Play this limit hand with me. 5/10 Party LAG table.

I'll post a different street each day. Any comments welcome.

Interesting table: LAG preflop. Passive postflop.

Stats: VP$IP/PF Raise/Aggression Factor
mxixkxe: 42/17/1.2
zahlawee: 46/23/0.6
checkshuffle: 17/8/3
nbredcc: 17/3/0.71
Hork42: (you all know how maniacal I can be)

***** Hand History for Game 3212665818 *****
$5/$10 Texas Hold'em - Friday, December 16, 19:58:01 EDT 2005
Table Table 64702 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 9: mxixkxe ( $348.29 )
Seat 10: sammy482 ( $83.75 )
Seat 7: Hork42 ( $196.50 )
Seat 2: kasp_ ( $251.50 )
Seat 4: nbredcc ( $168 )
Seat 6: qotsa720 ( $341.50 )
Seat 1: zahlawee ( $117.86 )
Seat 5: checkshuffle ( $238 )
Seat 3: Poker_Beaver ( $52 )
Seat 8: docmc1212 ( $250 )
nbredcc posts small blind [$2].
checkshuffle posts big blind [$5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hork42 [ 8s 8d ]
qotsa720 folds.
Hork42 calls [$5].
mxixkxe raises [$10].
sammy482 folds.
zahlawee raises [$15].
kasp_ folds.
Poker_Beaver folds.
nbredcc calls [$13].
checkshuffle calls [$10].
Hork42 calls [$10].
mxixkxe calls [$5].

EP, I don't like to drive people out with mid pairs. Limp, hope for some of these loose dudes to limp in too.

Ok, Wild-dude#1 raised... oh crap a 3-bet. and the Rock blinds completed 3 bets?!? Interessant... Lots of potential in this pot. I considered capping it cause I thought it would get capped anyway, but I decided to see if I could get away with seeing the flop for 3.

Comments? Anyone fold to two bets coming back?

I'll post the flop tomorrow.

Comments

• Call for the set draw, I like it.
  • I would probably open raise (I don't mind folding either) cuz I just don't do the limp thing too much except at loose passive tables where I can count on getting enough callers for my implied odds. Defnitely call 2 more and hope to catch a nice flop, this is going to be a monster pot.
  • I think it would have been interesting to see your %'s at the table to get an idea of what the raise/re-re raise might have thought of you/your table image.

I'd have limped...mix's raise could be anything 2 big cards trying to get others out

tight/never raise in the SB re-raises? Bigger pair? AK/AQ.

I'd have grudgingly called the 2 bets, i'm weak and would not have considered capping and prayed for a flop that I figured missed them both.

Again thought, it would be nice to know what they might have thought of you.
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    I think it would have been interesting to see your %'s at the table to get an idea of what the raise/re-re raise might have thought of you/your table image.

Again thought, it would be nice to know what they might have thought of you.

Rock solid.... ;)

nah, uhh... my stats for the session at this point are 25/15/5. I'd been getting good cards and betting the hell out of them. Other players have seen me showdown nothing but good hands.
  • Calling $10 into a $65 pot already for the set seems logical since you will get paid way more then your 9-1 odds against getting one. I am not sure what capping would do as that is an extra 4-1 odds for your money (on the same 9-1 shot) and I doubt everyone will fold to a bet post flop no matter what the flop is.

I would take even money that you made your set and won the pot :P
  • Monteroy wrote:
    I would take even money that you made your set and won the pot :P

You're betting on two lines, sir. Pick one :)
  • ok you certainly made your set. Now I am changing the second line to take the odds (whatever they are) that you lost to a bad beat in the end after flopping a set :)
  • Here's the flop.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8h, 3h, Qs ]
    nbredcc checks.
    checkshuffle checks.
    Hork42 bets [$5].
    mxixkxe raises [$10].
    zahlawee folds.
    nbredcc calls [$10].
    checkshuffle folds.
    Hork42 raises [$10].
    mxixkxe calls [$5].
    nbredcc calls [$5].

I thought I could probably try for a check-raise, but decided to lead out to use mxixkxe's aggression to my advantage. It turns out he did raise, and I was able to trap everyone who wanted to stay in for one more bet. I have a strong hand, but there is a possible flush draw. People who are drawing to it won't leave, even if I face them with calling two bets cold (which is what happened here) On the other hand a check risks everyone behind me getting a free card. The tight preflop 3-bettor has already checked it to me, who knows what these dudes behind me have. I bet out, and I think i get the result I wanted.

Comments?
  • I like betting out so you can raise it again. The people drawing to the flush have less odds than you do to make a boat. At this point (unless the flush does hit on the turn) I bet out the whole way.
  • Now that you hit your set, I'd play it fast and bet out with the possible flush draw there.
  • Bet out against the possible flush draw, but cautious on higher trips being in mxix's hand. Unless he has a higher pocket pair, and is hoping to catch a card on the turn again. I'm betting it out, see if he raises. If so, I'm not sure if I would re raise or just call it.
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    Bet out against the possible flush draw, but cautious on higher trips being in mxix's hand. Unless he has a higher pocket pair, and is hoping to catch a card on the turn again. I'm betting it out, see if he raises. If so, I'm not sure if I would re raise or just call it.

You can be cautious of the overset, but when you play limit poker and lose set over set, you are supposed to lose a lot.. so let's not get passive too early in the hand and cost us big when were up against two pair. Lets also remember that the game is aggressive, so we're going to expect drawing hands to continue raising past the point where they are getting bet odds..
  • PREFLOP: coldcall is fine

FLOP: lead/3bet line is likely best

...get to an interesting street please.
  • I'm sure there's an interesting part of this hand in the future...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • I think the spot to fear the top set is if you are three-bet or capped on the turn (assuming the flush card doesn't come)
  • You don't fear set over set in limit poker, especially online against random players, and rarely live unless you are playing against someone you know very well...this ain't Omaha folks
  • PokerKai wrote:
    ...get to an interesting street please.
    GTA Poker wrote:
    I'm sure there's an interesting part of this hand in the future...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow. You guys must hate poker.
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    but cautious on higher trips being in mxix's hand.

I lose the max here if he's holding QQ. Set over set is so rare that you cannot afford to maximize your profit when you hit your own set. This is limit poker.
  • ** Dealing Turn ** [ Th ]
    nbredcc checks.
    Hork42 bets [$10].
    mxixkxe calls [$10].
    nbredcc raises [$20].
    Hork42 calls [$10].
    mxixkxe calls [$10].

Alert! flush card comes and nbredcc wakes up. Just call the raise?
  • Yeah, I think it's a call. He checkraised the field after they called one bet and no one ever folds for two. He's got a made hand.

I think you are behind and I think you are drawing to a lock, so I dont see any value in potentially facing the rest of your opponents with 2 more..
  • Yes, calll...you want to keep everyone else in even though someone almost certainly has the flush, you have to play as if you are the only one drawing to a huge hand
  • ** Dealing River ** [ Tc ]
    nbredcc bets [$10].
    Hork42 raises [$20].
    mxixkxe folds.
    nbredcc calls [$10].

Raise? or go for an overcall?
  • Raise. When it's 3 way to the river, the overcall is worth one bet, but you can get that bet + more from the betting villian.

Stick 4 or 5 players on the river and I'd prefer the overcalls rather facing them with two cold..
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Raise. When it's 3 way to the river, the overcall is worth one bet, but you can get that bet + more from the betting villian.

Stick 4 or 5 players on the river and I'd prefer the overcalls rather facing them with two cold..

I agree.

Hork42 shows [ 8s, 8d ] a full house, Eights full of tens.
    nbredcc doesn't show [ Kh, Ah ] a flush, ace high.
    Hork42 wins $217 from the main pot with a full house, Eights full of tens.