How badly did I screw this up?

PokerStars Game #3516631194: Tournament #17356475, Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2006/01/02 - 22:45:41 (ET)
Table '17356475 200' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: volleypunk69 (13970 in chips)
Seat 2: EvOL EnEmY (27820 in chips)
Seat 3: saultstemari (35506 in chips)
Seat 4: hN_Fræ$hit (42915 in chips)
Seat 5: agatt2003 (21385 in chips)
Seat 6: zazzing (14409 in chips)
Seat 7: Jake318 (8550 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: JFJB (42460 in chips)
Seat 9: SocietyRed (41150 in chips)
volleypunk69: posts the ante 50
EvOL EnEmY: posts the ante 50
saultstemari: posts the ante 50
hN_Fræ$hit: posts the ante 50
agatt2003: posts the ante 50
zazzing: posts the ante 50
Jake318: posts the ante 50
JFJB: posts the ante 50
SocietyRed: posts the ante 50
EvOL EnEmY: posts small blind 400
saultstemari: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SocietyRed [Ah Qc]
hN_Fræ$hit: folds
agatt2003: folds
zazzing: folds
Jake318: folds
JFJB: folds
SocietyRed: raises 1600 to 2400
volleypunk69: folds
EvOL EnEmY: folds
saultstemari: calls 1600
*** FLOP *** [Qh Ts 5d]
saultstemari: checks
SocietyRed: bets 2400
saultstemari: calls 2400
*** TURN *** [Qh Ts 5d] [3s]
saultstemari: checks
SocietyRed: bets 2400
saultstemari: raises 2400 to 4800
SocietyRed: calls 2400
*** RIVER *** [Qh Ts 5d 3s] [7d]
saultstemari: bets 8000
SocietyRed: calls 8000
*** SHOW DOWN ***
saultstemari: shows [5s 5c] (three of a kind, Fives)
SocietyRed: mucks hand
saultstemari collected 36050 from pot
Jake318 has returned
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 36050 | Rake 0
Board [Qh Ts 5d 3s 7d]
Seat 1: volleypunk69 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: EvOL EnEmY (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: saultstemari (big blind) showed [5s 5c] and won (36050) with three of a kind, Fives
Seat 4: hN_Fræ$hit folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: agatt2003 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: zazzing folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Jake318 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: JFJB folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: SocietyRed mucked [Ah Qc]

Comments

• I am kind of surprised you still had chips after that flop, so the fact you were still alive with a decent stack after a flop that should kill you would indicate you did not really screw up too badly :P.

I just got knocked out of that tournament myself in 68th. Had to admit the $3 rebuy was kind of relaxing and fun, I won a 5 way all in during the rebuy period, my 88 vs AK, AQ, AJ and 3 6. Prizes for the top table were pretty decent as well, but alas my hands completely dried for the last 30 hands.
  • I got knocked out in 345th I think. 77 vs KJ and he flopped a J and I was out. This was 4th time in the money in one of these. Just cant seem get on a run late to make the final table.
  • We've already discussed this in person but I thought I'd share some of my thoughts here too:

I think you did fine.  You had TPTK.  As earlier mentioned, you didn't lose your stack entirely with this hand which is great.

I told you that the river call was a bit quesitonable and I am going to partly take that back...  Like you said, no straight or flush possibilites on the board.  As you also said, the pot size at the time of the river card coming down was big enough to make the 8000 chip call almost a given.  You said you thought the other player was chasing a straight draw and missed.  It was definately possible that is what they could have been doing.

On the other side of the sword, you raised preflop - villian calls.  You bet on flop, villian cold calls.  You bet on turn and villian RAISES.  Villian then BETS the river...  Could he/she have been waiting to see if YOU caught your straight and now that it is not possible is betting out on an overpair, top two, or trips?

Just something to think about....
  • I think it's possible to fold on the river here, this line is a set pretty often in my experience. You need a read on the player as fairly straightforward but when an ABC player takes this line he can almost always beat TPTK. Against a tricky player I think that's the case pretty often as well but it might be a bluff often enough to call.
  • Like you said, no straight or flush possibilites on the board.

This should set off the alarm bells. Villian isn't raising any kind of draw and min raises on the turn usually denote a lot of strength.

I said it once and 'll say it again, you have to post reads on your villians or talking about NL hands is pointless. Even if you read is 'Villian just got moved to the table", we need to be able to accurately re-create your mindset to offer any real advice.
  • I didnt have any read on this guy as I just got moved there a few hands before. The turn raise should of set of some alarms. I think I made an error calling the river but I convinced myself he missed his str8 draw and was trying to scare me off.