How do you play this MTT hand

Its still early, you have showndown a couple of hands, showing big hands. Table is tight, very limited pre-flop raising, a lot of limpers.

There are still 1100 people left, 396 get paid.

PokerStars Game #3690830337: Tournament #18043806, Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/01/19 - 19:54:11 (ET)
Table '18043806 180' Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: Scary_Tiger (5810 in chips)
Seat 2: superman1975 (1065 in chips)
Seat 3: xXx929 (1405 in chips)
Seat 4: Panmanpoker (3938 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: chezwhiz2005 (3067 in chips)
Seat 6: TBuck19 (4145 in chips)
Seat 7: nobru83 (2685 in chips)
Seat 8: NY2AZPlayer (4825 in chips)
Seat 9: Wolffhound (5975 in chips)
Scary_Tiger: posts small blind 50
superman1975: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Wolffhound
xXx929: calls 100
Panmanpoker: folds
chezwhiz2005: folds
TBuck19: folds
nobru83: calls 100
NY2AZPlayer: calls 100
Wolffhound: ?

There's 450 in the pot when its to you...what do you do?

Comments

• I'd make it between 400-500 to go. I'd like to play this pot heads up with position (and hopefully win with a flop bet) or take it preflop. Generally I think somewhere in this range is enough to accomplush that, you shoulld have some idea how much based on how tight the limpers have been plahying.
  • Personally, I just call. To many hands out there to beat you or be racing with you and to many donks to overvalue those hands and see a flop for 400-500 more. I could imagine you raising here and still getting called by all but maybe one of them. Once that happens, sure you'll get respect for your re-raise but if anyone hits anything they wil surely have odds to chase whatever they are after.

I also prefer to get more definition of my hand postflop. It disguises my hand better and is easier for me to read when action is put to the original raiser and he is forced with a call/bet. I like this one.

stp
  • In the scenario you described, I think that TT is about the borderline hand between calling and raising.

I feel that I'd raise most of the time here with JJ and limp in most of the time with 99. It's no wonder that TT is a close, and interesting, decision.

So, basically I agree with both replies so far. :)

ScottyZ
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure why, and that's why I posted this hand early on, but, I raised to 1000. Wanting to take the pot right there, with the limited amount of raising pre-flop, I really thought they'd fold and I'd take it down right there.

UTG re-raised all in then folded to me, which was only 300 more to me, I called 10's vs AJc
    He hit an A and I was left wondering why I played the hand like I did.

Thanks again for the input.
  • I think normally I'd call in this situation 2/3 times and raise 1/3...but with your read on a tight table I'd put in a pot size bet in this situation and see what the flop brings. Most likely anyone calling will have over cards and if it's a scary flop you can get away from it without committing too much...or they'll fold to you and you take the pot then an there....that said I can't say you played this wrong, in fact you ended up isolating the small stack and getting all his chips in with you as a slight favourite for approx 1/5 of your stack....I don't mind that race at all?