Online NL BR

I have watched a couple of the $25/$100 max NL tables on party, and they seem to be pretty loose and profitable, but with some of the plays I can see a pretty high varianace as well. I'm just curious to see what others feel about this, and if anyone plays mostly NL rather than limit, I would like to hear your opinion too.

Having a bankroll of 300X BB for online limit games has been "well documented", but what about the NL games online?
Say you're playing $25 max NL, how much should you have in your BR to handle the swings, what about $100 max?

I remember magi posting somewhere awhile back that he is only comfortable with putting 2% of his BR at a table at once (correct me if I intrepreted yourpost incorrectly), so does that mean you won't sit at a $25 max NL unless your BR is at $1250? (this is more magi specific question, but open to others as well)

Found it! :D
magithighs wrote:
I would guess the money you have on the table represents a decent portion of your bankroll on the site. To play effectively, I find I need to have roughly 2% of my bankroll on the table at any one time. I know this sounds very conservative, but it makes these decisions much easier.

Comments

• I'm well over bankrolled for the limits I play. However, when starting out here is one strategy that I know has been successful. Start with 20 buy ins. So NL25 is $500 if you drop to 10 buy ins move down. Once you have 20 buy ins at the next level start again. If you lose move down. If you win move up.

Simple enough for the lower limits.
  • When this topic came up, I was busy with my (failed) attempt to become profitable at limit, and since I have switched back to NL. Also, at that time my bankroll was small enough that when I played pretty much everything was at risk. It wasn't until recently that I've had to start actually worrying about bankroll management.

I currently hover and routinely switch between 2 different limits. My buy-in for these games works out to between 3-5% of my bankroll (and Joe's recommendation works out to 5%). I agree with Lou's recommendation to be very conservative with your buy-in, mainly because of multi-tabling. I usually play 4 tables, so this actually means I'd have 12-20% at risk, so a little bit of tilt or bad cards can REALLY hurt. When playing my higher limit I'll usually play 2 high and 2 low, putting my total risk at 16% (3+3+5+5). 2% would keep the total risk under 10%, but with the additional potential I'm comfortable with increasing my exposure a little.

That said, I'm just trying to feel this thing out. I've seen lots of limit recommendations but not a lot for NL, so any additional replies would be appreciated.
  • westside8 wrote:
    I have watched a couple of the $25/$100 max NL tables on party, and they seem to be pretty loose and profitable, but with some of the plays I can see a pretty high varianace as well.  I'm just curious to see what others feel about this, and if anyone plays mostly NL rather than limit, I would like to hear your opinion too.

Having a bankroll of 300X BB for online limit games has been "well documented", but what about the NL games online?
    Say you're playing $25 max NL, how much should you have in your BR to handle the swings, what about $100 max?

I remember magi posting somewhere awhile back that he is only comfortable with putting 2% of his BR at a table at once (correct me if I intrepreted yourpost incorrectly), so does that mean you won't sit at a $25 max NL unless your BR is at $1250? (this is more magi specific question, but open to others as well)

Found it!  :D
    magithighs wrote:
    I would guess the money you have on the table represents a decent portion of your bankroll on the site.  To play effectively, I find I need to have roughly 2% of my bankroll on the table at any one time.  I know this sounds very conservative, but it makes these decisions much easier. 

It depends -- lol.  If you're looking at poker as your main source of income then the "norm" is more like 1,000 BB in limit poker as the appropriate bankroll for playing.  And, that doesn't include cash in reserve if things go bad.  That may seem a bit conservative and it is.  It does allow one to make the best decisions while playing.  I just got back from BCC today, and there were players who are way underbankrolled to play and they shudder every time they have a made hand and there are chasers.  Those are the best money making opportunities.  One doesn't want to shy away from them.

That said, yes I would go with 2% of my bankroll on one  table for NL.  If you want to make it your main source of income, I would look at having more in the bankroll -- likely double that.  However, if you're looking  at poker as a way of making money from a cool hobby, then I'd be comfortable with 5% of my bankroll on a table at one time.  I personally wouldn't multi-table if more than 10% of my bankroll was in play.  And, I've really cut back on my multi-tabling these days and my results have improved dramatically.  Hand reading and feel, are way easier with one or two tables. 

Cheers
    Magi
  • 30-50 max buy ins depending on your style of play
  • Ok wes. I know this was posted before your big promotion. By now you've read the whole board 6 times over and know everything so no more posts from ya...... :)
  • When I posted a few weeks ago my bankroll was too low to effectively protect it while playing.  Since then I've gotten it a bit higher to the point where I can actually start managing it.  Because of that I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and researching it, and have finally developed a more concrete plan for my own bankroll management.  As Wes mentioned there isn't a lot available about NL bankroll management, but what I did find suggested no more than 5% on the table (meaning 20 buy-ins in your BR). 

When considering multi-tabling, I think you need to double that (which brings it closer to the 30-50 number GTA mentions).  When you look at the numbers, this seems ridiculously high, but it helps with the horrible swings you can take at NL.  I'd read about running bad at limit and losing 200BB, but I recently had a stretch of bad rivers at NL that cost me 800 BB (8 buy-ins) over 2 days (2500 hands), so the "padding" is worth it.  Anyway, here's my fairly simple strategy:

- no more than 3% on any single table
    - no more than 10% on all tables when multi-tabling
    - never buy-in for less than 75% (approx) of the max.

As an example, I currently play 0.25/0.50 (max $50).  This means my minimum buy-in is $35, so I need at least $1166 for single-tabling, and $1400 for 4-tabling.  $2000 gives me max buy-in while 4-tabling, so ideally this is where I should be normally.  In order to move up limits (to 0.50/1.00, max $100), I need at least $3000 ($75 * 4 / 10% ).

Nothing earth-shattering, but it's simple and effective, and has protected me when running bad. Hopefully that helps somebody...
  • You want around 20 buy ins to comfortably play at a level. It is very important to play at a level where the money doesn't really mean anything to you. If you think about the money it is much harder to win.
  • I just got back from BCC today, and there were players who are way underbankrolled to play and they shudder every time they have a made hand and there are chasers.

Haha, I know what you mean. I remember a recent 5-10 trip at BCC where some guy at my table was talking about his buddy that wanted to play 10-20 but "didn't have the money to handle the swings". I'm thinking this could be moderately amusing since the "smart guy" only bought in for like $150-$200 bucks. Then he starts to talk about how he has $1000 set aside as his bankroll for $5-10...it was all I could do not to laugh... Incidently I probably dropped close to $400 that session (40% of that guys "Bankroll"), to which I basically shrugged, and took the attitude "That's poker".
  • I'm with GTA. 25 to 50 max buy-in's.
  • tht seems a lot to me, would require a 500 dollar bankroll to play .2/.5 on stars... ($10 max buy-in for it)

what do you guys say about sng's? provided I was only playing them, how many buy-in's would you recommend that I have in my bankroll? (this wont necessarily change anything for now, but mainly if and when i make the decision to move up from these 5+.5 sngs)
  • I play 20's and have over 2K in bankroll. Believe me you will run far worse than you ever thought possible. I've monied 10 times in a row with 9 wins, then gone to finish out of the money the next 20. Make sure you have far more money than you'll ever think you'll need.
  • I suppose there's always the whole "i can put more in if I hit a huge streak of bad luck" factor. but thanks for the insight.. I think I'm going to aim for having 20 buyins, and then dropping down if I run down to 10 (which would be 20 at the lower level) etc;

does that seem stupid to anyone?
  • From another forum this is what they had to say. I think it's aggressive but I'm a pussy about putting more money in to my bankroll. I've already taken out several thousand to pay for things like kids computer, christmas etc.

Level Minimum Bankroll
    $5+1 $170
    $10+1 $220
    $20+2 $500
    $30+3 $800
    $50+5 $1100
    $100+9 $2200

Notice that the $5 level SNGs have a requirement of