NL Cash Game Hand Analysis

The following hand came up whoring on party that I would like some thoughts on.  This is my first hand at this table.

***** Hand History for Game 3234480676 *****
$25 PL Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, December 20, 11:55:32 EDT 2005
Table Table  66180 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: OLE31 ( $22.10 )
Seat 2: txraider1 ( $7.75 )
Seat 3: strivewind ( $6.65 )
Seat 4: mailman30 ( $50.03 )
Seat 5: hateyourgutz ( $23.25 )
Seat 6: dodgravaren ( $64.85 )
Seat 7: lulu1442 ( $15.05 )
Seat 8: ConchOut ( $39.44 )
Seat 9: kalozdi ( $25 )
mailman30 posts small blind [$0.10].
hateyourgutz posts big blind [$0.25].
kalozdi posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to kalozdi [  9h Ah ]
dodgravaren calls [$0.25].
lulu1442 folds.
ConchOut folds.
kalozdi checks.
OLE31 folds.
txraider1 calls [$0.25].
strivewind calls [$0.25].
mailman30 calls [$0.15].
hateyourgutz checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4s, 7d, Ac ]
mailman30 checks.
hateyourgutz checks.
OrdinaryFly has joined the table.
dodgravaren checks.
kalozdi bets [$1.45].
txraider1 folds.
strivewind calls [$1.45].
mailman30 calls [$1.45].
hateyourgutz folds.
dodgravaren folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4c ]
mailman30 checks.
kalozdi bets [$5].
strivewind folds.
mailman30 raises [$10].

What's your action?

Comments

• I fold, you're not beating much here with that kicker.
  • I agree - that bet is 40x the BB - you have top pair with a weak kicker and no flush draw (if you are playing A9s you are really playing for a flush or two-pair) you dont have either - so FOLD. Having said that, keep your eye on that player if he is constantly making similar raises - you can capitalize better when you have the hand to do so.
  • My experience with these NL (or PL) tables, is that the xBB calculation is not a very good indication of anything. People in these rooms love to get their $$ in the pot. It isn't very exciting betting $1 is it? These low limit, NL rooms are dangerous, to protect a good hand you have to pay way more than the hand is worth, but if you play scared (read tight), you don't have much of a chance at winning $$. I would probably also fold here, but my guess is that you are against another A and he might have you outkicked.

Then leave this table, and go play a small buy-in tournament if you want to practice NL or go to a limit table.
  • I agree that using the XBB is not the same here as a regular cash game. And that you cant judge the strength of the hand based on that.

But since people are loose and love getting there money in there - why not capatilize next time when you know you are ahead.