do i play this any different?

> PokerStars Game #3159536299: Tournament #15632218, Hold'em No Limit -
> Level I (10/20) - 2005/11/25 - 23:20:09 (ET)
> Table '15632218 15' Seat #4 is the button
> Seat 1: djlash (1600 in chips)
> Seat 2: wrmoss2003 (1700 in chips)
> Seat 3: mah0526 (1100 in chips)
> Seat 4: cohohunter (1860 in chips)
> Seat 5: BROWN159 (1320 in chips)
> Seat 6: briarman (1500 in chips)
> Seat 7: Probstr (1500 in chips)
> Seat 8: AirShow32 (1500 in chips)
> Seat 9: munrus (1420 in chips)
> BROWN159: posts small blind 10
> briarman: posts big blind 20
> *** HOLE CARDS ***
> Dealt to briarman [Kd Ah]
> Probstr: folds
> AirShow32: folds
> munrus: folds
> djlash: calls 20
> wrmoss2003: folds
> mah0526: calls 20
> cohohunter: folds
> BROWN159: calls 10
> briarman: raises 60 to 80
> djlash: calls 60
> mah0526: calls 60
> BROWN159: calls 60
> *** FLOP *** [7s 5c 6h]
> BROWN159: checks
> briarman: bets 100
> djlash: folds
> mah0526: calls 100
> BROWN159: folds
> *** TURN *** [7s 5c 6h] [Kc]
> briarman: bets 140
> mah0526: calls 140
> *** RIVER *** [7s 5c 6h Kc] [3d]
> briarman: bets 120
> mah0526: raises 120 to 240
> briarman: calls 120
> *** SHOW DOWN ***
> mah0526: shows [4s 4d] (a straight, Three to Seven)
> briarman: mucks hand
> mah0526 collected 1280 from pot
> *** SUMMARY ***
> Total pot 1280 | Rake 0
> Board [7s 5c 6h Kc 3d]
> Seat 1: djlash folded on the Flop
> Seat 2: wrmoss2003 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 3: mah0526 showed [4s 4d] and won (1280) with a straight, Three to
> Seven
> Seat 4: cohohunter (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 5: BROWN159 (small blind) folded on the Flop
> Seat 6: briarman (big blind) mucked [Kd Ah]
> Seat 7: Probstr folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 8: AirShow32 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 9: munrus folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>
>
>

Comments

• Overall I liked how you played it. Preflop raise was good, and the bet out on the flop was big enough to limit the field and see where you were in the hand. After you get one caller to the turn, I think you have to be careful about the draw. Your bet was giving him a little worse than 4:1 pot odds, if you want to protect your hand against the straight i think you should bet at least 1/2 the pot to give him terrible odds to chase. On the river, I think I'd have to call the min raise like you did. I always like to think that he wouldn't have called a preflop raise with a 4 in his hand, but people always surprise you. But yea, for a minimum raise you have to call the river, if it was 2 or 3 times that then you should probably lay it down.
  • Hey, I've seen that hand before! :D

Ya, looking at that turn bet, it is a bit weak. Something more on the order of 250-300 would likely be better. No guarantee he wouldn't call it, though.

Tough to not call a min-raise on the river. You know he's probably milking you but it's too little to outweigh the chance you have the best hand or risk getting bluffed out of future pots.
  • I would raise more preflop, probably make it 120 to go. As you played it I would check the flop. The chances of you winning the pot right there are almost 0 on that board, and I fold to any decent sized bet. As you played it you need to put in a big bet on the turn to price him off his draw. 400-500 into the 520 pot sounds good. I like the value bet on the end though, a hand like a pair and busted draw will pay off. When he minraises I think folding might be best, though I would probably call. It's hard to imagine you're good very often though.
  • Preflop: I think the preflop raise is too small. It gives you no information on the others hands, and has little chance of thinning the field. I'd probably make it 100-120ish to go.

Flop: Ugly. Highly likely someone has at least caught a draw here. I don't mind the half pot continuation bet, but I think there's little chance of taking the pot down with this bet...

Turn: We hit TPTK and luckily the flop bet chased out 2 of the other players. I'd guess the other person has some sort of draw, and unless he's slowplaying a flopped straight you're probably good (unlikely someone who flopped 2 pair would be playing it slowly). Need to bet enough to price out the draws. I'd probably bet around 400-450ish.

River. Ugh. 4 card straight, although at least it hit the ragged end, which is probably less worrysome than if a 9 fell. I'd be inclined to check here and see what the other guy does. Being as you bet and raised the min, you know you're likely beat, but given the price you have to call.
  • You're in bad position, it's early in the tourney, why give away the fact that you have a potentially good hand preflop?

I think you check your option preflop unless you think by raising you can take the pot right there. (unlikely being that it's so early)

If you hit the flop with either card, check, with the intention of checkraising. If you don't hit the flop, check with the intention of folding.

Remember it's a tourney and the goal is to get all the chips while putting as few of yours in danger as possible when you have nothing but potential.
  • Remember it's a tourney and the goal is to get all the chips while putting as few of yours in danger as possible when you have nothing but potential.

Hero has a big hand. Please don't tell me AK is a "drawing hand". It's a raise for value preflop (but with the intention of thinning the field as well). That being said, Hero's raise is too small.
  • PF and Flop play is fine

Turn I'd pot it.. don't wanna see a river club or a 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 so you have to bet a little harder