Pokerforum.ca chess tournament??

Anyone who is interested, post here... when we know how many people we have, we can decide on a tournament structure.

Personally, I am a fan of games with very long time controls. At least 60 min of clock per player.

Keith

Comments

• Count me in. Thanks for heading this up, Keith.

Regards,
    all_aces

ps: I haven't played chess since University, unless you count a couple of more recent games against my girlfriend, and believe me, those really don't count...
  • Count me in...

--Mike
  • all_aces wrote:
    Count me in. Thanks for heading this up, Keith.

Regards,
    all_aces

ps: I haven't played chess since University, unless you count a couple of more recent games against my girlfriend, and believe me, those really don't count...

Neither have I. Although University wasnt that long ago

If you want to just play a game some time let me know. If you have yahoo messenger, IM me (userid = "kbellul"). We can play on Yahoo games... its simple and requires no downloads (although you have to sign up for a yahoo ID if you don't have one). If you want to take the time to download a client, check out FICS (www.freechess.org). It is better than Yahoo in almost every conceivable way, although there is a bit of a learning curve involved with using the server. Nothing too difficult but some of my more computer illiterate friends have had trouble with it.

Keith
  • funny this came up.
    just the other day i started to design a chess set based on a playing card theme. i've been looking online for one, but could only find one i have to paint myself, or one that's around $1500 US. i was going to aske if anyone here played, but didn't.

"great story dan"
    yeah...

so, i'd be in for it
  • The last chess tournament I was in Jay was sitting beside me...and we got destroyed!! :lol:
  • Count me in as well....

Although as a newbie I hoped the first game that I played with you guys was poker...lol

But I love both regardless....
  • lol Dan...

I am the proud owner of a Simpson's chess set. It's pretty cool actually, all the pieces are made of some sort of rubber/plastic composite, so they're pretty heavy and sturdy.

As I recall, Homer's the king, Marge is the queen, Lisa's the rook, Maggie's the knight, Grandpa's the bishop, and 8 little Bart's are the pawns.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • yeah, those pieces have a great feel to them.
    if i had the resources, i'd want my pieces to be made of that.
    but i don't, so not sure what i'm going to do.

there are some great themed sets out there tho.
  • I'll play!
  • I'd gladly play in a little Chess tournament. I play on Yahoo with the usernams Some12. Please don't check my history it's emberassing... um..forget what i just said i'll make a new username j/k

Cheers,
    R3d
  • The last chess tournament I was in Jay was sitting beside me...and we got destroyed!! :lol:

Yeah, I know!! Our school team, which equaled all of the other schools in number combined, got OWNED. That was such a horrible memory...

Anyways, I'm down for a little tournament action. Let me know of the details. My Yahoo username is RasKassianoSOI.

Anyone down for some Yahoo Pool as well? I can owned anyone here at that...
  • I'll play for sure, though I would prefer 20 minutes each per game.
  • When are we playing this? I think 20 mintue game would be the best. Maybe even less...
  • Ok, so there seems to be some interest in this thing.

As far as the time thing goes: Personally, I don't play games with short time controls (I consider 20 minutes to be very VERY short). I generally won't play a timed game unless if I have AT LEAST 45 min on my clock (I prefer 60). That's assuming that there's no "increment", ie, a certain number of seconds added each time you make a move.

That's not to say that I always use my whole clock (I usually don't come close) but the point is that I never want to feel rushed at all. IMO that changes the game significantly, in a way that I don't like.

Keith
  • Yeah, sorry HellmuthFan, I agree with Keith on this one. Mostly because I'm not a great player and I'll need all the time I can get. One hour sounds reasonably reasonable.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Ok... let's do this: So far we have the following people:

all_aces
    MickeyHoldem
    Dan808
    HellmuthFan
    Don Carlito
    dvst8r
    R3d-3y3s
    Jay
    professor

Add me to that, and we have 10 players.

I have no idea how to organize this. I have played in chess tournaments before and they always followed some format that I didn't understand. If there were fewer players I'd suggest round robin but it's too much with 10 players.

Keith
  • I say that we just do a round robin of three matches. The top eight or four make it to the next round, then we play it down from there. Or if we get 6 more, then we could do a full bracket tourney.
  • Jay wrote:
    I say that we just do a round robin of three matches. The top eight or four make it to the next round, then we play it down from there. Or if we get 6 more, then we could do a full bracket tourney.

What do you mean by a round robin? As far as I know, the term "round robin" means that everyone plays everyone else once. That would mean everyone playing 9 games, which is too much.

What we COULD do is break it up randomly into 2 groups of 5, and play round robins within the two groups, and then have the two group champs play each other for the championship. That way it is 4 games each, and 5 for the two group winners. What do you think?

The problems with bracket tourneys for chess is that there are a lot of draws, and no penalty shootouts. With round robin's it's not a problem (0 pts for a loss, 1/2 for a draw, 1 for a win) but once you try to do an elimination thing it doesn't work so well.

Keith
  • Most chess tourneys are run using a swiss pairing system. Most small tourneys in Canada and U.S. would be 5 rounds. I can handle the pairings if you like. Just let me know when you want to start.
  • all_aces wrote:
    I am the proud owner of a Simpson's chess set.

Me too. Had it for about 5 years now. lmao Too funny.
  • I like the idea of breaking it up into 2 groups of five and then the 2 champs move on. Makes at least 4 games for everyone.
  • Most chess tourneys are run using a swiss pairing system. Most small tourneys in Canada and U.S. would be 5 rounds. I can handle the pairings if you like. Just let me know when you want to start.

This is the system that has been used in tournaments that I've been in (online). But I don't understand it. I guess I could look it up. This would probably be the best way of doing things.

Keith
  • Ok, let's do this thing! I just read up on the Swiss pairing system and it's actually not all that complicated. The basic idea is, you play your games against people who have the same number of points as you (or as close as possible). Efforts are made to ensure that you are not black (or white) for two games in a row. Usually the first round pairings would be based on ratings, but since we don't have ratings, I'll just randomize them.

This will be a 5-round tournament. I'd ask that everyone play all 5 of their games, and not drop out because you are 0-3 after your first 3 games, because this messes everything up for everyone else.

First round pairings: (I did these by pulling names out of a hat)

(W) professor vs (B) dvst8r
    (W) Dan808 vs (B) R3d-3y3s
    (W) all_aces vs (B) Don Carlito
    (W) HellmuthFan vs (B) Jay
    (W) MickeyHoldem vs (B) MiamiKeith

It's important that you play the colours assigned to you. Get in touch with your opponent and decide how you will play. There are a variety of online sites where you can play for free. Out of the ones that I have tried, Yahoo! Games (http://games.yahoo.com) is the easiest to set up and use, and the Free Internet Chess Server (www.freechess.org) is the all-around best.

As far as time limits go, I think that 1hr per player is reasonably long enough. This is pretty informal, so if two players agree to play with different (or no) time limits that's fine too. The second round pairings will be announced as soon as all the first round matches are done. When you finish your match, just make a post on this thread with the result. Try to get your matches done ASAP, at least within the next week, so that the tourney is not held up for too long.

Good luck to everyone...

Keith
  • MiamiKeith wrote:

How did I know this was going to happen :lol:
  • MiamiKeith wrote:

lol. Well, you can't play the same player twice in this tourney, so you will get to play 5 different opponents. (That's actually something that I forgot to mention above)

Keith
  • I have contacted Don Carlito via a PM to see which site he wants to play at. Don Carlito is very lucky to have drawn me in the first round.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    I have contacted Don Carlito via a PM to see which site he wants to play at. Don Carlito is very lucky to have drawn me in the first round.

Regards,
    all_aces

Not as lucky as MickeyHoldem is to have drawn me.

I decided to play a "practice" game today since I haven't played in over a year. I sat as black at an unrated Yahoo table. I ended up playing someone with a rating in the 1550-1600 range (I would not want to guess how over-inflated yahoo ratings are) Anyway I got him down to a rook+pawn vs rook+pawn endgame which should have been drawn. Then I messed it up and lost. At least it was close.

Keith
  • Cool, I'll contact professor and try to set something up
  • MiamiKeith wrote:

When do you want your beating, Glenn?
  • WOW! 1hr time limit

I hope to cut this down with all_aces

I usually play 5 minute or 10 minute max! This is going to be different for sure...

Well good luck everyone...

P.S. please call me Carlos or Carlito

The Don is only used when I'm high on myself...lol