Short-stacked with weak Ace

In the middle of a free-roll, ranked near the bottom (550 of 650 - 1200 started), and my stack is less than 1/2 average.  Blinds are 300/600 (100).

After posting the BB, my stack is 7050.  4 others at table have around 7k, 2 have 11k, and the 2 big stacks have 40K.  The 2 big stacks are pretty aggressive, and have been gobbling up our blinds (as well as making some questionable all-in calls), and are currently on the button and SB.

Everyone folded to the BB, who made a pot-sized bet of 1900, and SB folded.  Pot is $4300 and $1900 to call.  The button has been raising a lot of pots pre-flop, and has called all-ins with A2o, A4o, and 88, as well as winning at showdown with 10-8o in the last couple rounds.  However, most of his wins have been pre-flop or with continuation bets on the flop.  Basically, nobody has had the nerve/cards to challenge him, and I haven't picked up any hands to play with (no pairs, connectors, or suited A's :( - how I survived this long I don't know).

Anyway, I have :ac :7h .  However, the villain has shown that he over-values A-rag, and his raise doesn't really indicate real strength (unless he's catching monsters every 3 hands).  My M is just under 4 right now if I fold (and I'm immediately in the SB).  Based on his previous play, if I call he'll bet on the flop, so I'm committed.  If I move all-in, it will make the pot 11,350 and cost him 5150 to call, so about 2 to 1.  Based on his previous play, I think he'll call about 60% of the time (I'd make his range any pair or any A + ), so I'm expecting action if I play.  Also, if an A falls, my

I'm pretty tight, so my gut is telling me it's way to weak to call with.  However, based on my low stack, my logic is saying that maybe I should move in.  My rough odds from memory was that if he had an A, just over half the time he'd be a 7-3 favorite (bigger ace) and the rest would be in my favor.  If he had pockets, just over half I'd be drawing to the A (again 7-3), and the rest (low pockets) would be a race.  If he called the odds weren't in my favor (win about 40%), but since I thought he'd fold 40% of the time, maybe the right play would be to put my tightness away and simply move in on him.

Note that all of the above is going through my head rapidly as my timer ticks away.  How close is my quick memory math, and what would your play be?

Comments

• Did you consider a smooth call then pushing on the flop?
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Did you consider a smooth call then pushing on the flop?
    Yes, and that's what I'm wondering (fold/call/push).  With just calling, I lose any fold equity.  Also, based on the range he has (I only listed the all-in calling range, I'd expect it looser for his original raise), if I hit a 7, he could have hit a higher pair (assuming he played 9-10) or already have one.  Also, if an A comes and he's got one, it's a coin-toss for my kicker.  Basically, my feeling is that a smooth-call allows me to walk away from a missed flop with 5150 (M=2.5) but if I hit I don't know where I stand (50/50 of being ahead/behind), and I lose any fold equity. 

My gut was fold, my brain was push, but I didn't think a smooth-call made sense - but again, that's why I'm asking for some feedback on my logic.
  • Pre-flop, your push will offer him 2-1 odds, right? He'd have to have a pretty bad hand and you'd have to have a pretty good one for him to actually chase with improper odds. Plus he has the big stack and has shown a willingness to mix it up. So you could push and hope you have a better hand at showdown.

Or, you smooth call. It looks like you will act first. It's better if you caught the flop but no matter what you push. Chances are he didn't hit. So he's got to wonder if you hit and how many outs he has to catch up. Since it's about a half pot bet, he needs at least 8 outs to be correctly drawing, assuming he hasn't figured out what you are doing. Not many flops will offer that many outs. It is still possible you win at showdown. So this way gives you 2 ways to win the pot. Of course the risk is, he would have folded pre-flop but now he catches something and won't fold. But your description makes me think he's calling pre-flop anyway.

Food for thought.
  • I would probably shove it in. Getting 2:1 he can fold a complete steal but if he calls that's ok too. You figure to have the best hand if he's stealing that much so might as well get value for it or pick up the pot uncontested.
  • You are either pushing or folding.

I would push - against one other opponent your A alone maybe good.

If he has you outkicked its not like you were going to get away from that on the flop anyhow if the Ace comes. That is why I wouldnt smooth call. Considering your stack size.

Push and hope he folds - if he calls hope you are ahead - but in your position you have to make a move. It may be the best hand you see before the blinds come back and you are forced to push with less. And possibley against more players.

Just my two cents.

I am all in.
  • Looking at the winning percentages spreadsheet on Dave's site (http://canadianpoker.com/spreadsheets/Spreadsheet.html), if we put your opponent in the 'Loose' category, A7o is a 53% favourite over his range of hands. So I'm not averse to getting all my chips in against him but be aware that about half the time you are going to lose if you go to showdown. I think you have made a strong case he's likely to call your pre-flop push. That's why I prefer the stop and go play since you get a small amount of fold equity at least with this play that you wouldn't with a pre-flop move. I'd guess your chances of winning move up to 60% albeit the pot will be a bit smaller if he folds. I prefer the risk/reward scenario here.
  • The stop and go is a good move in some situations, but I've come to realize i don't like it that much except using it as more of a bluff or in a situation where there is additional incentive to decrease variance at the cost of chip EV like near a pay increase. My problem is the following: If our opponent is on a steal we likely have the best hand. If so, when we bet the flop we're just giving him a chance to get away from his hand cheaply (assuming he would call preflop, if he would fold preflop that's even more reason to push preflop, and in this case he would be folding correctly on the flop since our bet is large) when he misses the flop, but call when he hits. The times where he misses we're going to wish we had him all-in preflop so we could likely get the rest of his chips, and the times he hits we lose anyways, so we're really just giving away equity the times he misses, unless we can gain back that equity by moving him off the best hand or getting him to fold incorrectly when he has the odds to call on the flop fairly often. I don't think the latter happens often enough to offset the difference, at least against a good player. Here we do have some fold equity preflop as well, perhaps not much, but that makes the decision even more clear to me.
  • Excellent points, Mr. Sir, sir. I'm leaning toward your point of view but I'd like to understand the parameters of this situation.

I'm curious what people think the odds of a stop and go working against this guy are? Then somehow compare the value of the increased likelihood of winning the pot using this move (as opposed to to all-in preflop) against a smaller increase in your stack (from 100% to only increasing by 50 or 60%). Given that I'm not giving up that many chips in a relative sense, I like the lower variance.

Like you mentioned, I think the stop and go could get him off a better ace or an underpair, which are hands he is unlikely to fold pre-flop. These are two potential hands in this scenario.

I don't believe you mentioned the possibility that he could hit the winning hand on the turn or river if he's all-in but if we can get him to fold on the flop, we're money. Does that sort of cancel out with the fact that smooth calling could allow him to hit the flop whereas we might have got him to fold pre-flop?
  • Take away the villain's positional advantage by pushing all in. I'd hate to play this hand postflop out of position for a big chunk of my chips. You're too short-stacked to pull off fancy play. Plus this is a free-roll, don't give your opponents too much credit here.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Excellent points, Mr. Sir, sir. I'm leaning toward your point of view but I'd like to understand the parameters of this situation.

I'm curious what people think the odds of a stop and go working against this guy are? Then somehow compare the value of the increased likelihood of winning the pot using this move (as opposed to to all-in preflop) against a smaller increase in your stack (from 100% to only increasing by 50 or 60%). Given that I'm not giving up that many chips in a relative sense, I like the lower variance.

Like you mentioned, I think the stop and go could get him off a better ace or an underpair, which are hands he is unlikely to fold pre-flop. These are two potential hands in this scenario.

I don't believe you mentioned the possibility that he could hit the winning hand on the turn or river if he's all-in but if we can get him to fold on the flop, we're money. Does that sort of cancel out with the fact that smooth calling could allow him to hit the flop whereas we might have got him to fold pre-flop?

Yeah my analysis isn't entirely complete for simplicity's sake. There are a few other variables to consider but they cancel each other out a bit like you said or and are not as significant as the cases I discussed. How often is the player described here folding a big ace to an all-in on the flop that looks like exactly what it is: a stop and go bluff. I'm not giving him the credit to understand that, but it at least looks "funny" to him so I'm guessing he's not folding that often.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Excellent points, Mr. Sir, sir. I'm leaning toward your point of view but I'd like to understand the parameters of this situation.

I would agree in some situations - but given the parameters - you are not likely to push this guy off a better Ace.

For the following reasons:

1. you are betting 5000 at at $6200 pot against a loose player with top pair.
    2. all your chips are in - so he is more likely to call knowing it wont cost him any more to see the next two cards.
    3. you smooth called the flop so if his better ace is A9 or A10 he would probably feel he was ahead of you anyhow.
    4. he may not even be paying attention to fancy play - if this is a free roll he is likely playing another table too; and this hand is not nearly as big for him as it is for you.

The stop and go could be effective if your stack was say 15K but at 5k with a $6k pot - dont bet on it.
  • TNORTH wrote:
    1. you are betting 5000 at at $6200 pot against a loose player with top pair.
    I was going on the assumption that there was no Ace on the flop. I should have made that clear.

Alternatively, if he's playing a small pair, he would definitely be in trouble if there were an Ace on the flop. If this were to happen, acting first, I would go for the check-raise all-in on the flop.
  • This past summer I was very upset at splitting a pot when I thought I was a huge favourite.  I was all in with A7 vs dude with A5.  Ok, I thought I was in like flint.  We split the pot and I was really peeved thinking I was a big favourite.

Then I checked the numbers, and they tell a different tale.  Ax vs AT-3 where x is less than the other hand is really not that much of a dog.  Yes, it won't win very often, but if you factor in the ties, it's really not that bad a situation.  Things start to diverge is at the Jack.  So, if you're opponent has AJ or better things start to look grim for your weak ace. 

Against say AT you're around 35% to tie or  win. And it gets much better at A9 when it's around a 40% chance to tie or win.  So, you're only in real trouble against AJ or better.

If you then factor in the hand range that they may hold, things start to look much better as pkrfce pointed out.  And, as someone mentioned, you really want to get all the chips in if you're a favourite.  There is some fold equity by pushing.  No much, but there's some.  So, assuming all that, and that you need chips, I think you want to push here.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Thanks for all the feedback.  What actually happened was that I cold-called.  Not for good reasons like those presented by pkrfce (stoop-n-go), but simply because my timer ticked down to nothing and I couldn't decide between folding or pushing.  Stupid, but in lieu of making a decision I saw the flop.  I hate timers! :rage:

The flop came down :6h :kh :qh and without hesitation I moved all-in.  My split-second thought was that if he has no heart I win, otherwise I go home.  He thought for a bit and finally folded, commenting
    Are you sure? 
    Hmmmm
    that flop missed me good
    no hearts, no K, no Q. 
    I don't see how I can call with just a gutshot.
    So I'm back up just over $11k.  This hand bothered me though, because while I stayed alive, in hindsight I think the all-in was the correct move (although I may have then lost the hand if he hit the straight without another heart).

Here's the kicker - next hand (in SB) I got another weak ace (:as :2d) - LOL.
  • You didnt loose that 11k on A2 did you???
  • TNORTH wrote:
    You didnt loose that 11k on A2 did you???
    No, not a chance. Once I saw it I decided to fold, regardless of the action. If they were suited, I might limp hoping to flop the flush. As it stood, playing would only get me in trouble, and I now had enough chips to wait a few more rounds. The actual action was UTG limp, button limped, and I stuck with my original decision and folded. Maybe too tight (folding when it's 300 to call a pot of 3000), but barring trip deuces on the flop, I think this hand will either lose me a little or a lot, no real gain I can see (and this is a deep-stack tourney).
  • Definately a good fold - especially with a little room now. With 11K you are now able to force the big stacks to play a quarter of their chips to call you.