easy call / easy laydown ?

$1 Tourney...no reads...

PokerStars Game #3703567854: Tournament #18043913, Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/01/20 - 23:26:11 (ET)
Table '18043913 126' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: kanada kid (7065 in chips)
Seat 2: trs13 (1680 in chips)
Seat 3: Aesoe (7450 in chips)
Seat 4: mads777 (4090 in chips)
Seat 5: Madruguinha (3430 in chips)
Seat 6: hambone317 (7190 in chips)
Seat 7: mxbar (1950 in chips)
Seat 8: coilers1 (3280 in chips)
Seat 9: MILLINIUM (2360 in chips)
coilers1: posts small blind 50
MILLINIUM: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mads777 [ :ah   :kd]
kanada kid: calls 100
trs13: calls 100
Aesoe: raises 7350 to 7450 and is all-in

mads777 ?

Comments

• um... in a $1 i call. In a bigger tourney I think its an easy fold.
  • Depends how serious you're taking this tourney. If you plan to use this as a practice tourney, play seroius etc..I would fold. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes this play with AQ, or hands alot worse since it is a $1 tourney.
  • Who cares if its a 1.00 tourney. I assume you played in it to try to win it.
    With Blinds at 50/100, you have a TON of time to get your money in in a better spot

If people have a Bankroll of 100000.00 and are playing in a 215.00 tourney, do they call because its only 215.00?

If you signed up for it, play it right, and fold.
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    Who cares if its a 1.00 tourney. I assume you played in it to try to win it.
    With Blinds at 50/100, you have a TON of time to get your money in in a better spot

If people have a Bankroll of 100000.00 and are playing in a 215.00 tourney, do they call because its only 215.00?

If you signed up for it, play it right, and fold.

Very good point Wolff, but the point is the quality of the oppnents will differ, and thus the hand they'll likely hold will be different
  • Easy call.

In a $1 buy-in tourney your opponent is more likely to have a hand like 92s than AA.

And to be clear, I would most definitely make this play with the intention of maximizing my chances of winning the tournament. The $1 buy-in matters in terms of what range of hands I can put the opponent on. I totally agree that "oh come on, it's just a dollar" would be flawed thinking.

Interestingly, you can often catch your opponents in a "who cares about $1" mode of thinking in micro buy-in tourneys. Take advantage of it when you get the chance.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I totally agree that "oh come on, it's just a dollar" would be flawed thinking.

I guess I should have been clearer, but I did not mean this. I meant that the opponent probably doesnt have a spectacular hand. Call.
  • It is highly unlikely he would make a bonehead play like this with AA or KK. Possible I guess if he has a pathological fear of having Aces cracked. So he's got QQ or less, likely much less. Maybe AK or a weaker Ace. Or total crap.

So I would put you at something at least in the order of 45% or better to win the hand. The extra 250 in the pot represents about 5% of your stack. Just enough to skew this in favour of a call from a mathematical point of view.

A bit crazy maybe but a double up now does give you a much better chance at winning the whole thing. I would call and close my eyes.
  • Easy Call.

It's a $1 tournament and I can see alot of weak players going all in this early with almost anything. He might have aces, but chances are better he doesn't. You stand a great chance to double up and place well on the board to the final table.
  • thax everyone for responses...

Considering the buy-in..bust mostly the level of skill...I though it was an easy call...but after loosing to his 73o...I started to think about it...  :'(   :D

just kidding...

I just wanted to confirm my analysis considering the situation was OK...like sometimes I will see a pocket pair...but often I will see a weaker ace...or just total crap...so call is in order...