Am I right to call this down??....

1/2 limit game, on Party, I opened this account ages ago and used my first name instead of a handle. Yes my name is Courtney, yes I am a dude, and yes that was embarrasing for me as a young man.

#Game No : 3313975933
***** Hand History for Game 3313975933 *****
$1/$2 Texas Hold'em - Wednesday, January 04, 13:29:10 EDT 2006
Table Beginners #1066228 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 2: BUSSIBAERLE ( $66.50 )
Seat 3: blacksaven ( $78.25 )
Seat 4: zocci ( $60.50 )
Seat 7: muzza2005 ( $7 )
Seat 9: tigerluv111 ( $27.37 )
Seat 10: Keldog35 ( $92.75 )
Seat 6: courtney ( $50.39 )
Seat 8: gazza23369 ( $65.50 )
Seat 1: sexdating_te ( $83.13 )
zocci posts small blind [$0.50].
courtney posts big blind [$1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to courtney [ Kd Kc ]
muzza2005 raises [$2].
gazza23369 folds.
tigerluv111 calls [$2].
Keldog35 folds.
sexdating_te calls [$2].
footloser has joined the table.
BUSSIBAERLE did not respond in time.
BUSSIBAERLE folds.
blacksaven calls [$2].
zocci folds.
courtney raises [$2].
muzza2005 raises [$2].
tigerluv111 calls [$2].
sexdating_te calls [$2].
blacksaven calls [$2].
courtney calls [$1].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, 8h, 7d ]
courtney bets [$1].
muzza2005 raises [$2].
CANADIAN POKER CHAMPIONSHIPS - $2,000,000 prize pool - Bahamas in February. Play the CPC SATELLITE in 8 hour(s) 24 minute(s) to win a fantastic trip!
tigerluv111 raises [$3].
sexdating_te folds.
blacksaven folds.
courtney raises [$3].
muzza2005 is all-In [$1]
tigerluv111 calls [$1].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Jd ]
courtney checks.
tigerluv111 bets [$2].
courtney calls [$2].
** Dealing River ** [ 8d ]
courtney checks.
tigerluv111 checks.
courtney shows [ Kd, Kc ] two pairs, kings and eights.
muzza2005 shows [ 6s, 5h ] a straight, five to nine.
tigerluv111 shows [ Tc, 6c ] a straight, seven to jack.
tigerluv111 wins $6 from side pot #1 with a straight, seven to jack.
tigerluv111 wins $28.50 from the main pot with a straight, seven to jack.
Game #3313981772 starts.

So where should I have folded here. I bet the flop knowing the original raiser on my left would raise, thinking this would help to protect my hand. I can't have put either of these guys on 56, and 610c can I? I really don't expect anyone to raise from under the gun and then cap after the BB re raises them. Once the Jack hits, I feel I am beat for sure, since any ten makes a straight, and I know that all kinds of party players will call two cold with A10, K10, I also know someone could have KQ and have picked up a draw now. So by just calling on the turn and checking the river am I playing this right, eg, is the pot big enough to justify a call, or do I simply concede, and move on.

Cheers

Comments

• Once you cap the flop (which I would do too) the pot is huge. There's no folding here.

Muzza could have been pushing the pot to get all his money in. A lot of players will do that when they're near the felt. In any case, he has no money left past the flop so you don't have to worry about him...

Don't be too quick to think you're beat when the Jack hits. Yes, any ten beats you, but don't automatically give your opponents credit for holding it. It's unlikely that your opponent will fold to a raise, given pot size. He'd be correct to call with any reasonable draw, and certainly with any hand that beats yours. I like the call.

Thank your opponent for the free showdown (and put him on your buddy list) I'd call a bet on the river too (Pot is 18BB!)
  • That is just brutal. The name, I mean.

Ya, call it down.
  • Most micro tables are pretty passive as a general rule, I'd say your hand is dead on the flop. Perhaps reraising preflop with the second best starting hand in poker would help you define your hands on later streets.
  • I'm not sure I understand, I did re raise preflop
  • Oh, sorry my bad I misread, but I stick to my flop analysis if this is a typically passive table
  • I think the flop cap is spewage since you are OOP for the hand and had a guy who only called preflop cold 3-bet.. you aren't buying much with that SB investment.

I thnk the pot is big enough for a call on the turn due the combined chances you are actually ahead of the field + your odds to improve against two pair + your chances to make the set. It's pretty thin though. If you had to call two on that turn I'd WANT to fold (but would still likely call).

On the river, I dont know. That jack was like the worst card ever on the turn but the 8 paired the board, completed a backdoor flush AND theres a 4 card straight on the board. Is your hand good the 3% of the time to win? Man, I think even calling a bet here is really close. You are behind to an 8, T, two diamonds and any sets.

I do love the fact that Tiger thinks you completed the backdoor flush draw. Thats called putting your opponent on a range of hands and then picking the exact two cards from that range that beat you.
    Perhaps reraising preflop with the second best starting hand in poker would help you define your hands on later streets.

I wish they'd get rid of the cap at party too. Hero raised as much as he could. UTG raises, Hero 3 bets and UTG caps.
    Most micro tables are pretty passive as a general rule, I'd say your hand is dead on the flop

1/2 party is far from the passive fish fest of a .25/.50 or .50/1 game. You seem to be implying folding, but can you not imagine UTG holding QQ-?