Bracing for the downturn...

OK, I've seen numerous threads about what to do when the cards have turned sour, you constantly seem to be on tilt, and basically nothing is going your way, but little discussion of the complete opposite variance run.

Basically, I've been running extremely hot the last 2-3 months in 2-4. Crushing the game, but all the while having the gnawing feeling that the inevitable apocalypse is coming. Should I even be worrying about it, or just enjoying the good run while it lasts, continuing to play solid? I figure the next "test" will to weather the impending storm, trying not to amplify the downturn through tilt-induced stupidity...

Comments

• Hmmm.... call me crazy, but I think you should continue to play a solid game.
  • Pfft.. who ever wins playing solid anyway?
    Crushing the game, but all the while having the gnawing feeling that the inevitable apocalypse is coming.

Stop raising T7o?

The only REAL concern is if you've NEVER been through the rough period. It's amazing how the simplest decisions can become questioned when you are mired in your -200BB swing.
  • The only REAL concern is if you've NEVER been through the rough period.

-200BB scares me a bit. I don't think I've hit THAT bad of a run yet. I've probably had mini-bad runs down maybe 100-150 BB before though. I guess the incredible upswing I'm currently on just reminds me of the significance variance factor and how things can easily go bad. I think most people assume when they're on an upswing it's because they're playing great and when they're losing it's because they're unlucky. I'm just trying to keep things in perspective and not go insane when variance swings the other way. For now let the good times roll! :)
  • Scooby- congrats on a good run.

If you are concerned that you are only getting lucky etc...check your stats/Poker Tracker etc to see where your money is coming from during this run. If you find you made all your money hitting your 2 outers then yes...get ready for a severe whacking in the near future.

If things don't look out of whack...keep playing good poker and looking to plug the leaks that you do find.
  • If you are concerned that you are only getting lucky etc...check your stats/Poker Tracker etc to see where your money is coming from during this run.

Damn you Wolf. I looked at PT and my stats scare me even MORE. As I'm feeling charitable lately I open it up to the forum to guess what my current win streak with AA is (playing primarily 2-4 between Party and PR). Closest guess I'll transfer $5 through Stars or neteller to the winner (hey, I'm still a LL grinder unlike some members here). Or maybe since the streak is still in effect I'll open it up to how long until it's broken. In short this run definately makes me think "online poker is rigged". A statistical impossibility in my mind, more so than AA losing consecutively to underpair hands that hit their set.
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    If you are concerned that you are only getting lucky etc...check your stats/Poker Tracker etc to see where your money is coming from during this run.

As I'm feeling charitable lately I open it up to the forum to guess what my current win streak with AA is

95% ??
  • 95% ??

Sorry, should have clarified: "How many times CONSECUTIVELY (during this run) have I won with AA?" And yes, the streak is still alive...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    95% ??

Sorry, should have clarified: "How many times CONSECUTIVELY (during this run) have I won with AA?" And yes, the streak is still alive...

Ohhhhhh ok I get it. 2-3 months of play...... I'll say 80 times. I really have no idea, but hey I love guessing games.
  • ScoobyD wrote:

Damn you Wolf.

No...damn you Scooby...there's two FF's in Wolff. (mental note to all you other SOB's that leave it out...pet peeve #101)

I didn't suggest it to scare you, but, I find that its just as important to check through hands on a GREAT run, as it is on a -200BB swing. I get caught up in "i'm a young Brunson (weightwise included)" while i'm on a upswing and ignore that I've donk'd my way to most of the money.

There have been several things said about PT...but, I think it can play a big part in fine tuning your game and quieting some of the voices in your head.

Good luck SkuobieD, and I'll be sure to stay off your table during your hot run!!!!!
  • Good luck SkuobieD, and I'll be sure to stay off your table during your hot run!!!!!

LMAO.  Thanks Wolff.
  • Closest guess I'll transfer $5 through Stars

Actually, thats the biggest blind giveaway this forum has ever seen.

I'm gonna say like 12 times in a row.
  • 18x streak
  • OK, well now as the "bids" are coming in, I guess we better clarify it. Go with the "current streak" or what it will end at? I'm thinking the latter...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    OK, well now as the "bids" are coming in, I guess we better clarify it. Go with the "current streak" or what it will end at? I'm thinking the latter...

Whichever
  • Me and my big mouth. Should have known the VERY next hand it would all end. Incidently how bad is the river bet on this one, since I was pretty sure I knew what the other aggressor had? I cursed the card, and bet anyways knowing what was coming... :)

Texas Hold'em $2-$4 (real money), hand #1,526,867,391
    Table Durban, 28 Nov 2005 9:49 PM ET

Seat 1: ScoobD [ AD,AH ]
    Seat 2: MacCommons
    Seat 3: dqueen22
    Seat 4: MyTurn2Raze
    Seat 5: crazy 28
    Seat 6: AAloseragain
    Seat 7: William14
    Seat 8: bfma
    Seat 9: lorrella
    Seat 10: B8ender22
    ANTES/BLINDS
    crazy 28 posts blind ($1), AAloseragain posts blind ($2).

PRE-FLOP
    William14 bets $4, bfma folds, lorrella folds, B8ender22 folds, ScoobD bets $6, MacCommons calls $6, dqueen22 folds, MyTurn2Raze bets $8, crazy 28 folds, AAloseragain folds, William14 folds, ScoobD calls $2, MacCommons calls $2.

FLOP [board cards 6D,8C,6S ]
    ScoobD bets $2, MacCommons calls $2, MyTurn2Raze bets $4, ScoobD bets $4, MacCommons calls $4, MyTurn2Raze bets $4, ScoobD calls $2, MacCommons calls $2.

TURN [board cards 6D,8C,6S,QD ]
    ScoobD checks, MacCommons checks, MyTurn2Raze bets $4, ScoobD bets $8, MacCommons calls $4.10 and is all-in, MyTurn2Raze calls $4.

RIVER [board cards 6D,8C,6S,QD,KH ]
    ScoobD bets $4, MyTurn2Raze bets $8, ScoobD calls $4.

SHOWDOWN
    MyTurn2Raze shows [ KC,KS ]
    ScoobD mucks cards [ AD,AH ]
    MacCommons mucks cards
    MyTurn2Raze wins $89.10.

SUMMARY
    Dealer: MyTurn2Raze
    Pot: $91.10 | Rake: $2
    ScoobD loses $32
    MacCommons loses $20.10
    dqueen22 loses $0
    MyTurn2Raze bets $32, collects $89.10, net $57.10
    crazy 28 loses $1
    AAloseragain loses $2
    William14 loses $4
    bfma loses $0
    lorrella loses $0
    B8ender22 loses $0
  • Oh and btw, as far as the closest guess... DING DING DING DING (a la the Price is Right). Hork42 already nailed it. 18 times. PM me your Stars account ID or neteller if you prefer... Or I suppose I could probably find it if I looked hard enough (but I'm lazy).
  • I am happy to profit from your good fortunes. :)

Plaxus on stars.
  • Just thought I post this, Scooby you thoguht 18X was a statistical improbability? Well you got me curious about my own long streak, I just checked and foud that from Nov. 24 - Nov. 30 I won with AA 19 times in a row. Beat you by one :D
  • I thought 18x was pretty long, but congrats one one-upping me. Of course to determine how improbable those kind of runs are is pretty tough to figure, since table conditions will be a factor. Ie. winning 5 in a row in a no-foldem game might be tougher than winning 15 straight in a tight game.
  • AA's cracked?

Quit now while you're ahead...cash in the streak... :D
  • -200BB scares me a bit

there are 300 and 400 BB downswings waiting in the wings too.
    and those 30k hands of breakeven are annoying as hell too.