Playing smaller sites with rakeback vs playing in the fishtank (Party)

It appears that rakeback is a thing of the past on Party.

Anyone have opinions on whether it's more profitable to play on Party with no rakeback vs a 30% rakeback on smaller sites?

Comments

• I think AcidJoe can help you out with this one (along with others of course)

I have played a few times with rakeback at 30%, I still prefer to go play at Party due to the table selection and the profits are pretty good.
    With that said, I haven't played enough at the small sites with rakeback to really say rather or not rakeback will be more profitable in the long run or not.
  • I've been noodling on the exact same question for the past few weeks.

My (short-run) intuition is that the players are SO bad on Party that it makes up for ~25%-30% rakeback available on most sites.

On the other hand, the exact rakeback details matter. IMO, it depends on (among other things):

1. Exactly how much your rakeback is, and how it works.

2. The skill level of the players on the site you're considering "rakebacking" on.

3. If you can stack regular deposit bonuses on top of a rakeback.

4. Is the rakeback site well-established and reputable enough that you are comfortable playing there? In many cases, it's high risk, high return--- that is, the newest sites are often willing to pay the higher rakeback rates.

ScottyZ
  • Well, I've been playing some 6max 5 10 and 10 20 on Sunpoker lately (crypto), and I think that you're right Scotty, the overall skill level at Party likely supercedes any rakeback deal.

Likely this is less of a factor at 1 2 through 3 6, but I think as you creep upwards of those limits the skill level rises quite a bit on the smaller sites in comparison to Party.

I guess it's back to Party for me.
  • When I was playing a lot of 5/10 6max and reading the shorthanded forum on 2+2 regularly the general concensus there around the time of the split was that Party is still the way to go and it's not that close.
  • This is why I keep hoping Party somehow gets it's act together with regard to their VIP program. Simply put the games at Party Poker are different then the games anywhere else by a lot, at least in limit holdem.

Any Pokerstars table at 2/4 or 3/6 has a VPIP of maybe 20-25. With party I never play at a table that is below 30 in this figure (though it does make for some annoying bad beats). I have sat at tables on Party where the VPIP is nearly 50% for a full ring game. The lower rake and better VIP program at Stars compensate a bit, but it's still a different game.

The cryptos (ie Sun, Interpoker) are not too bad if you play the short handed tables, particularly the pound tables, but you are paying effectively nearly twice the rake to do so since they cap it at 3 pounds. If you are going to do rakeback/bonus there then Interpoker is probably the best bet. I usually clear the month's bonus on one of their promotion days (ie: $10 for each KK dealt to you or $30 for 400 raked hands) and they do clear concurrent to each other.

If you play a game like pot limit omaha then a rakeback plan is probably better then party, but my only experience in that game is at the $25 and $50 buy in and I have not really seen much of a skill difference (probably because I am hardly a world class player in it yet :P).
  • SirWatts wrote:
    When I was playing a lot of 5/10 6max and reading the shorthanded forum on 2+2 regularly the general concensus there around the time of the split was that Party is still the way to go and it's not even close.

FYP
  • well, because of this site I was exposed to supreme and i couldn't be happier with it (rakeback) there. The thing i love about it, for one thing, the short handed tables only seat 5 which i think is awesome...so when you're playing 2 tables the action is coming at just a perfect pace...of course, playing 2 tables the rakeback really adds up too. Now, I only really manage to squeeze in a few hours a week to play, but still, I'm getting some decent size RB deposits every week to my account.

Oh yeah...and the players stink really bad...with the exception fo when there are other Canadians on the table...then I always assume they are from here and therefore deserve a little respect. :)
  • But what limits are you playing? I've never tried Supreme, but I have to assume that the traffic is low at 5 10 or 10 20 6max tables, maybe I'm wrong...let me know if I am and I'll try it out. I don't think that there is a huge discrepancy in play at limits through to 3 6 6max on many sites online. It seems that 5 10 is where players have improved on smaller sites and are still atrocious on Party. I'm thinking or trying out Eurobet on the Pokerroom network.

Maybe I'm just greedy wanting bad players and a good rakeback, but 3 tabling 3 6 or higher for a decent amount of hours a month can usually bring you in $600-$800 in rakeback. I'm still up in the air on this one as I'm very new to multitabling, but I can calculate what I'll be missing out on now that the Party skins have been dropped.
  • I haven't gone back to party since they split. I've kept my rakeback account on eurobet and am playing their but am playing a lot of sng's since the bonus clearing can be done that way and they take any bonus's off your MGR before paying back the rakeback. I'm not sure what will happen now that the bonus is clear. I'm hoping in a month or so they won't subtract it off my mgr but maybe. I may wade back into the fish tank strictly because it was always easy money. :fish:
  • GTA Poker wrote:
    But what limits are you playing?   I've never tried Supreme, but I have to assume that the traffic is low at 5 10 or 10 20 6max tables, maybe I'm wrong...let me know if I am and I'll try it out.  I don't think that there is a huge discrepancy in play at limits through to 3 6 6max on many sites online.  It seems that 5 10 is where players have improved on smaller sites and are still atrocious on Party.  I'm thinking or trying out Eurobet on the Pokerroom network. 

Maybe I'm just greedy wanting bad players and a good rakeback, but 3 tabling 3 6 or higher for a decent amount of hours a month can usually bring you in $600-$800 in rakeback.  I'm still up in the air on this one as I'm very new to multitabling, but I can calculate what I'll be missing out on now that the Party skins have been dropped.

I usually will play two 1-2 NL 5 seater tables at supreme, and in doing that I am very happy with my rakeback. As I type this, there are a few 2/4, 3/6 and 5/10 limit tables (5 seaters) and a few NL tables of the same levels as well. You're right about the $$ in rakeback..I usually average $140-200/week in rakeback which works out to a mortgage payment over a months time. Now that I'm getting the mighty .05/post here to play w/ on supreme on top of it all, it just makes it all the more sweeter :)