Omaha Hi-Lo SNG

I played in a limit SNG yesterday and I ran across what I thought was a maniac player. He raised every chance he got. And I do mean every hand every time action went to him.

AS the tourny went on, I thought he may be a bot but people kept calling or re-raising and then losing to him or splitting via hi-lo or whatever. Eventualyl he eliminated all but myself and another guy who went on post and fold and he had a monster chip lead.

He then told me that he had a theory that HI-LO was just bingo and if he played every single hand and raised every single time he had the chance he would win money. I eventually beat him but it began to question my faith in HI-LO Omaha. Especially when the guy who was on post and fold ended up splitting or winning pots against me 10 times in a row when he was down to his last 100 chips.

Thoughts? I know Mark is a big Omaha fan.

Comments

• He then told me that he had a theory that HI-LO was just bingo and if he played every single hand and raised every single time he had the chance he would win money.

I know people that say this about Hold 'Em too.. you believe them? No? Good.

Same deal.. the only thing is with Hi/Lo you get money back more often through chopping the pot. This guy probably thinks he's doing well any time that money is coming back, and probably not even noticing if he 1/4's a pot by hitting his A2 low with someone else also.

My advice.. Play this guy as MUCH as possible. Be patient and disciplined... and you'll take his money.

From the sounds of it, he reminds me of that Andrew guy from Sunday at Lou's tournament... calling all-ins with 6-9o and J-5... he'd get lucky, hit two pair and get a massive lead... he does it twice in a row, and suddenly he's scary looking. The problem is, people kept trying to out-play him. You can't outplay someone who calls with everything, you just get a great hand, and get all your money in.

Mark
  • And that's what I did. It was strange to see everyone else fall to him.

The guy got lucky so many times it was scary.
  • I play lots of PLO8 sngs and it's not bingo, but when the blinds get up and it is 4 handed you do need some luck to push through to the money.

I don't like limit sngs at all so I can't help you there...you should try some of the PLO8 sngs on stars, good fun.
  • :s: :d: :c: :h:

Limit O8b - maybe he thinks the "b" means "bingo" :D:D

I've been doing well the past 2 months at O8b on UB and PS following these guidelines-

O8b is a hand value driven game (all 4 hole cards working together - no danglers)
    Don't be aggressive until after you see (and hit) the flop - make your bets later on at the 2 bet level
    Only draw to the nuts
    PATIENCE

Sounds like the maniac was using a reverse strategy and needed to be punished for it - good job.
    I like to have the maniac win lots of money from everyone else and then give it to me.

These "bingo" players are who you want at your table - wait for your good hands and they will pay you off all night long.
  • That type of "maniac" play is not as bad in Omaha hi/lo as in holdem simply because starting hands (other then complete garbage like 9 4 4 4) are rarely dominated as they could be in Holdem. You just don't have the 3-1 or 4-1 preflop favorite positions.

I am not saying the way he played it is correct, but if this was a very low buy in sit and go then he may have just been fooling around and seeing how raw aggression worked out in Omaha hi/lo. I wouldn't read too much into a single players play in a single sit and go especially if it was at the $5 level or so.