LOST $250 DOLLARS IN ONE HAND! ...wanna see how it went down?

Okay, so i'm sitting at the 5/10 table @ the Poker Room, which is notorious for its bad beats!
I'm dealt :3c :3d in the big blind. utg then raises, two callers, and myself. Here comes the mighty flop! :kh :3s :9c so I check my trips, trying to play the trap. utg makes a bet, everyone folds. My turn to act, I call. (i'm excited, cuz' I think he's got Kings). Time for the Turn Card, its a :kd. I bet to represent the king, utg re-raises me! When it's my turn to act, I pause momentarily so he thinks i'm poundering a call, but at that point all I could think about was this guy being my ATM! I then re-raise him back! ...We then eventually Cap the action, and wait for the mighty river. River card is a :4s thats a big brick for both of us. I raise, he re-raises and we do this till we cap the action!
I get out of my chair, and already celebrating cuz' I think he's got Ace/King.....but nooooooo...
guess what the guy had?!?! :9s :9h

Can you believe that?!?!?!! ..Did I play this hand wrong?? We both turned boats, but he has a better boat...I don't get it!! ...

What should I have done? , other then fold in the first place!

-Ali

Comments

• I would have been a little concerned with all that raising - he could have had pocket kings or K9.

But, for the most part its a shitty situation -hopefully next time you are the one with the 99.
  • TNORTH wrote:
    I would have been a little concerned with all that raising - he could have had pocket kings or K9.

But, for the most part its a shitty situation -hopefully next time you are the one with the 99.

I totally agree. Capped the flop is OK, but that King on 4th, is an ugly card, even though it made your full house. Maybe calling is a better idea.

Still, a shitty beat is a shitty beat. Soryy about your luck.

JohnnieH
  • If that site is so notorious for bad beats then shouldn't you have 1 outed him for the win given you were never ahead in this hand at any point?

Lower set vs upper set on the flop is nearly always an expensive non bad beat.
  • That's life, set over set you lose money in limit poker, you're supposed to. Although there are more hands than just an overset that can beat you here.
  • I understand your frustraion but I hate to be the one to tell you it was not a shitty beat. Its tough to see other hands that could be out there when you flop a set and turn a tight but you cant call this situation a shitty beat because never at any point in the hand were you winning. I know I wouldnt be able to lay that hand down but as stated in earlier posts calling may have been a better play. I wasnt there but if I was in your shoes and I was in late position with pocket threes I may fold if there is a lot of action preflop. I find it very hard to put in four bets with a small pocket pair. I dont find its worth it to call every pp eventhough you get paid off if you hit the set. But you still are a 4 to 1 dog to any higher pp and if I have to call 2 bets or more cold with small pocket i fold. But thats just me.
  • OMFGWTFBBQ PiZoWNORed!!!!!!111oneeleven

You are clearly a tool, and here is why:

"...which is notorious for its bad beats!"

I'm sorry, I can't respond to this because I am laughing too hard.

"I'm dealt 33 in the big blind. utg then raises, two callers, and myself"

This is ok.

"I check my trips, trying to play the trap"

Bet the flop, because gutshot straightdraws such as QJ or JT, which are always seeing flops in 5-10 games, must be knocked out by the preflop raiser's raise. When everyone folds, raise it and get AK to 3-bet you. Then you can decide whether or not to cap it or checkraise the turn, depending on if the player is agressive enough to 3-bet the turn with AK or AA. If you lose QQ or JJ so be it.

"I bet to represent the king, utg re-raises me!"

He can't re-raise a bet. You bet, he raises, THEN you re-raise. You speak good.

" I pause momentarily so he thinks i'm poundering a call"

This is the oldest online tell in the book. stalling then raising = the nuts or something close. Don't give off tells.

"We then eventually Cap the action"

Ok, he has announced a powerhouse hand. 99, AK are the only two possibilities unless your opponent is LAGtarded.

"I raise, he re-raises and we do this till we cap the action!"

You bet, he raises, and you reraise, and he reraises/caps it. That being said, what on earth is he raising you with on the turn that you can beat now? AK? You think you cap the turn and AK still raises that river? Again, unless he's a total LAG he's not raising the river with only trips when you've announced that you have either a good K or a set by your previous action. Therefore, the play is to call the raise on the river.

"Can you believe that?!?!?!! ..Did I play this hand wrong?? We both turned boats, but he has a better boat...I don't get it!! ..."

I can believe it, set over set happens all the time. If this is your first set over set experience get ready for a long painful poker road. You probably gave slightly too much action but I'd probably only lose a bet or two less. You both had full houses and you lost. That's poker.

"What should I have done? , other then fold in the first place!"

You should not have folded preflop, you were getting 7.5-1 + implied odds to flop a set. Relax. That's poker. Most other times he'll have AK and you'll win a whole lot of money.
  • Where did he say it was capped preflop? It was a single raise and he was in the BB with 3 others in the pot...you're going to lay down a PP with initial 7:1 odds and god knows what implied odds at a low limit table? I don't think so.
  • Oh, and just thank god you were online or from the sounds of it he would own your house as the raising would still be going on as we speak
  • OH again, I think you're bluffing about losing $250 on this hand, do the math...
  • Am I mistaken or is it only possible to lose $120 in a given hand at a 5-10 table with a 4-bet/street cap? How does one lose $250?

Although I assume there are opportunity costs involved which could be considered losses, but I dont think that applies well here
  • I agree with most other replies here; set over set is an unfortunate situation for you..when you have the worst of it (when you think you have the best of it!).

Be wary. I've has this scenario (and even a better one) where I could not believe the under set(s) did not just call. WATCH ONE HERE!.
  • ryanhealy wrote:
    Am I mistaken or is it only possible to lose $120 in a given hand at a 5-10 table with a 4-bet/street cap? How does one lose $250?

Although I assume there are opportunity costs involved which could be considered losses, but I dont think that applies well here

I'm guessing he means that he lost a $250 pot. Oh well.
  • You guys responding seem to have a misread just like the original poster.
    Since he lost 250 bucks on the hand, and the river betting was capped that means he started the hand with 250 bucks (or the 99 guy had only 250) and they went 19 bets on the river!!
    And since this is the case, the 33 hand is absurdly overplayed.
    I understand a capped turn the way you played it, but to lose anything more than 2 bets on the river with your 3s full is attrotious play.
    Bet the river and call his raise.
  • djalikool wrote:
    at that point all I could think about was this guy being my ATM!

I think this is by far the biggest mistake you made in the hand.
  • haha Ali you got it in the ear!
    A reraise on the river represents the nuts, with a pair up on the board he couldve had quads for all you know, your baby full house was nowhere near THE NUTZ