Weird donk bet on turn - fold???

Trying to figure out what these bets means always has me scratching my head because I'm trying to figure out what level my opponent is thinking at. I wouldn't expect a made flush to lead out, I've seen players make a bluff here with nothing, or a semibluff with the Ah. It also looks potentially like a K that decided to slowplay the flop with the intention of raising me on the turn, but then got scared when the 3rd heart fell, and even if that's the case, then there's some chance that headsup that my heart draw might be good. I know this a heavily read dependent question. Opponent seemed somewhat tight, and generally passive. Fold given it's a tiny pot? Raise to try for a free showdown? Call hoping it's a bluff attempt/or hoping the the T high flush draw is good?

***** Hand History for Game 3224589057 *****
$3/$6 Texas Hold'em - Sunday, December 18, 20:34:34 EDT 2005
Table Table 67614 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: woobwoob ( $258.50 )
Seat 2: Fondil_III ( $208.50 )
Seat 3: Dagwu ( $28.25 )
Seat 4: NegroWhitey ( $130 )
Seat 5: MightyMovers ( $409.25 )
Seat 6: MRS_MARY ( $127.50 )
Seat 7: shdudfla ( $172 )
Seat 8: ScoobD ( $303 )
Seat 9: koolroger ( $81 )
Seat 10: BigLou51 ( $241.50 )
MRS_MARY posts small blind [$1].
shdudfla posts big blind [$3].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ScoobD [ Th Tc ]
ScoobD raises [$6].
koolroger folds.
BigLou51 folds.
woobwoob folds.
Fondil_III folds.
Dagwu folds.
NegroWhitey folds.
MightyMovers folds.
MRS_MARY calls [$5].
shdudfla folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Kd, Kh, 3h ]
MRS_MARY checks.
ScoobD bets [$3].
MRS_MARY calls [$3].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6h ]
MRS_MARY bets [$6].
ScoobD ?

Comments

• I'd raise here hoping for a fold being that she is somewhat passive.
    If she calls the raise (or reraises) time to think about a fold.

I think she's on 2 pair with a flush draw.

Hobbes
  • The passive player betting the turn scares me.   I'd like to tell you to fold here... But I probably wouldn't.  You don't want to setup possible bluffs at you in the future.

If it was a more aggressive player, I'd raise and go for a free showdown.
    In this case, just call down.  She likely has a King or pocket 6s.
  • Villian made the flush or holds a King.. but you are definately beat. Get out.

The donkbet out of turn from a passive means they made thier hand and can't wait to tell you about it. Don't look too deep into thier play, it's very shallow.
    In this case, just call down. She likely has a King or pocket 6s.

If we ignore the potential image problems folding creates, calling down SUCKS. 2BB to get showdown when you are likely way behind in a 3BB pot.
  • You're right.... try this against a LAG that donk bets at you, but not a LPP.
  • You're right.... try this against a LAG that donk bets at you, but not a LPP.

Ya, my bad. I've seen so many passive players make weird bluff attempts though that I felt compelled to call down. Should have figured that for a passive player to bet there that the odds of a bluff aren't high enough to make calling down +EV (unless maybe my heart draw was good). Given that the pot was so small I think I should have dumped it on the turn though. River was a 6 (double pairing the board) and villian bet again, and I grudgingly called only to be showed AK with the Ah.
  • Against a passive this is really scary, I'd generally have a hard time folding but maybe you can find one here. Getting only 4:1 you don't have to call if you think you only have 2 outs more often than 11. When she bets the river again you can probably find a fold if she's that passive. I don't like raising this turn against an aggressive player because he's going to bluff the river anyways and he just might have you beat. A good aggressive player will sometimes take this line hoping to bet-3bet the turn with a king when you try a free showdown raise/value raise when you think he's on a bluff. I've spent so much effort learning not to fold to LAGs in spots like these but against a LPP you should go with your read and fold unless you've seen something to suggest otherwise.