OK, this is a dumb post...

I don't hate the way I played this, I don't think any sane person can think about laying this down without some sort of insane read, but at the same time, I felt extremely strongly I was up against the hand that I feared. The only part of the situation that made this potentially slightly interesting is the chip positions. I'm chip leader at this point in a 45 person SNG, and villian is also well above average stack, probably somewhere in top 5 with maybe 30-some people remaining. He recently got moved to the table, so not much of a read on him (but the same goes both ways). I've done nothing out of line lately. Given that the stacks are fairly deep, and I'm under no pressure (and same goes for the villian) to play a monster pot vs another big stack, does this weigh anywhere in how this hand is played? Ie. is there an escape route anywhere, given that I feel I don't need a massive confrontation, and should be able to build my stack by picking on the shorter and average stacks?

The hand in question...and yes, I know we've seen a million of these so flame away...

POKERSTARS GAME #3114865335: TOURNAMENT #15399373, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL VII (100/200) - 2005/11/20 - 22:59:55 (ET)
Table '15399373 2' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: deadmoney_18 (5288 in chips)
Seat 2: Kevin_CA (6403 in chips)
Seat 3: SuperDeer (4860 in chips)
Seat 4: papasan101 (2380 in chips)
Seat 6: scottytexas (8580 in chips)
Seat 8: ScoobyD (11929 in chips)
deadmoney_18: posts the ante 25
Kevin_CA: posts the ante 25
SuperDeer: posts the ante 25
papasan101: posts the ante 25
scottytexas: posts the ante 25
ScoobyD: posts the ante 25
SuperDeer: posts small blind 100
papasan101: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ScoobyD [Kh Kc]
scottytexas: raises 200 to 400
ScoobyD: raises 800 to 1200
deadmoney_18: folds
Kevin_CA: folds
SuperDeer: folds
papasan101: folds
scottytexas: raises 800 to 2000
ScoobyD: calls 800
*** FLOP *** [Qh 6c 5h]
scottytexas: checks
ScoobyD: bets 2000
scottytexas: raises 2000 to 4000
ScoobyD: calls 2000
*** TURN *** [Qh 6c 5h] [2h]
scottytexas: bets 2555 and is all-in
ScoobyD: calls 2555
*** RIVER *** [Qh 6c 5h 2h] [Jd]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
scottytexas: shows [Ad Ah] (a pair of Aces)
ScoobyD: shows [Kh Kc] (a pair of Kings)
scottytexas collected 17560 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 17560 | Rake 0
Board [Qh 6c 5h 2h Jd]
Seat 1: deadmoney_18 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Kevin_CA (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: SuperDeer (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: papasan101 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: scottytexas showed [Ad Ah] and won (17560) with a pair of Aces
Seat 8: ScoobyD showed [Kh Kc] and lost with a pair of Kings

Comments

• Ahhh KK vs AA. What can you do? However, you must of had some kind of suspicion after the minimum raise preflop and then the reraise. Then the flop check raise and last but not least the all-in on the turn? What else could you put him on here. I don't know what stakes you were playing but he played this like a typical greedy "I want to be tricky" micro limit S&G player holding AA

One more thing. Would be more interesting had you ended the post at
    scottytexas: bets 2555 and is all-in
  • Yes doubtful he goes for the reraise preflop (he is not isolating - it's already heads up) with AQ so on the flop you are either way behind against pocket QQ or pocket AA or he has also picked up a flush draw. It would take some kind of maniac to raise you again on the flop with anything else. Gotta lay this down by the turn unless you think he is now bluffing a flush.
  • Gotta lay this down by the turn unless you think he is now bluffing a flush.

Ya, except I thought my 2nd nut flush draw might actually have some value here (unless I'm indeed up against the Ah). My whole line of thinking this hand just struck me as particularly odd, since the preflop min UTG raise - min rereraise combo just SCREAMED AA to me at that point. Going into the flop I kept thinking I want to see a K for the set, or an A to let me get away from this hand (not typically my thoughts when holding KK). Somehow I ignored my preflop read when checked to and bet anyways and then called the flop CR. The heart on the turn I thought might have actually given me some outs, and given around 6:1 odds, I thought I had to call there. I think if I check behind on the flop, I can potentially get away from the hand without doubling the other guy through, but hindsight is 20/20. FWIW, I managed to fight back, get lucky the odd time, and win the SNG anyways (another example of not to give up just because you run into a big loss in a tourney since you're always still in it).
  • People play AA so bad.... Seriously I think I just check behind on the flop and call him down putting on my best "I'm weak" act so he doesn't risk betting too much and losing me. One day I will fold to this BS. Until then I just have to live with the times I flop a set and bust these guys.
  • People play AA so bad....

I thought the same thing, but then looked back and realized he got all my chips ANYWAYS, even though I knew what he likely had. So maybe I'm the sucker...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    People play AA so bad....

I thought the same thing, but then looked back and realized he got all my chips ANYWAYS, even though I knew what he likely had. So maybe I'm the sucker...

Maybe.. but in the long run there will be times that he doesn't.. and thats his leak.