Computer People...Please Read

ok, i've had this little "glitch" on my computer for awhile now, and i can't figure out what's causing it. maybe someone here can help.

every once in awhile, when a site loads, the sizing is all off.
everything is much bigger...the font size, and the size of the graphics...even the layouts are bigger. if i refresh the page, it usually fixes itself. although, i've noticed on my wife's side (using xp pro) her sites are smaller than mine are. so when i say it fixes itself, i guess i mean to my nowmal surfing size...altho that's still bigger than i want it compared to hers.

anyway, it's annoying, and if anyone is still reading...help.
thanks

Comments

• Problem #1: Windows sucks.

Problem #2: You can change your default text size. In the version of IE that I have running, under the "View" Menu, go to "Text Size" and change it. The options are smallest, smaller, medium, larger, and largest.

Keith
  • MiamiKeith wrote:
    Problem #1: Windows sucks.

Problem #2: You can change your default text size. In the version of IE that I have running, under the "View" Menu, go to "Text Size" and change it. The options are smallest, smaller, medium, larger, and largest.

Keith

What else are you going to use? UNIX? :shock:
  • MiamiKeith wrote:

Keith

If it wasn't for online poker I would have switched to using Linux exclusively years ago.

Keith
  • Dan808

how many windows do ya have opened on average? :shock:
  • most often 1...sometimes 2
    i'm sure it's some viral infection, or annoyance as they say...but i can't figure out how to get it to stop...but i guess if that's the worst it does
  • while we're on the topic of computers...post your specs here. I just picked up this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=698409&Sku=S450-4111%20S&CatId=335

should be at my door by Monday (I'm hoping)
  • Dan808 wrote:
    most often 1...sometimes 2
    i'm sure it's some viral infection, or annoyance as they say...but i can't figure out how to get it to stop...but i guess if that's the worst it does

viral infection? :?: :shock: :?:

have ya ran NAV or AVG?
  • Hey,

I hope this will help. I you haven't already isntalled Ad-Aware do so now. Same goes for a little program called search and destroy. These are both free programs that will help clean out nasty little web problems and such on your computer.

Then if you haven't already done so (and assuming your computer has to Umph' to handle all these new programs) install a firewall. There are many freely available firewalls out there.

It's hard to say what is causing your problem without more details. I used to work in the 'puter industry but got out of it. Needed a change of atmosphere.

Hope it helps
    R3d.
  • I hope this will help. I you haven't already isntalled Ad-Aware do so now.

Yeah, ad-aware is awesome. The website is www.lavasoft.de in case anyone is having trouble finding it.

What this program does is, it scans your computer and removes and spyware which has been installed. Spyware can range from anything as harmless as tracking cookies (used to deliver targeted advertising banners) to some of the more serious stuff that is installed by programs like Kazaa (some of which can severely slow down your machine).

Keith
  • Damn, didn't even read the whole thread before replying. lmao Everything below this was my original post. lol

Try going to Start>Control Panel>Display and click on the "settings" tab. Make sure your screen resolution is set to the same res as your wifes logon settings are. You'll obviously have to check both, so go into the same place logged in as her first, and note the settings. Then logoff and relogon under your own ID and check the same settings. Adjust as necessary.

Failing that it has to be a preferences or font setting that conflicts somehow.

Viruses generally won't cause font troubles. More often than not they will affect the system clock though. If you are losing time on the PC clock, and it's always left powered up, then run a good AV program. If it loses time and isn't powered up all the time, check the cmos battery first. Then run AV program if needed.
    (viruses won't discriminate between user ID's either) In other words, if it happens under one logon ID, but not another, that pretty well rules out a virus. They usually find there way onto the boot sector on the hard drive, and they would affect all users equally. Unless someone was targetting you specifically? But that's too paranoid to visualize. lol

Also maybe wouldn't hurt to run some antispyware stuff to clean up the junk on your drive(s). (Cookies, spyware, etc.) You can download both Spybot(search and destroy) and Ad-Aware for free. I use both, about once every other month or so. Do a search on Yahoo or Google and you should easily find them both. Just be careful which files you delete. Just because it flags them doesn't mean they are all bad. A file by file decision is needed, to do it properly.

Also best for anonymity to surf with cookies disabled, and javascript turned off, in your web browser. If you're really paranoid, like me lol, then also run a monitoring software. (software firewall) I use the registered version of Zone Alarm Pro. Love it. Highly configurable. Also run a good quality gateway router too. (hardware firewall)
    (I got a very good used Netgear wired combination switch/router on ebay for $29) Almost mandatory to have one for safe surfing these days. If you're still worried after adding all this stuff, we can do another thread about anonymous proxy servers. Then you would be approaching true invisibility. lol
  • Thanks a tonne everyone, I just downloaded ad-aware and my computer is amazingly faster! I had almost 400 "trackers" on my comp. thanks again.

stp
  • stpboy wrote:
    Thanks a tonne everyone, I just downloaded ad-aware and my computer is amazingly faster! I had almost 400 "trackers" on my comp. thanks again.

stp

400 :o HOLY COW MAN! :o :shock:
  • MiamiKeith wrote:
    MiamiKeith wrote:

Keith

If it wasn't for online poker I would have switched to using Linux exclusively years ago.

Keith

I can't remember which, but there is a poker site that uses a java based client instead of a windows app. You could use that.

Or you could use windows in a virtual machine on your *nix desktop. *shrug* there are options.
  • stpboy wrote:
    Thanks a tonne everyone, I just downloaded ad-aware and my computer is amazingly faster! I had almost 400 "trackers" on my comp. thanks again.

stp

Yeah, that's about par for the course. Most people are truly amazed at the amount of crap that is there the first time they run it.

Run ad-aware every week or two and you should be fine, at least for the spyware stuff.

Keith
  • djw wrote:
    I can't remember which, but there is a poker site that uses a java based client instead of a windows app. You could use that.

Or you could use windows in a virtual machine on your *nix desktop. *shrug* there are options.

I know. I don't really want to do the virtual machine thing (my computer is barely fast enough to run one OS, let alone two) and the java thing is nice, but I want to be free to play at different sites and move my money around from site to site.

I used to have two computers (newer one ran windows, and the older one ran linux) but the linux computer finally kicked the bucket (motherboard problems). Eventually I will probably get ahold of another one... I am a firm believer that everyone needs at least 2 computers. ;-)

Keith
  • I also use a program called "EasyCleaner" to clean up my computer. It removes unnecessary things such as reg entires, duplicate files, dead shortcuts etc... I got it from tucows. It simplifies doing all that "jazz" manually.