Ballless Limit player play a NL Hand

Ok, bonus whoring on Empire Poker, which is ridiculously tight. So, to rake hands (aka play poker) I play the 25NL tables. They are just as tight, minimum raises cause tables to fold etc. Then this hand.

Is it simply a matter of having NL stones? Call the all-in and rebuy?

My raise to $3.00 was to try to take the hand there and scare off a flush draw, when he came over the top as tight as the table was/is, I was sure I was behind a set.

Do you call? Is it automatic?

**** Hand History for Game 2901894673 *****
0/0 Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) - Sun Jan 01 11:21:14 EST 2006
Table Table 36569 (Real Money) -- Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: MoHokie ( $6.05)
Seat 2: ajscottsr ( $7.65)
Seat 3: tdpalermo ( $12.95)
Seat 4: REDDRAGGON1 ( $25)
Seat 5: magnumpi308 ( $26.40)
Seat 6: garpox ( $39.05)
Seat 7: pling111 ( $6)
Seat 8: Embers123 ( $29.90)
Seat 9: BPlayer71 ( $2.67)
Seat 10: AceTheSnake ( $21.99)
MoHokie posts small blind (0.10)
ajscottsr posts big blind (0.25)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Embers123 [ 4d, Ad ]
tdpalermo folds.
REDDRAGGON1 calls (0.25)
magnumpi308 folds.
garpox folds.
pling111 folds.
Embers123 calls (0.25)
BPlayer71 folds.
AceTheSnake calls (0.25)
MoHokie folds.
ajscottsr checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ac, 2s, 4c ]
ajscottsr checks.
REDDRAGGON1 bets (0.75)
Embers123 raises (3) to 3
AceTheSnake folds.
ajscottsr folds.
REDDRAGGON1 raises (24) to 24.75
REDDRAGGON1 is all-In.

Comments

• Ace King? Ace Queen? Maybe 2 pair?

CALL!!
  • if you are trying to purely whore, play PL. Guarentees raked hands.
  • I was playing 2 windows of PL Omaha as well, what about the hand BBC?
  • Call. What beats you? Trips..maybe. Straight?

The other guy may have A 2. I highly doubt the straight or AA. Sure 22 and 44 scares you but you can't live in fear.
  • I would guess the money you have on the table represents a decent portion of your bankroll on the site.  To play effectively, I find I need to have roughly 2% of my bankroll on the table at any one time.  I know this sounds very conservative, but it makes these decisions much easier.  

It's a tight table.  I think most players would realize that.  Unless your foe was a total moron, he understands the tightness of the table.  Given that, his expectation would be that his opponent would fold here, not call.  So, he wants a fold.  There was no raise pre-flop, so he's not too afraid of a big ace being out there.  

If he had a set, or straight I think he'd try and milk it more.  He'd be afraid of scaring you away.  I would have to put him on a wide range of hands which you can beat, but he may still be drawing.  

So, if you're not too afraid of a flush draw getting there or another two pair, I think you can call here.

Cheers
    Magi
  • thanks Lou etal,

Lou- in this game, max you can bring to the table is 25.00 (lowest limit on Empire/Party, blinds .10/.25) I sat down with Max, but, your advice is good as always.

In the end, I called, he had KQc and missed.

I labored over it for a while and called, wasn't sure if this should have been automatic call or not, and wanted the members advice.
  • I play these 25nl ltables to screw around when I get bored of playing limit. I love playing these tables because like Lou said usually the $25 represents a good portion of someone's bankroll. Whereas in a limit game I am constantly putting at least that much money at risk each hand I play. It is good entertainment to watch people lay down, like you said, to a $2 raise. Also people think that an allin raise will make me fold.

My point is that to many of the players on the table $25 represents a lot but there will always be players at a table where a $25 bet couldn't push them off middle pair. You have to read the players and figure out who is who. Once you know that, it becomes an easy call or an easy fold.