SNG situation

Given the size of the stacks (except realstar's) and the blinds, it was an in-the-money push fest.  Call or fold?

PokerStars Game #3124711934: Tournament #15450297, Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2005/11/22 - 00:54:32 (ET)
Table '15450297 1' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 2: all aces (1865 in chips)
Seat 7: realstar_ger (9575 in chips)
Seat 9: Gamsoft (2060 in chips)
all aces: posts the ante 50
realstar_ger: posts the ante 50
Gamsoft: posts the ante 50
Gamsoft: posts small blind 300
all aces: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to all aces [8c Ac]
realstar_ger: raises 1200 to 1800 (BIG stack raises our short stacks)
Gamsoft: raises 210 to 2010 and is all-in (other shortstack re-raises a negligible amount)
all aces: ?

Comments

• Get those chips in there.

You're getting about the right odds to call with the "Ranking of Poker Hands" card and a box top from Cracker Jacks in the hole.

Okay, seriously. It's more complicated than that of course.

I think a number of factors are at work here that call for a call. It's a tough decision though. I wouldn't want to defend any of the following points in poker court.

1. You have a decent hand. Heck, it wouldn't even be out of this world if it's the best hand 3-handed against a bully raise and a desparation call.

2. The payout structure is (if it's a single table SNG) 50-30-20. Having locked up the 20% share, it may worth making a reasonable go at tripling up and having a fair shot at 1st, rather than sneaking up into 2nd.

3. Monkey man says: Blinds too big. Soon blind off. Call and give me a banana.

4. IT'S COOL TO DO!

ScottyZ
  • Strictly from a chip EV standpoint I think it's a call given you're getting better than like 3:1 on your call.  The big stack could be raising any 2 here, and the short stack could realize this and try to isolate.  Since the payout jump is much bigger for 2nd to 1st than 3rd to 2nd, I think you likely want to give yourself the best chance at moving higher in the payout structure. If you fold, you basically have to hope the big stack busts the 2nd guy, or you're severely crippled vs. both.  Given that big stack could have a random hand, I would doubt he's favored over the 2nd chip stack, but your hand might well be stronger than both.
  • Ugh I dunno about this.  The big stack should know he's getting called here almost every time so he should have some sort of hand and the SB should at least be able to beat some sort of hand.  I think I want to fold and let them fight it out but I suspect calling is right given the pot odds.  Some kind of read might help to know how bad their hands can be here but the times you triple up are worth a lot of $$.  
  • You have more chips going into the all-in fest than the SB, so push it. If you guys both bust you get 2nd place money.

You desperately need chips if you want to win and you are getting odds for your money.

Interesting. I thought it was an autofold before I thought about it a bit.

If I had to guess, I'd say you are up against a King from he chip leader and a small pocket against the SB in the worst case.
  • You have more chips going into the all-in fest than the SB, so push it. If you guys both bust you get 2nd place money.

Am I on crack or isn't AA the short stack?
  • Am I on crack or isn't AA the short stack?

Nope, just me. You are correct. Meh, push it anyway :-)
  • Havind played realstr I would push
  • I was afraid you'd all think that.  Thanks... I will know for next time.

Here's how it turned out.

PokerStars Game #3124711934: Tournament #15450297, Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2005/11/22 - 00:54:32 (ET)
    Table '15450297 1' Seat #7 is the button
    Seat 2: all aces (1865 in chips)
    Seat 7: realstar_ger (9575 in chips)
    Seat 9: Gamsoft (2060 in chips)
    all aces: posts the ante 50
    realstar_ger: posts the ante 50
    Gamsoft: posts the ante 50
    Gamsoft: posts small blind 300
    all aces: posts big blind 600
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to all aces [8c Ac]
    realstar_ger: raises 1200 to 1800 (BIG stack raises our short stacks)
    Gamsoft: raises 210 to 2010 and is all-in (other shortstack re-raises a negligible amount)
    all aces: folds
    realstar_ger: calls 210
    *** FLOP *** [4d 8s Qd]
    *** TURN *** [4d 8s Qd] [Ah]
    *** RIVER *** [4d 8s Qd Ah] [9h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Gamsoft: shows [5s 5c] (a pair of Fives)
    realstar_ger: shows [Kd 3d] (high card Ace)
    Gamsoft collected 4770 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 4770 | Rake 0
    Board [4d 8s Qd Ah 9h]
    Seat 2: all aces (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 7: realstar_ger (button) showed [Kd 3d] and lost with high card Ace
    Seat 9: Gamsoft (small blind) showed [5s 5c] and won (4770) with a pair of Fives
  • told u so :D...i've played realster in a few $100+ sngs on stars, he's very aggressive, especially with a chip lead and shorthanded
  • If I had to guess, I'd say you are up against a King from he chip leader and a small pocket against the SB in the worst case.
    Gamsoft: shows [5s 5c] (a pair of Fives)
    realstar_ger: shows [Kd 3d] (high card Ace)

Thank you, Thank you.. for my next trick...
  • Helluva call BBC!