WSOP videos

Anyone know where online these can be ordered?

Comments

• Not official but try Ebay, I've seen them sold there from time to time.
  • I did find them on ebay, but the one I ordered from 1999 did not include the camera shots of the hole cards.....not knowing what players had made watching it a little boring.
  • Yeah, they didn't start showing the holecards until the last few years.
  • sorry to do this in a seperate post but here is where you can buy the WSOP tapes new...

http://www.holdemtips.com/WSOP-Videos.htm
  • You can usually buy them at the Gamblers Book Club http://www.gamblersbookclub.com and
    The Gamblers General Store http://www.gamblersgeneralstore.com

Binions gift shop also sells them and I think they will ship.
  • Sweet!!! I've been looking for these videos for the longest time! I love this forum!

For the 1998 video, do they not show Hole cards at all? Is it still worth buying?
  • For the 1998 video, do they not show Hole cards at all? Is it still worth buying?

Actually, they don't show the hole cards until 2003 if I'm not mistaken.

The later videos (2001-2002 i think) the ones produced by the discovery channel are NOT worth getting...they are more like a documentary on WSOP

Also, I believe '98 is one of the less exciting ones because the final table starts off short handed...it was the year Rounders cast played to plug the movie and there is a lot of "filler" content to make up for the final table being short.
  • Sloth is correct 2003 was the first year for hole cards.

The videos are a good watch for the most part (with a a few duds). You get to see some interesting momemnts like in 1998 when Scotty Nguyen and Kevin McBride get heads-up. McBride knows he is the poorer player so moves all-in and then goes to the bathroom so Scotty can not get a read on him.

I have one from 1973 (or 1974) that has comentary by (I think) Howard Cosell. This is interesting to see all the "old guys" when they looked "young".
  • Sweet! Thanks for the info!

Still trying to figure out which ones I should get. Maybe I'll just have to get WPT season 1 then, so I can learn more by watching.
  • yeah, watching poker without knowing the hole cards is less than exciting...drops it down to a level almost as low as world series of blackjack :wink:

...yet i'm still watching it...
  • WTP is the only one I can find on TV but man, I wouldnt spend money on a WPT DVD, I couldnt listen to that much 'Van Patten' holy crap this guy's a moron some of the time... my all time favorite one is " WPT tour", man... If only there was a to mute Van Patten but keep the player mics... Then i'd spend money.
  • If they put Lederer, May & Konik (commentators from the "Showdown at the Sands" series) on audio, together with the WPT visual production (with maybe just a touch more editing), you'd have a monster poker show.

ScottyZ
  • If anyone is still looking for the WPT DVD season 1 there available on
    ebay.ca. shipped from Canada.. It's cool to see how the pro's play against the amateur players. I've definetely picked up a few strategies in no limit by watching some footage.. Lot's to learn yet..
  • I get all of mine at the Gamblers Book Store in vegas as well. My wife got me I think about 4-5 of them for xmas last year. I think I could probably create a great big huge debate on whether showing the hole cards make it better or not. Here is my opinion in brief:

For a poker player I think they would rather NOT see the hole cards until the hand is over or the chips are committed. i.e. you see someone make a big bet and you are there tyring to figure out what he has before they go ahead and show you.

For the joe blow watching, well there is no debate, the hole cards make it much more watchable for people that don't know much about poker.

Granted there are reasons that I like seeing the hole cards but I wanted to take the other point of view in that one ... I know there are lots of times where I was watching say the 1997 series when Stuey wins and trying to figure out what he has. And then come to the wrong conclusion and find that you too were bluffed by Stuey! hehehe

Another of my favourites is the 1973 series won by Puggy Pearson. A lot of reasons for this ... Naturally the video and commentary are rather poor (from a technical standpoint). But watching the players show their cards and tried to get reads on other players was really great. After watching that year I became a very big puggy fan and got a glimpse of what johnny moss used to be. There are a couple of books that focus on that year (1973) as well ... so it is interesting to read that stuff and have had a chance to watch it as well.

.kw
  • For a poker player I think they would rather NOT see the hole cards until the hand is over or the chips are committed. i.e. you see someone make a big bet and you are there tyring to figure out what he has before they go ahead and show you.

For the joe blow watching, well there is no debate, the hole cards make it much more watchable for people that don't know much about poker.

Agreed, although as a poker player I would probably enjoy the coverage either way. I think this is a great example of something that could be done very well on a poker DVD... something like two tracks, with or without hole cards.

ScottyZ
  • Oh that is a good idea!! You get the rights to all the WSOP tapes and you can transfer them to DVD and put that option in ... how cool would that be!

Granted it would be better if you could somehow turn it on and off as you go ... i.e think about it then get immediate answer based on your read. But that is probably asking too much.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    For a poker player I think they would rather NOT see the hole cards until the hand is over or the chips are committed. i.e. you see someone make a big bet and you are there tyring to figure out what he has before they go ahead and show you.

Agreed, although as a poker player I would probably enjoy the coverage either way. I think this is a great example of something that could be done very well on a poker DVD... something like two tracks, with or without hole cards.

ScottyZ

sounds like a great idea :D
    wonders if i can be done though :unsure:
    something like a toolbar and click it to turn it off and on :?: