Staying Concentrated in a Long Tournament

Alright so heres the deal...
I won my way into the UB Stone Cold Nuts II tourney which is a $500+30 1 Mil guarunteed tournament.

The tournament isn't to be held until January 15th and there are already over 900 people signed up. As such, I expect there will likely be more than the 2000 players required to meet the 1 mil guaruntee, especially since UB has never been a site that liked to run guaruntees they werent fairly sure they wouldn't be stuck on.

So with likely 15 minute levels, I expect this tournament will run for quite a while.

Up until now, Ive never played a tourney that took longer than 5 hours to complete. The UB SNCII tourney should definitely run longer than this.

So how do you guys who regularly play in long one day tourneys, like the Stars 500k and 750k guarunteeds, deal with the long hours and manage to keep your concentration?

Comments

• I have also won a seat in a similar tournament. I finished in the top 15 to win a seat in the 1 Million freeroll for Paradise. I won the seat when playing two tournaments at the same time. The first was the Team Canuck one. It went for 2-3 hours and the freeroll was the second. It had 1400 players.

I found my mind not wandering with two going at the same time.

The Million tournament will be tougher. There will be around 4500 players with 30 min levels. I will need to concentrate better and not surf while playing.

Like Ryan said, anybody have any other suggestions?
  • I've been fortunate enough to have played in a few of the Stars and Party Sunday afternoon tourneys...always through winning my seat never paying full pop.

My advice comes with the caveat that while I've played in several, I've never finished higher than 52nd.

Rather than play a second table, I suggest taking copious notes on other players. This forces you to watch the action even when you're not in it. Even though you know most of these notes will never be read again, it does keep you in the game and you never know you just may run into one of these people deep in the tourney

Good Luck!!
  • Yeah you won't get bored and time will fly by...

Take lots of notes and limit all other distractions like MSN,TV, People in back ground...

Good Luck!!
  • Ritalin might help. I swear I'm ADD when playing online.

I would repeat whatever it is that you did to win your way in. Recreate that and you'll do just fine.
  • Avoid dilution.
  • I agree with others here. Pay attention to every hand, and make notes. Classify your opponents preflop play is most important imo, and looking for betting patterns/tendencies pre and postflop.