A HH

This is a hand from a tourney that I did DING DING DING.   Does anyone understand this hand?  Once down to three I was kinda letting this guy treat me like a little wuss, waiting to punish him. On the hand in question, I figured he had a weak hand and would fold... giving me some respect as the premise for my reraise.  He didnt.  When I saw his hand I was happy.. not thrilled, but I knew I had a chance to lock up the tourney right then (the other guy that came 2nd, was terrible. Truly, super nice guy but made awful post-flop calls). I know what it takes to win a tourney, and fearless gambling some lucky lucky small edges that hit help win tourneys.   After my resteal failed, I was obligated to call the last 15k.   After this hand he started to bereate my play and say i sucked.     BTW i had the K4.

*********** # 34 **************
PokerStars Game #3675017629: Tournament #18043681, Hold'em Pot Limit - Level XV
(2000/4000) - 2006/01/18 - 04:18:51 (ET)
Table '18043681 6' Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: BIGDADYG (104445 in chips)
Seat 6: Upstairs (86426 in chips)
Seat 9: Octavian_C (52129 in chips)
BIGDADYG: posts small blind 2000
Upstairs: posts big blind 4000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Upstairs [Kh 4c]
Octavian_C: raises 8000 to 12000
BIGDADYG: folds
Upstairs: raises 26000 to 38000
Octavian_C: raises 14129 to 52129 and is all-in
Upstairs: calls 14129
*** FLOP *** [9h Tc Jh]
BIGDADYG said, "all night hasnt said a word Oct"
*** TURN *** [9h Tc Jh] [2d]
*** RIVER *** [9h Tc Jh 2d] [3h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Upstairs: shows [Kh 4c] (high card King)
Octavian_C: shows [Ac Jc] (a pair of Jacks)
BIGDADYG said, "nh"
Octavian_C collected 106258 from pot
Octavian_C said, "hm"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 106258 | Rake 0
Board [9h Tc Jh 2d 3h]
Seat 1: BIGDADYG (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: Upstairs (big blind) showed [Kh 4c] and lost with high card King
Seat 9: Octavian_C (button) showed [Ac Jc] and won (106258) with a pair of Jacks

Ac Jc  1133317  66.19   569837  33.28  9150  0.53  0.665
4c Kh   569837  33.28  1133317  66.19  9150  0.53  0.335

Comments

• Why would he fold? His M is at about 8, he's already put one-quarter of his chips in the pot and AJs is a great hand against 1 player. He's sitting in third in chips and has to make a move if he wants to finish any better. Sure you re-raised but should he really be worried about you having AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK or AQ? Maybe a little bit but I think he's got too many reasons to stay in the hand at this point. If you have it, he might go broke but this is a very good chance for him to double up. More likely you've got a smaller pair or a weaker ace or any two cards.

I'm guessing he may have seen you try a steal or resteal at the table and he's not giving you credit for much of a hand anyway.
  • sorry for saying u suck
  • i let him have my previous like 8 big blinds so i thought watever.
    im a donk and

i play reckless.
  • oh and i just made my 2nd stars MTT final in a row.  260 people 22$ NL.

I SUCK

edit: bah came 6th.
  • congrats....every donk has his day :D

u playing the sunday 215? i'm trying to decide, i was bored and played a 1500fpp sat and won, dont know if i'll have the time though
  • harthgosh wrote:
    i let him have my previous like 8 big blinds so i thought watever.
    im  a donk and

i play reckless. 
    Ok, so you're saying he's been stealing a lot and you couldn't put him on much of a hand then? Your move is fine if he's on a true steal but given his cards, he's unlikely to fold. Your timing was off is all I can say.

Congrats on the results.
  • GTA Poker wrote:
    sorry for saying u suck

Sorry, how many times did you money in the WCOOP again?
    Your move is fine if he's on a true steal but given his cards, he's unlikely to fold. Your timing was off is all I can say

We don't play poker with our cards faceup. HG has been letting his opponent run over him with passive play. That should translate into Villian giving his re-raises preflop more respect.

It makes no sense to say that Villian is pot committed just because he raised 2BB preflop. If you would call a passive's all-in preflop without very premium cards, you have a leak.
  • If you would fold AJs under the given circumstances, you are very weak.
  • I guess the thing I struggle with myself is the reraise and then allin call. As a general question that hopefully someone can answer - if you were going to call the allin anyways, is it not better just to reraise him allin in the first place? Is there any value in just making the raise vs an allin raise?
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    If you would fold AJs under the given circumstances, you are very weak.

The point (which of course you constantly miss because you think in terms of results) is that in this instance villian had a hand worth calling. Over the longer haul, the re-steal works.
    I guess the thing I struggle with myself is the reraise and then allin call.

They tend to not let you bet more than the pot in Pot Limit Holdem.
  • A bare K-high is not a bad hand to make a steal (including a re-steal) with 3-handed.

If you would always fold this hand in the scenario, you would, IMHO, be playing incorrectly. Folding it often, and raising with it sometimes, is better. There is no "one way" to play this hand in this spot.

Leaning towards making the re-steal here after you have been recently playing tighly is certainly reasonable. Many players throw around the terminology "changing gears" without knowing what it actually means. This hand, including the play background that HG provided, is a textbook example of changing gears. It is worth thinking about this play again with fresh eyes if you initially thought it was a poor one.
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    If you would fold AJs under the given circumstances, you are very weak.

Agreed. Folding the AJs would be awful. Also, playing in a 3-handed game as if you knew your raising opponent had AJs or better would be awful.

ScottyZ
  • This is fine, you were unlucky to run into a real hand. I find a tight image doesn't always get you respect on a play like this either because people don't pay attention or they know that you're not going to sit there much longer, you're going to make a move. Just an observation but I still think the play is good.