Another Port Perry Tournament Report

Those croissants were revolting. I hope my whole day doesn't continue like this...

Rebuy right away.

Hand #1: (stack: T3000, blinds T25/T50)
I get QhQc UTG+1 and make it T250 to go, fully expecting callers. I get two to my immediate left, a guy who has played tournaments before, but didn't rebuy immediately and thus lost some respect from me. Other cold caller is a mid-high-stakes break-even player.

Flop: 9c7d6d I bet T500, both fold. Solid first hand of the day.
Hand #2: (stack: T3575, blinds T100/200)
EP minraises to T400. Folded to me in MP with As 9s, I call, one LP caller and BB calls.

Flop: 8s Jc 6s EP bets T1000, I consider making a move, but during the rebuy period it takes an axe to pry someone off their hand. I call, hoping for calls behind. No such luck.

Turn: (8s Jc 6s) Ts EP checks, I bet T1500, EP folds.
Hand #3: (stack T5475, blinds T100/200)
I have KsKd in MP, I open raise to T700, get two callers, both weak players.
Flop: Jd 7d 6d. I push immediately, get called by MP with Ad Td. Turn is Kh, but river doesn't fill me up and it's "REBUY!"
A few uneventful hands and I was at T4900 after the add-on at the first break. Very nice spread of food, but I can't eat seafood so I stuck with fruits and crackers/cheese.
Hand #4: (stack: T4900, blinds 200/400)
I have As Js UTG and raise it up to T1000. I get called by tight but passive player in MP, everyone else folds.

Flop: Jc Th 3c. I bet all in T3900 and get called by Ac 2c. No clubs come and I double up.
Hand #5: (stack: 9200, blinds T300/T600)
BJ, a pro fresh off the WSOP and taking the Nugget 40/80 for 5 grand raises all in for T1200. I have Kc Ks in SB and call. BB has already mucked his hand, thinking he's UTG. BJ flips Kd Jc.

Flop: 9s 7d 2h BJ shouts "8!" Turn: 8s BJ shouts "10!" River: Td.
Hand #6: (stack: T6900, blinds T400/T800)
I have tight image basically from not getting any cards for a level, and not playing a hand.

UTG limps for 800, I have AhKd UTG+1 and push all in (table oohs and aahs that i'm in a pot). I get called by LP short-stack, all fold. Short stack flips... AsKh. I ask dealer for some hearts, but she refuses. Chop.
Hand #7: (stack: T6000, blinds T400/T800)
UTG limps, cutoff raises the minimum. SB calls, I call in BB with Ac9c. UTG calls. All have me covered.

Flop: As Tc 7c. I push all in for T4400. UTG folds, cutoff calls with KcJc, SB calls with big stack and KsJd.

Turn: (As Tc 7c) 5s
River: (As Tc 7c 5s) 3s

I triple up.
Hand #8: 9 handed, 3 tables remaining (stack: T17500, blinds T500/T1000)
This hand ruined my tournament. A monster stack of about T45000 just sat down to my left. In his first hand, I had AsJs UTG+1 and raise it up to T3000. Monster stack on my left comes over the top for another T3000. I think this is a push or fold situation, and I lean towards fold. But I called.

Flop: Tc 7s 3d. I "look I am slowplaying my flopped set, but really just want free card" check, he checks behind.

Turn: 3c. I check, and he bets T5000. I fold.
Hand #9: 8 handed, 3 tables remaining (stack T9000, blinds T500/T1000)
Folded to me, I have Ad6h in cutoff-1. I push all in, everyone folds.
Hand #10: 8 handed, 3 tables remaining (stack T10500, blinds T500/T1000)
Folded to me, I have AsTd in MP. I raise it T2500 and BJ comes over the top all in. I think for a moment and fold.
Hand #11: 8 handed, 3 tables remaining (stack: (T8000, blinds T1000/T2000)
I am in BB with Ks7h. UTG limps (not necessary an indication of extreme strength with this player), button moves all in for T2500. I call T500 more, UTG calls.

Flop: 9s 7s 5h

I push immediately for T5500 with middle pair, overcard kicker, and backdoor second nut flush draw, UTG thinks and thinks, hems and haws, whines, stares at the felt. Stares at ceiling, felt, his crotch. Finally announces "fuck it, I call" and flips up 8s 8d. Turn and river are no help, and I'm out.

I am angry. So I go play 30/60 and walk out up about 20 bets in two hours. I should have busted out sooner.

Comments

• Hand #4: (stack: T4900, blinds 200/400)
    I have As Js UTG and raise it up to T1000.

I like limping in here if you have a reasonable expectiation that there will be no pre-flop raise, and folding otherwise.

Same thing in Hand #9.
    Hand #: 8 handed, 3 tables remaining (stack: (T8000, blinds T1000/T2000)
    I am in BB with Ks7h. UTG limps (not necessary an indication of extreme strength with this player), button moves all in for T2500. I call T500 more, UTG calls.

Flop: 9s 7s 5h

I push immediately for T5500 with middle pair, overcard kicker, and backdoor second nut flush draw, UTG thinks and thinks, hems and haws, whines, stares at the felt. Stares at ceiling, felt, his crotch. Finally announces "fuck it, I call" and flips up 8s 8d. Turn and river are no help, and I'm out.

Is this really *that* hard of a call for UTG?

Thanks for the report, well played.

ScottyZ
  • Is this really *that* hard of a call for UTG?

I didn't think so after the fact, but I don't generally limp for 1/3 of my stack with 88. All in or fold IMO.

When he limped I had him on suited big cards. I pushed to get heads up with the all-in, as I was short stacked and the prize structure is top-heavy. The longer he thought the more I realized I was beat. I pushed immediately without hesitation, hopefully representing at least a 9.
  • Nice report. I guess we didnt bump into each other that day, maybe in the next one.

Well played tournament!

Heres my 2 cents

Hand #8: 9 handed, 3 tables remaining (stack: T17500, blinds T500/T1000)
    This hand ruined my tournament. A monster stack of about T45000 just sat down to my left. In his first hand, I had AsJs UTG+1 and raise it up to T3000. Monster stack on my left comes over the top for another T3000. I think this is a push or fold situation, and I lean towards fold. But I called.

Flop: Tc 7s 3d. I "look I am slowplaying my flopped set, but really just want free card" check, he checks behind.

Turn: 3c. I check, and he bets T5000. I fold.

AJ suited or unsuited is a big trouble hand from early pos. Heres why- what do you do if you get raised or in your case re raised with it. Unless your up against a maniac your AJ is no good plus you are out of position.
    Stay out of pots in early pos with trouble hands(AJ A10 AQ KQ KJ K10 QJ)
    I would rather limp in early on a passive table with suited connectors or small pairs and muck the trouble hands.

Did you think about betting the flop or the turn to try and take this pot?
    Your opponent checked the flopped. What did that mean to you?
    If I thought he didnt have an over pair I would try to take this pot on the turn.