SNG bubble time

Blinds are 100/200 and you've got 1K and are 4th. You get 22 on the button. I figure this is an easy push, which I do. I get called by 44. Is any pair worth pushing? I think the call was bad (I won when I hit the duck on the river).

What hands to you push here? And what is your calling range for all ins?

This was $11's at poker room.

Comments

• He's gotta call 800 into a pot of 1300. In his shoes, I would expect at best to be in a race. So he's either a small favourite or a big dog in most cases. At about 1.5 to 1 on his money, the call is a bit iffy but...

I guess it depends if he puts you on a total steal, maybe he senses your desperation, maybe he's on tilt, maybe he's big stack and isn't worried about 800 chips, maybe he's short stack and thinks this is the best hand he'll see in a while and you are a maniac. Lots of variables you haven't mentioned. It's all read dependent but I'd be much more comfortable calling with 88+, a strong Ace or a big King but...

If he put you on a big range of hands: 22+,A6s+,K9s+,A9o+,KJo+ he is only a 1.25 to 1 dog so he has odds to make the call with 44.

If he put you on a slightly tighter range of hands: 55+,A9s+,KJs+,AJo+,KQo he is a 1.7 to 1 dog and he does not have the odds to call with 44.

So it is a close call. Again, with the big stack, I probably call. With a smaller stack I would also call. Average stack would have a tough decision depending on their read of you.

As for pushing, it depends on how tight the blinds are. If they'll call with just about any two, you know at best you are in a race so 22 is a bit dicey. If they seem likely to call with only the strongest hands, I'd push with a very wide range while you still have a lot of fold equity. Probably any pair, any Ace, any King, maybe suited connectors down to T9s, JTo, any 2 face cards, etc. If they are a bit more liberal in their defense, I'd want something like 55+, JTs+, KJo+.
  • When the blinds get big these hands just play themselves, yes your push is right and it's not even close, and he is getting plenty of odds to call.
  • pkrfce:  The big stack wasn't in the blinds and the guy who called had about1,800 chips.  Which would have left him with 800 left after his call.  As the big stack had about 8,000 I was avoiding moving in on him (he would probably call my all in with any 2 cards in the blinds). 

Sir Watts: I normally find everyone tightening up on the bubble. I know my range of calling all ins narrows at the bubble, while I will still push with the same hands. I don't think odds really plays when it leaves you with 4x the BB if you lose, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice guys.
  • Well, I don't like his call then. Even if he put you on any two cards, he can't expect to be more than a slight favourite. Not the greatest situation to play for more than half your stack.
  • Meh, you'll show him A2, A3, A4,22 or 33 (or maybe even K2s-K4s) about as often you show him a bigger pair, and he's usually a small avourite against your overcards so he has to be very close to 50:50 against your range. I'd rather make a stand now getting good odds or you're going to steal his blind every single lap while he waits for something else marginal to call with.