call or fold - first hand of SNG

Just wondering what other people would have done here, or if they would have played it differently.  I will reveal how I played it after people respond...

Game #1152371327 (Level I, Game #1) - 5/10 No Limit Texas Hold'em - 2005/12/14-11:23:50.5 (CST) Table "Ambergris Caye" ($10 tournament) -- Seat 10 is the button Seat  1: paul3221  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  2: royr777  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  3: gfire07  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  4: dutchmstr  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  5: squirrel624  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  6: RPMcMurphy  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  7: motoxkx  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  8: KingDizzle  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat  9: LedBetter99  (1,000.00 in chips) Seat 10: kruk400  (1,000.00 in chips)
paul3221: Post Small Blind (5)
royr777 : Post Big Blind (10)
Dealt to paul3221 [ Kh ]
Dealt to paul3221 [ Kc ]
gfire07 : Fold
dutchmstr: Fold
squirrel624: Call (10)
RPMcMurphy: Fold
motoxkx : Fold
KingDizzle: Fold
LedBetter99: Fold
kruk400 : Fold
paul3221: Raise (30)
royr777 : Call (25)
squirrel624: Call (25)
*** FLOP *** : [ Td 3d 7d ]
paul3221: Bet (80)
royr777 : Raise (965)
squirrel624: Fold
paul3221: ?? ???

Comments

• I think easy fold..

It sucks to waste KK, but hey, someone's beat you here either with a set, two pair or a flush? You're out of this hand

Make the $100 you've spent back later, obviously this royr guy is either advertising that he's nuts... or really is.

Mark
  • I think this is an easy fold as well. His bet seems out of place tho...imo it's too large, he may not have the flush or he may indeed have it and just came all over himself and went all-in. Either way I am not putting my tournament on the line with this first hand.
    Incidentally I would dump AA in this position too.....now...if one of those Aces was the Ad would you call?
  • If one was Ad?

Tricky.. I would probably lay it down still, but there's a lot of chances there, worst case scenario he has 2 diamonds, that means there's still 7 out there, and there's always that amazing runner runner full house... MARIO!

Mark
  • One way or another, that guy has played this hand incredibly poorly. Wait for a better chance to nail him. You don't have much invested here.
  • It sucks but it is an easy fold.
  • Easy fold.

If it was the AA with a D or KK with a d, I still think I could fold it and hope to get my chips in a much better spot.

you have 890 chips left and blinds of 5/10.
  • With a diamond I would call, without you're probably better off folding though you're probably ahead or a coinflip here a large % of the time.
  • Well, it seems the decision is unanimous. I did fold, even though I doubted he had me beat. It turns out he was a maniac and I took him out about 15 hands later, after someone else had taken him down to about 1/2 of the starting stack. Ended up placing 2nd.
  • No way you're beat here.
    I'd make the call assuming a coinflip, just b/c it's early in the tourny and the 2x up is nice. He could be on something stupid like AT.
  • It turns out he was a maniac
    Naturally, I'm shocked to learn this. It must have felt satisfying to take him out.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered making a play like this. If you have a monster hand and you're unlikey to make much more off it, is there any advantage to making a huge overbet? Sometimes you get called if they think you are bluffing, then people are reluctant to call your big bets in the future OR when you don't get called, everyone thinks you are a maniac and can't wait for your next big bet when they have anything reasonable at all. Two different results depending on the action. Any thoughts?
  • Sure, if the buyin doesn't mean much to you it might be worth your time to double up or bust out early. If you play better with a big stack, then it might be worth doing this and just buying into another SNG if it fails.

There IS a chance, especially at this level ($10) that he just has top pair and REALLY wants to protect it against the one card flush draw.
  • No way you're beat here.

I agree (usually). But if he's on a semi bluff with the Ad then we're not that big of a favourite. I think I likely call if I have the Kd though (I know, it shouldn't matter if I put the guy on Adx specifically, then the draw is no good anyways but helps us a little if he's on a worse one card diamond draw, or if he has something like 2 pair). FWIW, I think this is an easy call with AA with the Ad.
  • If one of my Kings is a  :d:, I think I call for sure.  As it is, even if he doesn't have the flush now, any :d: will beat me if another diamond comes.

Interesting discussion though.  Good to see a couple people taking the other perspective.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    Sure, if the buyin doesn't mean much to you it might be worth your time to double up or bust out early.
    I thought about this line of thinking. Off topic I know. I try to avoid falling into this trap. If the buyin does mean a lot to you, you should be playing at lower stakes. Playing with scared money means you probably aren't making optimal poker decisions. A possible exception to this might be the case where you've won a satellite to the tourney but...

I do agree with the doubling up or busting out early thinking, though.
  • Paul3221 wrote:
    Well, it seems the decision is unanimous.  I did fold, even though I doubted he had me beat.  It turns out he was a maniac and I took him out about 15 hands later, after someone else had taken him down to about 1/2 of the starting stack.  Ended up placing 2nd.

Well done!

Incidentally I call with a :d: as well....maybe I'm too tight but first hand of the tourney I do not want to be in a coin flip situation with anyone....sure you can double up but the sting of going out first hand would put me in a bad mental place....I don't like being in that place, I don't play well when I'm there! I prefer to get my chips in at a better time.
    That said I proceeded to get my chips in at the Lucky Lou freeroll about 5 hands in when I knew I was beat so wtf do I know....and I did go to my bad place that night...I have a brand new monitor and stitches on my hand to prove it!
  • Big E wrote:
    That said I proceeded to get my chips in at the Lucky Lou freeroll about 5 hands in when I knew I was beat so wtf do I know....and I did go to my bad place that night...I have a brand new monitor and stitches on my hand to prove it!
    Over a free roll? Wow! I recommend Anger Management. The movie. :D
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Over a free roll? Wow! I recommend Anger Management. The movie.  :D

Well, it was a $500 freeroll....and I hate losing, besides the monitor deserved it, the mouse was just an innocent bystander.

p.s. I'm kidding...my anger isn't that bad........anymore :)
    I was upset with myself for making such a stupid call but that is how one learns I guess.
  • I call. I want his chips, I don't want anyone else to get them. He IS on a draw, You are favorite. You know hes a maniac......even though its the first hand.
  • Big E wrote:
    [....and I did go to my bad place that night...I have a brand new monitor and stitches on my hand to prove it!

Dude, I am impressed!  I've smoked mine a few times, and that glass is tough.  It's got a few ring scratches, but that's it.  You must be a big kid... ;-)  Unless of course it las an LCD monitor.  I'd imagine their pretty easy... ;-)
  • In my book, anyone who makes a $965 bet into a $185 is a poor player. This is especially true on the first hand - where there are at least 3-4 fishies at the table.

I think I would call with KK there every time. There's a slight chance that you are losing. There's a chance that you may lose on the turn or river to a flush. However, I think that most of the time the KK is good at the moment. If this is not the case, there's another SNG starting in just a minute.
  • Without one of your kings being a diamond I would fold - particularly that early.

Too much against you to make a call that early in an SNG.

It is possible he has two low diamonds and is trying to push ppl out in fear of a 4th diamond.

Maybe he is on a stone cold bluff - if so let him risk it all for $185. That is only one bet in 20 mins.

Also - his stone cold bluff could contain a 2d which will beat those great kings if that fourth diamond falls - which happens from time to time online:)
  • OOPPS
    I didnt realize there was three diamonds.
    I fold