Hand for Analysis

I submit to the poker wisdom of the Forum and hand for analysis (and general verbal abuse)

Final hand of a NL winner take all tounament.
Not sure if I could get away from this given the size of the blinds and chip stacks.
Villian has been playing very agressive.

Be Gentle :D

Hobbes

==============================

STAGE #303567080 TOURNEY ID 68189 HOLDEM MULTI NORMAL TOURNAMENT NO LIMIT $400 - 2006-01-22 23:35:35 (ET)
Table: 1 (Real Money) Seat #3 is the dealer
Seat 3 - Villian ($31325 in chips)
Seat 4 - Hero ($13175 in chips)
Villian - Ante $75
Hero - Ante $75
Villian - Posts small blind $400
Hero - Posts big blind $800
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Jd 3d]
Villian - Raises $1200 to $1600
Should I have just called here?
Hero - Raises $3200 to $4000
Villian - Calls $2400
*** FLOP *** [2h 3c 5c]
Low flop. looked pretty good.
Probably should have checked

Hero - All-In $9100
Villian - Calls $9100
*** TURN *** [2h 3c 5c] [6d]
*** RIVER *** [2h 3c 5c 6d] [Qs]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Villian - Shows [Kc 3h] (One pair, threes)
Hero - Shows [Jd 3d] (One pair, threes)
Villian Collects $26350 from main pot

Comments

• Fold pre-flop. I don't believe that the size of the blinds is high enough that I will be raising with J3 suited unless i believe that he will lay his hand down.
  • Hide the end results so you won't get biased replies.

I would fold preflop, blinds are not that big yet that you need to be making a stand. You can possibly trap him with a hand later on.
  • Villian has been playing very agressive.

..and how have you been playing? Do you re-raise a lot? Call a lot? Fold a lot? Have you showndown marginal hands? Have you been folding on later streets? Does he fold to your re-raises? Does he go to the river with any pair? Continuation Bets? Has he ever not contested your BB?

If you want to disect a headsup NL hand, you have to be able to provide information on yourself as well as your opponent.

Personally, if he's aggressive, I call and see what happens on the flop based on his prior history. If he'll constantly continuation bet, then I'd look for any pair on the flop to raise him (and likely pot commit myself).
  • I play alot of heads-up.

I'd call, I don't see the value in that reraise unless you've seen him fold to your reraises in the past.
  • I would likely just call pre-flop, and check-raise all-in on the flop against a typical or unknown opponent (i.e., one who would bet a lot of flops). I am probably going broke catching that good a flop heads-up against all but the most passive and predictable opponents. Even against the idea adversary, it still wouldn't be easy to get away from the hand IMO.

Nothing wrong with either calling or folding pre-flop. Depends on how your opponent has been playing his SB's so far. Re-raising pre-flop (another plausibel choice, again, depending on your opponent to some degree) should be to all-in, since the primary function of a pre-flop re-raise with J3s should be to bluff. Unfortunately, I think that the actual pre-flop play you decided on (re-raising to less than all-in) is the least appealing option of the four.

ScottyZ