A donk play and a good play for analysis

Don't have hand history for the first one so here's a description as best I can recall it:

Blinds 1k/2k ante 100, I have 35K slightly below average, BB has me covered by a couple K. In the money about 25 players left. Folded to hero in CO who makes it 5K to go with :6h :7h. Only BB calls. Flop :2h :2s :5c. BB leads for 8K, hero pushes.

PokerStars Game #3374727165: Tournament #16586818, Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2005/12/19 - 01:45:10 (ET)
Table '16586818 8' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: mclaughlin04 (4899 in chips)
Seat 2: CardsnBass (7430 in chips)
Seat 3: luckyman71 (8605 in chips)
Seat 4: SirWatts (8763 in chips)
Seat 5: Meanal (9690 in chips)
Seat 6: BigThicky (4400 in chips)
Seat 7: metzeric (3000 in chips)
Seat 8: Skypilot715 (7640 in chips)
Seat 9: Speareman (8005 in chips)
Meanal: posts small blind 100
BigThicky: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SirWatts [6s Ad]
6 folds
SirWatts: raises 400 to 600
Meanal: raises 400 to 1000
BigThicky: folds
SirWatts: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [Qs 2c 6h]
Meanal: checks
SirWatts: bets 1200
Meanal: calls 1200
*** TURN *** [Qs 2c 6h] [7h]
Meanal: checks
SirWatts: checks
*** RIVER *** [Qs 2c 6h 7h] [6d]
Meanal: bets 2400
SirWatts: raises 4138 to 6538 and is all-in
Meanal: calls 4138

Comments

• Where's the good play?
  • Where's the good play?

Best play is likely checking behind on the turn... and fortunately hitting the miracle card.
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    Best play is likely checking behind on the turn

This is the only correct decision I make postflop that hand.
    ScoobyD wrote:
    ... and fortunately hitting the miracle card.

Not so much.
  • Ugh, I actually thought about that, but I'd have guessed AA or KK a more likely candidate for a min raise preflop than QQ.
  • Agreed but after the check/call on the flop I should know it pretty much has to be QQ (or at least it is often enough that raising the river is very terrible, folding there still seems bad).  I was just going to call but then I started thinking about it and monkey mind took over....  Anyways the good play in my opinion is hand 1 believe it or not, even if BBC doesn't like it.
  • Anyways the good play in my opinion is hand 1 believe it or not, even if BBC doesn't like it.

You provided no reads on the BB, No reads on the table and no tournament situation. Without all that stuff, the play sucks.

I know you arent insane so theres a reason for the move, but without the justification it appears like you are telling us to bluff steal with no outs anytime we want.
  • No only when a (seemingly) good player donks into you on the flop on a drawless board that he should know you will continuation bet with 100% of the hands you raised preflop with, when the stacks are deep enough that he can fold to your raise, but short enough that he's almost certainly not trying to induce a raise so that you're committed when he comes over the top. Also your table image is decent enough that there is a reasonable chance he will fold a small-mid pair and will definitely fold any A-high type semi-bluff. Then I think it's a good option, but i suppose it's still debatable, hence the post.
  • I don't mind the play, but it does require these table conditions you mentioned to pull off. Without the reads, it looks reckless. But you're right, a decent player will not lead out on that flop if they hit it hard enough to call your all in.