This is how you play a set...

How much do I rule? I clearly played this hand absolutely perfect on every street. Discuss...

FWIW, UTG is LPP, BB is LPP, UTG+1 is TA, CO is unknown.

Texas Hold'em $2-$4 (real money), hand #1,526,716,683
Table Durban, 28 Nov 2005 9:09 PM ET

Seat 1: ScoobD [ QC,QS ]
Seat 2: MacCommons
Seat 3: SalsaDancerx
Seat 4: MyTurn2Raze
Seat 5: ElPhoenix
Seat 6: AAloseragain
Seat 7: William14
Seat 8: whipdog40
Seat 9: lorrella
ANTES/BLINDS
ScoobD posts blind ($1), MacCommons posts blind ($2).

PRE-FLOP
SalsaDancerx calls $2, MyTurn2Raze bets $4, ElPhoenix folds, AAloseragain folds, William14 folds, whipdog40 bets $6, lorrella folds, ScoobD calls $5, MacCommons calls $4, SalsaDancerx calls $4, MyTurn2Raze calls $2.

FLOP [board cards 7S,QH,8C ]
ScoobD checks, MacCommons checks, SalsaDancerx checks, MyTurn2Raze checks, whipdog40 bets $2, ScoobD calls $2, MacCommons calls $2, SalsaDancerx calls $2, MyTurn2Raze calls $2.

TURN [board cards 7S,QH,8C,8S ]
ScoobD checks, MacCommons checks, SalsaDancerx checks, MyTurn2Raze checks, whipdog40 bets $4, ScoobD bets $8, MacCommons calls $8, SalsaDancerx folds, MyTurn2Raze folds, whipdog40 bets $8, ScoobD bets $8, MacCommons calls $8, whipdog40 calls $4.

RIVER [board cards 7S,QH,8C,8S,4C ]
ScoobD bets $4, MacCommons folds, whipdog40 bets $8, ScoobD bets $8, whipdog40 bets $8, ScoobD calls $4.

SHOWDOWN
whipdog40 shows [ KH,KD ]
ScoobD shows [ QC,QS ]
ScoobD wins $118.

SUMMARY
Dealer: lorrella
Pot: $120 | Rake: $2
ScoobD bets $40, collects $118, net $78
MacCommons loses $24
SalsaDancerx loses $8
MyTurn2Raze loses $8
ElPhoenix loses $0
AAloseragain loses $0
William14 loses $0

Comments

• I clearly played this hand absolutely perfect on every street.

Not even close.

Preflop: Cap it.

Flop: Bet out. The last thing you want is to check-raise someone, theres no point.

River: Hack the software so that it allows unlimited raises.
  • Not even close.

Thought I was reading 2+2 for a second.

I agree with capping preflop, and betting out on the flop. You bet out on the flop, and anyone with AQ, KK, AA is likely going to raise allowing you to 3 bet.
  • Not really perfect.

Preflop:cap

Turn : you check raised in a position that would limit the field with the (almost) nuts?? i don't get it.
  • Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought this was a very crappily played hand. Karma should have dictated that one of the limpers catch his gutshot on the turn to cost me a giant pot, due to utter stupidity.

Preflop: 99% of the time I'm capping here preflop. The rationale for just calling the 3 bets was I wanted to see what UTG + 1 would do. If he caps, I'm worried more so vs. a tight player having AA or KK (for some reason I'd been running into overpairs frequently at this table, so I think that was in the back of my mind), and can proceed cautiously. I don't know how many times I've found myself in auto-cap mode with hands like QQ or JJ OOP and then I'm forced to lead and get raised by the overpair. Still probably an easy cap given the loose limper UTG and the BB who was very loose.

Flop: The worst played street by far (although the turn is close). I should clearly lead here, hoping the raiser will raise (at the end) trapping people in between and then I can 3 bet. Huge pot equity and CO has already said he has a big hand, so he's not going away for 1 bet. For some reason I have the massive brain-fart that I will check-raise here (which is still better than the line I took, but not as good as leading). I realize I'm going to face the field to call 2 with a monster hand, and decide I don't want them out, so I smooth-call. Absolutely terrible, given that the pot is already quite large, and now I'm giving people with gutshots the right price to peel one. Stupid stupid stupid. The only way I could have played this street worse would be to fold.

Turn: Positionally nothing has changed. I should lead here hoping raiser will raise and I can 3 bet. The only difference now is that I don't fear any draws so there's no need to get rid of people. But like a donk, I check again, determined to slowplay my monster like some stupid newb. The guy bets, and I raise forcing the field to call 2 when I basically have a lock on the hand. Not to mention the turn CR is going to LOOK like someone who caught an 8 and could potentially scare out the overpair. Luckily I get a cold caller and the initial raiser is convinced I'm bluffing I guess and 3 bets. How lucky am I?

River: No fancy play here, the only decent played street.

A classic example of a hand where results don't correllate at all to how well the hand was played...