Erik123

For those who wondered or care:
Erik123, Erik Sagstrom, is a young dude from Sweden.
He learnt poker at a very young age and back in the days when you could play for real money at planetpoker and paradisepoker, he started getting very interested in the game.
This happened to be the same time i picked up the game, by the way the first 5 or so times i bought into paradise for 100 bucks i ended up losing the buyin each time, whether it was in an afternoon, or over a full month of gaming.
This was about 6 yrs ago now, as I was in residence, 1st year of university. Ya 5 years down the tubes at that hole already. (one more coming too, lol)
Anywyas, at the time Erik123 was logging about 60 hrs a week at 3-6 limit holdem tables. It didnt take me long to quit that place, i wasn't too good in those days. Erik's path was very different.
It couldnt have been more than a year later when i decided I needed to try out some real money games again, besides I had started killing the online freeroll tourneys that pokerpages had started offering.
When i went back to paradise to test the waters, i again found Erik123.
He was no longer playing the 3-6 games, but was now playing 20-40 almost any time i logged onto the software. I opted to play at some lower limits. Surprise!
Poker started taking off and new online sites started appearing about another year after that. At this time many players started noting the name Erik123, and his great play.
When ultimatebet started up for real money, he became a very well known limit holdem heads up master. They offered the biggest games online back at that time. He just cleaned the competition away.

I have a feeling these days he is hiding out somehow, under an assumed name, but he is surely playing plenty of online poker even today. He plays online at massive stakes under the names Erik123, KingofDing, TheSalmon, and i would assume others too.

I met him in Aruba this past October for the first time in person, great guy.

Although he tried to keep his profile unkown, he just became too good to hide his true identity. That being a little kid.
When i met him in October he had just turned 20 yrs old, he was not even old enough to play this years massive WSOP. Next year you can be sure you'll see the name Erik Sagstrom in some tournies over in the States as he is finally legal.

Just to help with some math, when i bought in to paradise at 19 yrs old, i thought i was a young punk. When he was playing 3-6, he was just 14 yrs old. By the time he was 16 yrs old, he was already known as one of the sharks sitting in the 20-40 games at paradise, which in those days were the biggest you could find on the net.

The past few years I've seen him play tons of top pros heads up on UB.
There were at least a few nights i saw him take 15-30K off Phil Hellmuth at 100-200 heads up.

Howard Lederer posted on RGP almost a year ago now, saying how Erik is by far the best, most experienced player for his age ever.

Comments

• Erik Sagstrom ...will remember that name 8)

how does one cashout from the poker sites at 14 y/o ?

:shock:
  • Wow, this kid seems amazing. Can't wait to hear about him.

Also, refering to CO question, POker sites won't ask for identification if you don't request a lot of money. I think Pacific will give you a max of $4-5k w/o ID, but a max of 20k with ID/month. He could also have signed up with a parents CC, you never know, but wow.

Do you have the RGP message that HL wrote, and how has he done in live tourneys (Aruba, etc?)
  • Wow, after reading tonnes of post about him on recpoker, this kid is amazing, and will be my idol lol!
  • I want to see this guy play live...
  • I read that interview with him at Elite-Poker.com and he sounds like a really decent guy. I still can't believe he is only 20! :shock:
  • Erik is currently in Barcelona playing the World Heads Up Poker Championship. He is a heads up master so let's hope he goes deep here.
    Unfortunately I haven't found a site that is updating this tournament too well yet, but of the 128 entries I saw that Erik123 won his first round match.

can anyone tell me how to post pictures in this text box??
    ive seen others do it and have yet to figure it out.
    Thanks
  • That's cool. I'll definitely watch for him in the future.
  • Too bad.
    Found the site to watch for updates on the WHUPC.
    Erik won both his 2nd and 3rd round matchups before gewtting into the round of 16 players.
    He then faced former world champ Carlos Mortensen and when Erik flopped top pair against Carlos' AA it was all for young Erik this year .