Anyone here use dialup to play?

Just built a house out in the country and of course we don't have high speed internet out there. :'( Moving in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone plays online regularly with a dialup internet account.
Is there any lag with Pokerstars (you know, nothing happens and all of a sudden you are being told you have 15 seconds to act).

thanks
Al

Comments

• I do use dialup.

I find usually i am fine, BUT if you are doing something else also on the net you are in trouble.

Reading an article on the net while playing, you press a link and then suddenly your game pauses up because the web browser has taken all the bandwidth.

Generally i found UB to be the best on dialup, but pokerstars is quite good since they have a decent timer policy etc..., unless you are playing (fast) tables
  • Thanks Chugs. Doesn't sound great but at least I can still play. :-)
  • Noble is apparently brutal for dialup users.
  • Dialup. I'll regularly play 4 tables, sometimes from 2-4 different sites. Pokerroom, absolute, tiger, party etc. Sometimes it freezes up on me but 98% of the time I'm ok. Lol I've folded pocket Aces now because the room folded me when I got timed out. Pokerroom is probably the biggest problem because if the net freezes up on you you don't just get marked away, it will actually kick right off the table. PITA!
  • I agree with moose, tried dail up while visiting the folks - had a lot of problems with pokerroom... :(
  • I'm dial-up on Stars and have had virtually zero problems in about 500 hours of play. One or two isolated instances where something was wcrewy tih the connection due to some problem occuring at the time. general play is not a problem, even when I surf and play. A slight (couple seconds) lag at times but nothing that interferes. The worst thing that happens is if your annoying "Aunt-in-law" sends you a huge email with attachments of easter-bunny kid pictures of people you don't know and you have to suffer through a slight lag for 20 minutes.
    I even used a 36K modem on my 7 year old machine for the first 300 hours. It was a bit worse but when just playing poker worked fine.
  • I've used dial up on many occasions when high speed went down and never had a problem. I find that Pokerstars, Party Poker and Royal Vegas Poker work good with dial up. It obvously slows down if you decide to surf the net or check email, but for the most part it works just fine.

Red
  • Great, thanks for the replies guys. Now to dust off that old modem sitting in a box somewhere. Moving to the land of "tippy turtle" internet within 3 weeks.
  • Man.....when I started typing this there where no replies.......&$#%*% dialup.
  • Most sites dail up works fine on,but you do hit the odd one and oh boy nothing but problems on them.
  • They still sell dialup? :P You might want to look into satelite internet or something hehe
  • sinc wrote:
    They still sell dialup? :P You might want to look into satelite internet or something hehe

Hey Sinc, ya I thought about that but the price in this area is prohibitive. Also, the performance reviews have been less then stellar.