Super Crazy Fun Insane Rebuys Madness in Guelph 01/21/2006

In light of a new West Side season approaching, The Bounty league behind us, and the Ryder (royal) Cup just around the corner, I thought that we should have some fun. This tournament is not intended to showcase your "Mad Skillz", indeed not to prove who is the best of the best. Instead the purpose is to have some fun with a game that some o us have been taking perhaps a little too seriously. Keep that in mind and we should have a blast.

So, for the details.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 Staring at 6 pm

1,000 chips to start, $2 buy-in
1,000 chips for $2 rebuys. Rebuys unlimited until the end of the fourth level. Players must have 1,000 chips or less to rebuy.
3,000 chips for $5 add-on, available to all players at the first break.

Blind Structure:

Level        Small Blind / Big Blind       End time of level
  1                    100/200                 6:15
  2                    200/400                 6:30
  3                    300/600                 6:45
  4                    400/800                 7:00
*10 minute break, rebuys are finished and add-on is available*
  5                    500/1000               7:30
  6                    600/1200               7:50
  7                    700/1400               8:10
  *10 minute break*
  8                    800/1600               8:40
  9                   1000/2000              9:00
  10                 1200/2400              9:20
   *10 minute break*
  11                  1500/3000             9:50         **estimated end of tournament**
  12                  2000/4000            10:10
  13                  2500/5000             Blinds are frozen at this level and will not get any higher.

Payouts:
6 - 10 players: 1rst 70%
                    2nd  30%

11-18 players: 1rst 50%
                     2nd 25%
                     3rd 15%
                     4th 10%

19-27 players: 1rst 45%
                     2nd 25%
                     3rd 15%
                     4th 10%
                     5th 5%

all money will be paid out, no rake will be taken. My house is non-smoking, and if you want to drink, please feel free to BYOB.

disclaimer: details subject to change, and my normal house rules apply.

Comments

• Just thought I would add, if anyone has some suggestions to make this more fun, feel free to throw them out there.

P.S. My wife would not approve of belly dancers on each table.
  • bump?

This weekend if anyone is interested. I have a few people that are intersted from work and friends, but I will tell them to forget it if there is no interest from here. I figure that the only way this would work and be profitable for the winner is with a lot of people playing.
  • This tournament would be a blast but your having it the same day as Benie42's big tourny. That might be the reason for the lack of intrest.
  • Yep, a lot of us are already playing at Beanies Sat afternoon... and planning on being there long after 6.... Why not make it the following Saturday?
  • By the way you may want to reconsider freezing the blinds and instead do it at tourney directors discretion... That way you can adjust depending on numbers of players and numbers of rebuys... If you had 200,000 chips in play at the heads up level, and you easily could with some of the guys from this forum playing.... (Hi Braad), it could go all night...
  • OK, thanks for the ideas, the 21st it is.

And I will be working on the blind structure, but I have to get ready for work right now.
  • Does this payout system seem right to eveyone?

I'll have to look at the 'Stars payout table when I get home.
  • 1,000 chips to start, $2 buy-in
    1,000 chips for $2 rebuys. Rebuys unlimited until the end of the fourth level. Players must have 1,000 chips or less to rebuy.
    3,000 chips for $5 add-on, available to all players at the first break.

Blind Structure:

Level        Small Blind / Big Blind       End time of level
      1                    100/200                  6:15
      2                    200/400                 6:30
      3                    300/600                 6:45
      4                    400/800                 7:00
    Am I reading that right?  Well I suppose starting a tourney with 5 BBs might just be "Super Crazy Fun Insane Rebuys Madness".  But from my experience you don't need fast blinds in an unlimited rebuy tourney... the simple fact that there are unlimited rebuys induces the crazy play.  Good luck with the tourney.

/g2
  • Yes, it is super insane crazy fast right at the beginning, but you can re-buy immediately, and I did it so that I would have enough chips to go around. If I started at my usual 25/50 then I would need an extra chip colour and I think I might run out.

Anyone got 1,000 dice chips they could bring?
  • [disguised bump]Hmmm, I am a little surprised there isn't more interest in this. I suppose there is a little over a week to go, but I thought that I would at least have a few people interested by now.[/disguised bump]
  • I'm afraid that the structure just won't work... 200 blind with only 1000 chips really is a no go... Also rebuys will be virtually useless after 15 min... 600 in blinds and only a 1000 chip rebuy??? If you are going to use that blind structure you need to start with at least 10000 in chips, ie 50 times the big blind to get decent playability... Zithal, the acknowledged tournament structure guru, could probably add much more insight than I could..
  • OK, I'll try getting a hold of him. The thing was that you either spend $20- $30 up front to play, or you have some fun and rebuy 10-15 times and spend the same. If you start with 10K then only rebuy twice, $2 seems like a really low buy in. Maybe I could decrease the blinds and start at 25/25. That would give 40 X BB to start. If the blinds doulbe every 15 minutes for the first 4 levels and then ater rebuys we go to 20 minute levels and slow the structure down a little, and maybe offer add-ons for 5K in chips/$5 with the option to take 2 add-ons?

What do you think about that?
  • Check out some of the recent/successful low rebuy tournies:
    http://pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=5749.0
    http://pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6964.0
    http://pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=7207.0

The most aggressive was Zithal's which started you with only 40 BB (and there were other "special" obstacles), so 5BB isn't workable IMO.

If the blinds doulbe every 15 minutes for the first 4 levels and then ater rebuys we go to 20 minute levels and slow the structure down a little, and maybe offer add-ons for 5K in chips/$5 with the option to take 2 add-ons?
    The longer your rebuy period, the more money in the pot, which is about the only reason (IMO) for a rebuy tourney. Is there a specific reason you're making the rebuy level length shorter? If not, I'd say keep it at 20 min like the rest of the tourney. That extra 20 minutes (for the 4 levels) should be good for at least a rebuy or two per table.