Am I the idiot?

No hand history, but here's how I remember it:

I was in a $5+50 NLHE MTT on Hollywood Poker.

Blinds at 25-50 and UTG (~1200) makes it 100 to go. Two MP players call and I call from the cutoff with Js9s. SB folds and BB calls.

Flop comes 9h9d9c.

UTG immediately goes all in for 1100 or so. Everybody folds to me, who naturally calls (villian's got me covered by a hair), and I double up. Villian shows something like AJo.

I say something commiserative and villian calls me an idiot for calling the pre-flop raise.

My question: Am I an idiot?

J9s seems like a good hand in late position with so much money in the pot. Villian was new to the table but I assumed with a min raise from early position that she was trying to thin the field with marginal cards. What's my starting range of hands in this position?

Comments

• 2X BB? I call with J9... villain is sad because he made bad play and was punished... silly villain.

Mark
  • If there were no limpers, I would fold, but with the others in there I call every time. I'd say villian is the idiot for pushing without a boat.
  • Only for asking.
  • 3 players and only 2x the BB, I would call to see a flop

and they were sooooooooted!
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Only for asking.

ok, ok. Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

I tend to be overly conservative in NLHE, assuming that everybody who bets has me beat, etc.

This has not helped me much in tournament play. I tend to make it fairly deep into tournaments, but rarely make the money. I usually wind up playing with lower than average stacks for most of the tournament, with the occasional double-up.

I recognize this as a weakness and have been reading (Harrington) and playing a fair number of micro-buy-in tournaments like the one described.

I'm looking for validation that the pre-flop call was not too loose. I was betting ~8% of my stack on speculation after all.