Using an out of turn bet to your advantage - unethical?

Recent Brantford trip (5-10), and a hand I screwed up a bit no less (I think I need to adjust to give B&M players less respect than I would to a typical online game).

Background: I've had crap for most of the night, unplayable big-small offsuit hands. I probably haven't been a pot besides the blinds for a few orbits.

MP I would characterize as LA-P. I sort of LAG wannabe. He will make hopeless donk bluff bets in big pots. He's been donating to the entire table. LP seems fairly solid, but overvalues hands a bit, and has a fairly wide preflop raising range.

I have KK in the SB (or maybe the BB).

Preflop: 1 limper to MP who limps, LP raises, I 3-bet, first limper folds, MP cold calls 2, LP caps, myself and MP calls.

Flop: 983 rainbow.

I bet, MP calls, LP raises, I 3 bet, MP calls 2, LP caps. I'm wondering if I'm up against AA for the LP to cap here.

Turn: T (can't remember suit)

I check (mistake, should have probably bet/called if LP raised), MP checks, LP checks. I'm pretty certain I'm ahead, LP might have an overplayed AK/AQ type hand.

River: K

While I'm debating what to do, MP has already thrown 10 into the pot. LP is pissed, asking the dealer what my action was since it's on me. Knowing MP's bet is binding, I check. LP calls, I then raise and both fold. You guys have any problem with this?

Comments

• If he's going to be impatient enough to throw out that $10, then you better take it off him AND MORE. I find nothing wrong with this play at the B&M, home game wouuld be another story.

stp
  • I agree with the rest. It doesn't happen very often but when it does I would definitely take advantage.

What day was this? On Saturday I played on table #6 from 11:30am til the Leafs game ended. We had one guy who tells you exactly what he was thinking after each hand. He chases straights and flushes all day. Early in the day he had almost 700 in chips and by the time I left he had about 200 left. He is a nice guy and he basically plays exactly the opposite of how the game is taught.
  • taking the pot and running when no one is looking is unethical, use everything you can to your advantage, nice play!
  • Agreed. You took advantage of something you observed at the table. That's all.
  • What day was this?

It was Friday night. Overall I'd say the table was tighter than I've typically seen for 5-10, but not particularly aggressive. Game got juicy once a guy waiting on a 10-20 game sat down and proceeded to LAG it up (which basically encouraged some of the others at the table to emulate his play). Nothing like being stuck maybe 2 bills and getting most of it back in one hand when UTG LAG is raising blind and MP is 3 betting blind and you find AKs in LP to cap with (getting a 4 bet cold-caller to boot). :)
  • Even friends become enemies at the poker table - and strangers - well why not punish them for bad plays?
  • Perfectly fine. I did it at a game in Rama in November.
  • I see nothing wrong, with what you did there