - even when I tripped them I didnt bet them because and face card or A next gives someone else the str8 and betting that pot wouldnt have moved anyone off the pot anyhow.

I had very little invested until I boated - thats when i pulled in the extra 70$.

Again, I am just beginning at this and any advice helps. I dont think you need to be nearly as good at this game as you do Texas. I have had consistent winning sessions since I read Super System 2's section on Omaha about 2 weeks ago.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    The first hand I had the low locked up so I felt I was free rolling my two pair to spike the boat.

heh, thats the kind of thinking that will turn you into a big loser at PLO8. You aren't freerolling your two pair, Anyone with an A2 is quartering and 75 is the nut two pair and you dont have it. While you hand is quite profitable, a freeroll implies you have no chance to lose.

A2 is quartering???? the 2 is already counterfeited???

Also, I did think the other player was a donk - and I like 3 as my low card; less people are playing the 3 than the 2. And with two pair and a low - I figured there is a good chance i can win the high and the low. And it is possible that I just take the high or just quarter the low. In this sitaution at this table - I think most other players would do the same.
  • TNORTH wrote:
    BBC Z wrote:

A2 is quartering???? the 2 is already counterfeited???

Also, I did think the other player was a donk - and I like 3 as my low card; less people are playing the 3 than the 2. And with two pair and a low - I figured there is a good chance i can win the high and the low. And it is possible that I just take the high or just quarter the low. In this sitaution at this table - I think most other players would do the same.

My point was that unless one of the three 2's in the deck flops, you are likely heading towads being quatered. Sure, on this flop calling that big raise paid off cuz you flopped great, but you have to be aware of what your opponent can be raising. You need a hand that plays both ways. A23x without the suited ace or X as a broadway card is a marginal holding.

What flops can you scoop? Not many that don't open re-draws. Remember that your hand is a big dog to something as simple as A288 and is getting killed by AA2x (which again you need to understand your preflop raiser).
  • Actually...

For what it's worth, it's rarely a good idea to raise with AA in your hand when playing omaha... there is no such thing as isolation, considering for every ONE players you're against, you're dealing with 6 possible hands. Raising defines your hand completely (see hand 1!). Not to mention that Tom's overall hand is NOT very good (has one of his flush outs, and 9-5 doesn't play too well with aces). Combine this with the fact that it's low-limit OM8, you're not chasing a lot of people out. I think Tom's call to see the flop was excellent.

Second, once you flop a set, the number of outs for either quads or a boat is 10 (by the turn) so that's not too bad... Thirdly, in the second hand... that redmun guy was raising, and he obviously was a donk.

Great work Tom... aren't you glad you started!!!
  • This is Pot Limit, you certainly can raise people out with position. This is a hand you raise in LP to drive people out and call with in EP hoping for a raise behind you to reopen the pot. You don't want to play this hand against multiple players.

In limit it's a different story and this hand is barely playable.
  • I agree BBZ - I would never play that hand from EP or even MP - I was on the button - the only reason I played the hand. The nice thing about these low - limit games is that you can see hands from late position for cheap - and if you hit the pots can grow very quickly. Also according to the point system and any A23 is playable from late position.

GTA I do agree that you can get people out of pots on occassion. But this was late at night on a loose low limit table - I didnt see many people folding after they had committed one BB.

I do have a general question - GTA - I have never played PL08 limit before. But, I have read that PL08 is basically an invention of the internet gaming sites and is actually never played real life?

I know that all tourney structures are limit. What are the big strategy changes between PL08 PL and Limit? Similar to that of texas or should I be adopting a complete different game for Limit tournaments vs PL ring??

Any advice would be great!
  • I have never seen a live PLO8 spread, but I have a friend who was a dealer in England for years and they would spread it in a biggggg $$$ (as in Devilfish played that game) homegame there. PLO is not uncommon.

As for tournies, I much prefer PLO8 and you can find them mostly on Stars (the low limit rebuys are good games and there's one running right now your could watch), Paradise and Pokerroom.

Live I've only seen limit O8 spread for tournies.

The main strategy differences tend to be most apparent as the stack:blind ratio decreases and you push big high hands for isolation in PLO8.

The best PLO8 sngs are on stars at the $15 or $32 levels, both being turbos but giving you pretty decent play. Try one of the lower limit ones out, they can be addictive and a nice diversion from holdem.

If you ever want to try a soft live O8 game let me know, there's a good weekly one in Mississauga, 4 8 with a 1/2 kill....it's also a stud 8 rotation...once you play it you'll be addicted.