Stalling before a fold

Do you beleive there is a pyschological advantage to stalling before a fold?
Take the blinds for instance - I see people do it all the time, they go into thier timebanks like they are comntemplating a call/raise, and then they muck. Do you think this makes people less likely to try to steal from them again?

Interested to hear some thoughts.

edit: i'm referring mostly to online MTTs

Comments

• I think a lot of people do this when the money is close. By waiiting they figure maybe that 1 2 or 5? people will go out so they cash when short chipped. If there is someone at the table that I know this annoys I will sometimes do it too. All part of a rounded online strategy.
  • I guess it's a cheap way to try to convey the message "Stay the @#$% off my blinds" without committing any chips. Of course if the person isn't paying attention, he might just think your connection sucks, or that you went to take a leak.
  • I do this sometimes especially when I'm multitabling I go play a hand on another table before i fold, I'm really not sure it makes a diiference. I guess it can at least be used to get the point accross that you know what they're doing, but some might perceive it as weakness since you didn't have the guts to go over the top of their 9 high even after thinking for a minute. It may be a good idea to get into the habit of taking some time so that when you have a legitimate decision about whether to put a move on a steal attempt they don't have a "he had to think about it" tell on you.
  • I think a lot of people do this when the money is close. By waiiting they figure maybe that 1 2 or 5? people will go out so they cash when short chipped.

I don't play stars..is this a stars thing?
    All the other places I've played go hand for hand near the money...
    ??
  • Depends where the money is and which site. One of the sites doesn't start hand for hand until very close to the cut off point. ie paying 30 start hand for hand at 33. If 35 are left stalling can work for you. Other sites go hand for hand a lot sooner than that. I don't know about stars because I've never played there
  • Stars start hand to hand when its the last person before money from what I remember.
  • westside8 wrote:
    Stars start hand to hand when its the last person before money from what I remember.

Same with Paradise, however, if you are shortstacked and there are 2-20 spots till the money, it is a cheap away to drag out time and hopefully hang on to place in the money.

It is annoying when people stall in a cash game. But whatever, I'll wait a few seconds to take peoples money!!

One nice bonus, if you have a slow player at your table, it means theres more time to check out the new posts at pokerforum.ca!!

JohnnieH