very strange SNG first hand

On Pacific, so I can't give you a nice hand history. First hand I have the button and I get KK. Strange enough. Blinds 10/20. Player in MP min-raises. Next player smooth calls. I raise to 140. Both players call.

Flop comes down 6h js 3c. MP checks. MP+1 bets 80. I min-raise. MP wakes up and goes all in for the remaining 640. MP+1 folds. I figure wtf, there are a lot of hands that would make that move, many of which beat me anyway... but I call. Turn comes 9h. River comes 8d.

Any guesses what he went all-in with?

Comments

• 8s 3s

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    8s 3s

ScottyZ
    Was that you Scotty? :D

No, that wasn't the hand.
  • zero wrote:
    Q10?
    Remember, this is Pacific...
  • lol.......10 7?
  • Since its Pacific I'll guess 5 7 o
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    zero wrote:
    Q10?

Right ok then. Lets say.............. 89?
  • zero wrote:
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    zero wrote:
    Q10?

Right ok then. Lets say.............. 89?
    You nailed it. He open min-raised, called a big re-raise pre-flop, then check-raised all-in on the flop after a re-raise when I'm pretty much pot committed. All of this needing runner runner to take it. Nice, aggressive play.

Please discuss. I'm still chuckling about it.
  • they must have been soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooted.
  • Just in case you were bluffing :D
  • He probably had you in the KK box and knew that he tons of outs. :D
  • Sometimes you run into a good player in these and he just outplays you.
  • It's all your fault. Never go all in when the other guy needs runner runner to beat you. I think Doyle wrote about that, or was it Harrington?
  • Yes, they were sooooooooooooooted.

Pre-flop I was about a 78% favourite.

On the flop I was about a 90% favourite.

On the turn I was about a 89% favourite.

On the river, I missed my 39 outer.

I'm trying to look at this through his gin-soaked eyes to understand what he was thinking.

Pre-flop he was first one in but with a min-raise, he won't chase many out in the first hand. Let's say he was building the pot in case he hit the flop hard. When I re-raised him, he may have been thinking I was making a play or maybe thought he could take it away from me on the flop. Of course, there was another player to worry about.

I assume he checked the flop, hoping someone would toss a few chips in that could add to his stack with a big raise. Facing a bet and a re-raise perhaps he figured the only way to win the hand (seeing as he had absolutely nothing :rage:) was to push.

Honestly, I thought there was a chance he could have AA or JJ (although I might have expected a re-raise in this case), maybe 66 fits the bill (I'm not sure about the min-raise and if someone would smooth call the re-raise with this) but potentially a lot of worse hands like AK, AJ, QQ. I accepted there was a risk I'd lose to a bigger hand since I already had more than 40% of my chips in the pot. God knows I've been beaten by bigger hands (two pair, a set) when I've had a overpair. Usually in these cases it's been 2 reasonably high cards (JQ, KQ, JT?), sometimes A-rag (A4s, A2s, etc) sometimes a mid-pair (66, 77, 88, 99). These are hands that might call a raise if they are already in the pot but aren't near strong enough to re-raise.

What are your thoughts on what hands are strong enough to call a re-raise and how strong they have to be on the flop to either push or call a raise all-in? From the perspective of the holder of an overpair, what sorts of hands to you expect to be facing when you get re-raised all-in?