how to maximize value?

I was playing 0.5/0.10 NL on pokerstars this morning. At the table for about 5 minutes, so no real reads on anyone, when I played the following hand. Just wondering how I could have maximized value here. Any advice appreciated!

PokerStars Game #3366400743: Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2005/12/18 - 09:10:31 (ET)
Table 'Ganymede' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: SmoothDaddy ($10.75 in chips)
Seat 2: EvKi ($11.05 in chips)
Seat 3: lvloRe ($16.55 in chips)
Seat 4: thejinx1 ($9.60 in chips)
Seat 5: NYBigB ($8.75 in chips)
Seat 6: FlipFlopBoy ($9.35 in chips)
Seat 7: emeraldsrus ($5.50 in chips)
Seat 8: ElElliott ($4.75 in chips)
Seat 9: PandaSaurus ($17.35 in chips)
EvKi: posts small blind $0.05
lvloRe: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ElElliott [Jd Qh]
thejinx1: folds
NYBigB: calls $0.10
FlipFlopBoy: calls $0.10
emeraldsrus: calls $0.10
ElElliott: raises $0.20 to $0.30 I raised here to either get some of the limpers to fold, or get more money into the pot. If I missed the flop, it's an easy fold.
PandaSaurus: calls $0.30
SmoothDaddy: folds
EvKi: folds
lvloRe: folds
NYBigB: calls $0.20
FlipFlopBoy: calls $0.20
emeraldsrus: folds
*** FLOP *** [Qc Qs 8d]
NYBigB: checks
FlipFlopBoy: checks
ElElliott: bets $0.30
PandaSaurus: folds
NYBigB: folds
FlipFlopBoy: folds
ElElliott collected $1.40 from pot
ElElliott: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.45 | Rake $0.05
Board [Qc Qs 8d]
Seat 1: SmoothDaddy (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: EvKi (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: lvloRe (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: thejinx1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: NYBigB folded on the Flop
Seat 6: FlipFlopBoy folded on the Flop
Seat 7: emeraldsrus folded before Flop
Seat 8: ElElliott collected ($1.40)
Seat 9: PandaSaurus folded on the Flop

Should I have checked? Bet smaller?

Thanks.

Comments

• I don't think you are going to get any value here. You bet a smallish amount and they both folded because they had nothing. I like your flop bet.
  • Don't think there's anything else you could have done there... perhaps check the flop, but I normally hate checking with trips.

I like the bet. I might even bet a little more... it might look like you are just trying to put in a continuation bet, or trying to steal the pot.
  • You guys want to play large pots with QJo? I dislike the preflop raise.
  • Eleanor, please play this way on Thursday.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Eleanor, please play this way on Thursday.

Ooh, we'll have two pkrfce9s at the table!!

I'm IN!
  • BBC - why do you dislike the pre-flop raise. Is it because my potential made hands aren't that great, and by increasing the pot, I'm increasing the odds that others will stay in and make better hands? (Just guessing here)

Greg - why do you say that?
  • BBC Z wrote:
    You guys want to play large pots with QJo? I dislike the preflop raise.

I don't mind the raise here with good position. I would have folded had there been a raise in front but in this case there could be worse then raising from the cutoff position. Do you see this as a major mistake? I mean its pretty easy to get away from.
  • #1 I was mostly kidding. It's low limit so there'll be lots of strange plays. It's fun to experiment there.
    #2 QJo is a pretty trashy hand. But good to mix things up once in a while. I thought you only raised with premium hands? Your image is shattered, missy!
    #3 You're in MP and you make a weak raise against 2 limpers. I wouldn't have expected any of them to fold but one did anyway. So you're building a bigger pot with a weak hand.
    #4 You've hit top trips. If you're lucky someone has an overpair. Not likely since there was no re-raise pre-flop. Or they've hit bottom pair. Or an inside straight draw or backdoor flush draw. Generally, someone would be chasing huge odds to make this call. Not likely to happen. At least you made it a small bet. If you'd hit bottom trips when they are fairly low, you're more likely to get a caller. If you are unlucky, someone just hit a full house and you'll get more action then you would have wanted. I think you'd have been better off waiting for the turn and hoping someone caught something but then you run the risk of losing the pot. But at least you can have a hot chocolate afterwards...
  • BBC - why do you dislike the pre-flop raise. Is it because my potential made hands aren't that great, and by increasing the pot, I'm increasing the odds that others will stay in and make better hands? (Just guessing here)

Additionally, the size of your raise is so small that anyone who limped will call you and the hand has some serious domination issues. You'll lose alot when you make top pair and someone has you outkicked. When you DO have the top pair, its unlikely you'll ever have anyone dominated so anyone that calls you have to be nervous about.. Seems like a standard win a small pot, lose a big one hand.
  • Thanks, everyone, for the feedback - very helpful!

And Greg - I only raise with premium hands when I'm playing against you ;)