Hand from $20 MTT

Okay, this hand occured 5 places from the money. Just curious who here does what. I'll post the results later.

PokerStars Game #3748989288: Tournament #18469670, Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2006/01/25 - 01:55:07 (ET)
Table '18469670 66' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: cottonbud (7511 in chips)
Seat 2: gwaresh (4865 in chips)
Seat 3: aquraX (16980 in chips)
Seat 4: bignutsmp (17054 in chips)
Seat 5: enjoyin_nyc (11008 in chips)
Seat 6: polaris3239 (11235 in chips)
Seat 7: c4dawgs55 (18669 in chips)
Seat 8: ronbill (18222 in chips)
Seat 9: SamENoles#1 (4165 in chips)
cottonbud: posts the ante 50
gwaresh: posts the ante 50
aquraX: posts the ante 50
bignutsmp: posts the ante 50
enjoyin_nyc: posts the ante 50
polaris3239: posts the ante 50
c4dawgs55: posts the ante 50
ronbill: posts the ante 50
SamENoles#1: posts the ante 50
ronbill: posts small blind 300
SamENoles#1: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SamENoles#1 [Qc Kc]cottonbud: folds
gwaresh: folds
aquraX: raises 1200 to 1800
bignutsmp: folds
enjoyin_nyc: folds
polaris3239: folds
c4dawgs55: folds
ronbill: folds
SamENoles#1:  ????

Comments

• I think you're too short to do anything but stick it in. A read would be nice but he could easily be trying to use the bubble to his advantage here so it's hard to put him on a super-tight range.
  • Okay, I think I am def. comitted to playing this hand, the question is how. Its not that exiting, but I decided to go for a stop and go, (or dave what dave calls "hunting foxes in the dark" maybe, not sure) Anyways here are the results.

SamENoles#1: calls 1200
    *** FLOP *** [7c 7h 9c]
    polaris3239 said, "u got this sam fan"
    SamENoles#1: bets 2315 and is all-in
    aquraX: calls 2315
    polaris3239 said, "nh"
    *** TURN *** [7c 7h 9c] [Ac]
    *** RIVER *** [7c 7h 9c Ac] [4h]
    aquraX said, "nh"
    SamENoles#1 said, "ty"
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    SamENoles#1: shows [Qc Kc] (a flush, Ace high)
    aquraX: shows [Ks Jc] (a pair of Sevens)
    SamENoles#1 collected 8980 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 8980 | Rake 0
    Board [7c 7h 9c Ac 4h]
    Seat 1: cottonbud folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: gwaresh folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: aquraX showed [Ks Jc] and lost with a pair of Sevens
    Seat 4: bignutsmp folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: enjoyin_nyc folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: polaris3239 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: c4dawgs55 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: ronbill (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 9: SamENoles#1 (big blind) showed [Qc Kc] and won (8980) with a flush, Ace high

So the flop was actually very good, even though I am pushing no matter what comes. I lucked out that he had KJ, and it worked out for me, even if I just pushed Pre. Anyways, just curious who here would make the same play, or if and why they favour pusing preflop.

thanks
  • If all the money is going in anyway, regardless of the flop then why not push it in straight off. Maybe he was just making a raise to take advantage of the bubble situation, in which case he lays this down(not likely) and you take a smaller pot, but are still alive with a couple more blinds to spare.

The only reason I think I might call here is if there were players to act behind me and I wanted a little more money in the pot hoping to hit big and get back in the hunt, these players are not likely to fold huge hands that beat your KQ, but they may call with hands like J10 etc attracted to the big pot and hoping to hit a big flop.

However, there was noone to act behind you, and like you said, you are comitted to getting your money in here regardless. So get your money in.

Just the way I see it, and if you've read any of my posts regarding tournaments, you'll know that I've never won one of them, so..........buyer beware.

Cheers
  • Idon't think you have much fold equity either way really. I think you only ever fold out worse hands on the flop, but if you have the best hand you want him all-in preflop.