Using Time Online

Just wondering opinions of using time between bets (raising especially, checking, calling) to gain more ROI on your nuts hand, potential winning hand, and marginal hands (top pair, middle pair, etc).

I have found this to be very beneficial when I am 80%-90% sure I have the winning hand. By taking a bit longer after the flop to call or raise in late position, Ive been able to get more money out of the opponent, and get maximum profitability.

I obviously, also, found that waiting longer (to the buzzer or almost) before calling or checking then creats a 'strong hand' to opponents. Moreover, having a 'solid' or 'tight aggressive' image at the table gives you longer times more respect at the table, when checking or calling.

By also waiting longer before calling, usually opponents think that the hand I have is lousy, or worse then there's (at least). If I have a strong hand I like and its down to 2 or 3 handed, then I will use a wait time when calling so that I can achieve maximum profitability (unless there's a suckout).

What have you found?

Comments

• I think the stalling and then raising tell is one of the worst that you can create for yourself in online poker.
  • You can't assume anything. Someone who is constantly stalling I assume is multi-tabling, and I usually do a search to check for sure. Maybe they are off taking a wizz because they really had to go badly. Maybe their wife is talking in their ear while they are trying to play ...

Wife: "Why aren't you paying attention to me?"
    You: "Because I'm playing poker and I have a pocket pair"
    Wife: "Did you remember to scoop the cat litter today it stinks downstairs?"
    You: "I will do it later"
    Wife: "That's what you said last night"

Don't read too much into stalling and I wouldn't get too used to the tactic either.
  • I agree, but as a generality stalling means you're deciding to fold or call. In live or online play you are indicating a big hand by stalling and raising. This is a big tell from most lower limit players. Especially those that are single.
  • I find that it's good to take the same amount of time on every single hand, nuts, or crap.
  • I don't know about others, but I never actually read too much into the amount of time someone takes to call/raise or what not.
  • Taking a lot of time then raising is way too obvious. Taking a lot of time then calling, especially on the turn, can be effective against certain players since it's more believable.
  • SirWatts wrote:
    Taking a lot of time then raising is way too obvious.  Taking a lot of time then calling, especially on the turn, can be effective against certain players since it's more believable.

that's what i ment...... obviously when taking time then raising,..... the opponent likely suspects a big hand......... on the other hand (no pun intented) ive also found that taking time when calling especially makes the opponent think you hand is shitty 70-90% of the time.....