How long is this gonna take?

Okay...been playing just over a year now...about 150 NLHE MTT's with 3 FT's with a 2nd, 3rd, and 8th if I recall...lotsa SnG's with about break-even results (ok...will start to track more carefully) and occasional 6-max 2/4 limit with just wild swings. I've finally started to read some books (Harrington and Sklasky's ToP) also.

My question is when did things finally start to 'click' for you? I don't feel they have yet but I do get the odd insight...just want it more often. My feeling is that 1 year is not enough to achieve anything. All the activities I have done in my life tend to find their sweet spot after 3 years of consistent work. I appreciate your responses...thanks,

Bill

Comments

• I've been playing pretty regularly for 4 1/2 yrs, and am at the point where when I play bad I realize I played bad.

Early on, I would play bad and think I was playing good.

When it seems like the whole world is sucking out on you, then you are likely playing good (because you were ahead).

When you can have a winning session and be dissatisfied because you know you played bad,...and
    When you can have a losing session and be satisfied because you know you played good....

That's when you get it.
  • Im glad u asked that cuz i really feel like right now is my "click" i have ben playing for about a year and a half now. mainly limit ranges from1/2 to 3/6. At the start of my play i was cocky and thought i was really good but would always lose moeny and blame the other players "BAD" play. But tonight i have just played the best poker of my life. steals check raises pot odds it all fell together. I have folded more hands tonight then i ever have i and i have won 252 dollars in about 3 hrs of play at 2/4 limit on party. I realized the other day after plating with The_MAIN that i play way too many hands. He sat at my table and played only like maybe 6 hands out of 40. and left the table up like lets say 35 dollars. This made me realize how way to loose i really am. (not the slutty kind lol) so thanks MAIN. just feelin good and wanted to share,

thanks Juiceman
  • When you can have a winning session and be dissatisfied because you know you played bad,...and
    When you can have a losing session and be satisfied because you know you played good....

I think this sums up my poker game at this point. I am more satisfied with a session based on my play, rather than the exact monetary outcome. I am most impressed with my play when I get down, lose a buy in or two in a cash game for example, and can play solid poker to break even by the end of the night, or even possibly make some proft by nights end.

I fully agree with the notion that poker is "one continuous game", and when I first started all that mattered was if I won money by the end of the night (or morning). Now making solid laydowns (pocket queens preflop to a raise and re-raise ) are an indicator of how well I've played, which is the most important.

I don't believe there's an absolute answer when you should know you've figured out how to play poker, or it has "clicked" for you. There's no definite timeline IMO when a poker player should know whether they can play this game. Poker is a game of constant practice and improvement.
  • Poker is a strange game for me.  I've played seriously since 2000.  The more  I know and understand, I find the less I know.   Every stage I get to, I realize there  are so many more.  I think the key is to keep improving.

The other responses are all good markers along the way. 

Cheers
    Magi