Playing against loose agressive players

Hi Dave,

I sometimes play in a very loose aggressive game - meaning:
- a lot of the betting rounds are capped
- there is ALWAYS a showdown
- it is virtually impossible to bluff

Since I consider myself a fair player, I initially thought that these games would be easy to win by playing tight aggressive. However, I have not had too much success in these games. What is particularly frustrating is that sometimes I will lose with the second best hand when I go to the showdown or I end up throwing away a marginal hand which would have turned out to be the winner b/c I was bullied out.

Any suggestions? By the way, we usually play Omaha 8 or Better.

Comments

• Against some kinds of aggressive players the correct play is to respond with even greater aggression. This does not appear to be the case here.
    I sometimes play in a very loose aggressive game - meaning:
    - a lot of the betting rounds are capped
    - there is ALWAYS a showdown
    - it is virtually impossible to bluff

Under these circumstances, you will obviously need to finish with the best hand. This calls for basic tight aggressive strategy. Start with the best hand and make them pay. It will tend to be a high variance but very profitable game.

Particularly if the game is Omaha eight-or-better. For O-8 you really need to adopt a NUT strategy. On the flop you HAVE the nuts or you have a draw to the nuts. Speculating and guessing which way your opponents are going will cost you a lot in the long run.

Play VERY tight.
  • Dave,

I have tried a very tight and aggressive strategy but sometimes I find that I will fold when the betting continues. But sometimes when I fold, I am frustrated to see that I laid down the winning hand. For example, I would have a flush on Omaha 8 or better but not the nut flush. Then the board pairs - which means that I am beat by either a better flush or a full house. The betting continues, I lay down my hand and I realize that a baby flush takes the pot.

Is my strategy still correct then - to only show down the stone cold nuts or do I really need to take my game to the next level and 'know' when a good hand but not the nuts will hold up and when I really do need the nuts to win and lay down a great hand but not the the nuts?

I guess that is just a skill that one would have to develop over many sessions and perhaps years of poker experience.
  • You will probably have a lot of trouble "putting a read" on a game like this. I think the best strategy is to, essentially, play only the nuts. Tight is right but fasten your steabelt because it will be a rough ride.