Online Tourney Hand

Blinds at 50/100

Hero at 2550, Villain at 2400

KJo - middle position, generally tight table, first one in the hand, raised to 300, folded around to BB who called.

Flop AK5 - villain checked, bet pot size (650), villain called time and eventually called. from what i gathered so far, villain most likely have weak ace. a couple of hands earlier in the tourney, he busted someone who tried to bluff him because he was playing "weak" with A6 in SB and flopped came Axx.

Turn J (completes the rainbow) - i got my 2 pair, with 1950 in the pot, and my read on my opponent, i bet 800. villain once again comtemplates for awhile and called.

push, bet, or check?

Comments

• will anyone have just gone all-in to maybe take down the pot? are there other plays you would've done?

You are ruining the purity of the results you'll hear because of the tone of your post. You make it sound like you lost.. so everyone will recommend pushing the turn. Try to structure your questions more objectively.
  • I would fold pre-flop.

Initiating a steal in poor stealing position with an easily dominated hand against a BB who has previously made an ultra-loose play for a lot of chips is a run-on sentence.

As the play went in the actual hand, moving all-in on the turn is easy, due to the specific play your opponent made earlier with the A6. Since you know your opponent will call a big bet that looks like a bluff with top pair, no kicker (since he had previously "busted a player" with this exact hand) you have every reason to believe that your all-in bet (which looks like a bluff) will be called by one pair on Aces.

Clearly you should not get into the habit of basing your poker plays on your opponent's behavior in exactly one previous hand. However, making a play that is consistent with this (limited) information which is also fundamentally sound on its own can be a strong tactic.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I would fold pre-flop.

Initiating a steal in poor stealing position with an easily dominated hand against a BB who has previously made an ultra-loose play for a lot of chips is a run-on sentence.

Normally I would've folded, but I forgot to put in a piece of information which I must apologize. I was virtually the button since 2 players behind me were sitting out. There were 2 more players to act before it goes around to the blinds
  • westside8 wrote:
    ScottyZ wrote:
    I would fold pre-flop.

Normally I would've folded, but I forgot to put in a piece of information which I must apologize. I was virtually the button since 2 players behind me were sitting out. There were 2 more players to act before it goes around to the blinds

Being (essentailly) on the button makes it a closer decision, but I would probably still go ahead and fold with this particular player in the BB. He appears to be both unpredictable and loose.

ScottyZ
  • will anyone have just gone all-in to maybe take down the pot?

Notice also that "taking down the pot" was not part of my thinking on the turn. I'd move all-in, fully expecting the opponent to call with the hand you have given him credit for.

While winning the pot outright would obviously be okay too, my motivation for moving all-in would be primarily value-based in this situation.

ScottyZ