SNG Hand for Analysis

Hey gang,

Lately I've been questioning my play of big hands. I'm not sure if I'm being overly or underly aggressive. I'm curious how other people would play this. In the example below I think the guy is clearly an idiot for calling, and just got lucky, but I'm wondering how others would play this hand?

Game #1112707713 (Level II, Game #7) - 10/20 No Limit Texas Hold'em - 2005/11/25-10:30:32.2 (CST)
Table "Arutanga" ($10 tournament) -- Seat 6 is the button
Seat 1: paul3221 (935.00 in chips)
Seat 2: bigcapp (785.00 in chips)
Seat 3: crazzyman (2,320.00 in chips)
Seat 4: luckyrun (2,625.00 in chips)
Seat 5: sonofpoker (1,165.00 in chips)
Seat 6: Sijav (585.00 in chips)
Seat 7: slickwright (140.00 in chips)
Seat 9: occy87 (925.00 in chips)
Seat 10: Alan33 (520.00 in chips)
slickwright: Post Small Blind (10)
occy87 : Post Big Blind (20)
Dealing...
Dealt to paul3221 [ Ks ]
Dealt to paul3221 [ Kc ]
Alan33 : Fold
paul3221: Raise (80)
bigcapp : Fold
crazzyman: Fold
luckyrun: Fold
sonofpoker: Call (80)
Sijav : Fold
slickwright: Fold
occy87 : Fold
*** FLOP *** : [ 3c 4s 4c ]
paul3221: Bet (100)
sonofpoker: Raise (200)
paul3221: Raise (755)
sonofpoker: Call (655)
*** TURN *** : [ 3c 4s 4c ] [ Jc ]
*** RIVER *** : [ 3c 4s 4c Jc ] [ 3s ]
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: 1,900 | Board: [ 3c 4s 4c Jc 3s ]
paul3221 lost 935 (showed hand) [ Ks Kc ] (two pair, kings and fours)
bigcapp didn't bet (folded)
crazzyman didn't bet (folded)
luckyrun didn't bet (folded)
sonofpoker bet 935, collected 1,900, net +965 (showed hand) [ Qc 9c ] (a flush, queen high)
Sijav didn't bet (folded)
slickwright lost 10 (folded)
occy87 lost 20 (folded)
Alan33 didn't bet (folded)

Comments

• I call the turn raise and fold to a big raise on the river. The three actually helps you out on the river.......it might make it a bit easier to lay down your KK and it might slow down your opponent who is holding the flush. Whenever I see a pp of AK AA KK early in a tourney this first thing I say to myself is "Im not going broke on this hand".

Wader
  • If the villian was eager enough to play Q9 sooted, there was nothing you could have done to get him out of that hand after the flop.

The cards simply didn't fall in your favour.
  • Whenever I see a pp of AK AA KK early in a tourney this first thing I say to myself is "Im not going broke on this hand".

Funny, because I usually think "Nice... I'm probably doubling or going broke with this hand..." In multiway pots I tend to slam on the brakes when a scary board comes though. Heads up on the other hand, with a big overpair, I don't mind getting into big pots with donkeys in the early stages of SNGs. Yes, sometimes they'll hit their straight or flush, but a lot of times you'll find yourself doubling getting called by small pairs and TPNK type hands that don't improve. Having doubled, you can then sit back, and look for opportunities to steal...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    Whenever I see a pp of AK AA KK early in a tourney this first thing I say to myself is "Im not going broke on this hand".

Funny, because I usually think "Nice... I'm probably doubling or going broke with this hand..."

A nice demonstration that the amount of the buy-in matters.

I think that both of these approaches are generally correct, but at different buy-in levels.

Against low-skilled oppoennts, you can often expect to double up with hands like AA early in a tournament. In a very deep-stacked scenario (e.g. round 1 of a SNG) against stronger players, a hand like AA becomes much more of a "win small, lose big" hand.

In one case, your opponents will often engage the Trunk Monkey Grip-o-Death on hands like one pair and a 4-flush. In the other, you're rarely going to get played with for a load of chips against someone who can't beat an overpair.

ScottyZ
  • ScoobyD wrote:

Funny, because I usually think "Nice... I'm probably doubling or going broke with this hand..." 

Don't get me wrong I'm licking my chops with this hand. But the key to these SNG I beleive is survival. The most lickely hand after the flop is the flush draw and possibly a weaker over pair. Many times I want to see the turn card, If it doesnt fill the flush then I can hammer it. Also I want to charge him enough so that he is making a bad call, I'm not just going to push them allin unless it is warranted by the pot size.

A chip and a chair.......thats all it takes. I've come back from some pretty bad beats with an extremely short stack.

While where at it I would like to add one more thing. Our hero raised preflop in early stages and in early position, and is called by one opponent. This is normal play but in the early stages of a tournement....WHATCH OUT. I love the villans call (I would do the exact same)......he has a marginal hand and hes looking to bust someone if he hits a favorable flop. I would much rather have someone raise into me preflop with KK.....at least then I can start to put them on a hand and play accordingly, but when you are smooth called preflop with small blinds the villan could have anything.
  • I would much rather have someone raise into me preflop with KK.....at least then I can start to put them on a hand and play accordingly, but when you are smooth called preflop with small blinds the villan could have anything.

I agree with you that it's almost impossible to put people on hands when the blinds are small in the early stages of a SNG. A lot of times I like a larger bet pf in EP with an overpair to both get more money in the pot and reduce the opponents implied odds of cold-calling. I find smallish raises are often called, and even worse, if the first person after you to act makes a loose call, you can likely expect a couple more to make a call now given the better pot odds. Now you find yourself OOP in a multiway pot vs unknown hands in a pot that has grown big enough to want to protect, which can get tricky. Not to mention, sometimes the super aggressives will see a bigger raise in EP as a "scared hand" like a middle or small pair or AK, AQ, and sometiimes they'll play back at you and reraise with hands like QQ-99, AK, AQ.
  • ScoobyD wrote:

I agree with you that it's almost impossible to put people on hands when the blinds are small in the early stages of a SNG.  A lot of times I like a larger bet pf in EP with an overpair to both get more money in the pot and reduce the opponents implied odds of cold-calling.  I find smallish raises are often called, and even worse, if the first person after you to act makes a loose call, you can likely expect a couple more to make a call now given the better pot odds.  Now you find yourself OOP in a multiway pot vs unknown hands in a pot that has grown big enough to want to protect, which can get tricky.  Not to mention, sometimes the super aggressives will see a bigger raise in EP as a "scared hand" like a middle or small pair or AK, AQ, and sometiimes they'll play back at you and reraise with hands like QQ-99, AK, AQ. 

Very good point and I also like this play. UTG limp scares me more than a 6xBB bet(looks like a small pair protection bet).