River TPTK villian pushes

55 NL on Party, villian just moved here.

Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 2: SirWatts ( $955 )
Seat 3: lovekayloo ( $925 )
Seat 5: littlehog515 ( $855 )
Seat 6: hotmark777 ( $2115 )
Seat 7: berg8 ( $280 )
Seat 8: mashyou ( $3570 )
Seat 10: Manzi85 ( $2195 )
Seat 9: ariplacrates ( $605 )
Blinds (10/20)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to SirWatts [ Ad Kh ]
mashyou calls [20].
ariplacrates folds.
Manzi85 folds.
SirWatts raises [80].
lovekayloo folds.
littlehog515 folds.
hotmark777 folds.
berg8 calls [60].
mashyou calls [60].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8h, 7c, 2c ]
berg8 checks.
mashyou checks.
SirWatts bets [200].
berg8 folds.
mashyou calls [200] after some thought.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5d ]
mashyou checks.
SirWatts checks.
** Dealing River ** [ Kd ]
mashyou bets [700].
SirWatts ??

Comments

• Depends, how did villian get the massive chip stack?

Checking the turn with a straight seems like a pretty str foward play, or rope a doping you with a set hoping you have the king

A pot bet would seem pretty much in order with AK or high pair from on the flop (this is 10/20 level, he doesnt know you, just the standard play), so he has you on AK, or TT - AA.

His call just says he's looking, to out play you or catch. Note he has some chips to take chances.

I think you lay it down and try and find out if he had it at this level, show, ask etc.... "great bluff, mr chipstack" would work kinda well here.

You'll need that info later.

The best you can hope for is a total bluff, he's put you on AQ, or High Pair lower then K's. Maybe he has KQ, and you hold out.
    Or he has AK, and you split.

Also he could have 87, 95suited or a set( very realistic he called without position)

With no other infor I think you have to lay it down.
    I have been pushing here and losing, so I am going to say do the opposite, Thanks George from Sienfeld
  • For me it depends how much I love money on that particular day, I know it's not great reasoning. It looks very much to me like a busted flush draw, perhaps he wants it to look like that though. I cannot see two pair here at all, or a straight. You are only beaten by a set. More often then not, I would call. If he has a set he has one, blah blah blah monsters under the bed...I'm not looking for em'.

My guess here, you folded.

stp
  • I call here.

Villian may have two pair, hence the call on the flop (K 8??) maybe a set of eights, however, I would think a smaller bet with the set would be more likely to induce a call or raise. The big bet screams don't call me.
  • What if he think there's a decent chance I have something like AK and will call a push? I'm not convinced the big bet means weakness here.
  • Well, for him to be sure that you are on AK and also be sure that you will call $700 on the river well then he deserves your money. He can also have some of mine for what it's worth. The bet on the river also tells me, doesn't scream, just tells me that he wants to buy it. He doesn't necessarily want to be paid off with it. $400 bet, that would scare me more. The more I think about this hand the more I think about calling with it, knee jerk though would be to call.

I'm interested to see what dave thinks. I'm getting used to seeing more Donk plays on the internet then superior thought plays. This would be a completely read dependent call for me in a live game.

stp
  • SirWatts wrote:
    What if he think there's a decent chance I have something like AK and will call a push? I'm not convinced the big bet means weakness here.

That's what I am thinking here. If he has shown solid play to get that chip stack, then you fold. If he has been getting lucky and hitting you call.

But it is very read dependent. Is he a goofball or a player?
  • Soooo, what happened?

stp
  • I folded this one thinking he probably flopped a set, but who knows maybe he was on a really bad bluff.