pokerforum.ca Tournament Results Thread

Well, I have the dubious distinction of finishing dead last in the forum's inaugural Pokerstars tournament. I think I deserve a copy of Dave's book, so I can do some reading before the 15th. LOL.

They say that history doesn't remember those that come in second...hopefully, it will remember me - the dude who busted out on the third hand! Ah well, no where but up from here. LOL.

- Gordan "I got rivered on Pokerstars" Gecco

Comments

• good game everyone. I had a BLAST and am looking forward to the next one.

$20 buyin next one or is it too late to change?

<---- out in 11th place. I'm predicting 3 tables for the next one!
  • 17th dammit
  • I got real lucky on a few hands and managed to pull it out. It was a good tourney and I had a great time. I'll be back for the next one for sure. Thanks to SirBry and Sloth for organizing and to everyone who played. And even to some of the railbirds who were there.
  • It was a fun tournament. Don't think I have ever chatted that much at an online table.

Hopefully next time more of the west coast people show up... Perhaps starting just an hour later might make that easier. That would have been a 5:30 start on the other coast...

$20 is fine by me. But these should really be more for the fun then the money. And more so, are we keeping player points and the like and have a forum ranking system?

Anyway, good playing all and congrats Vinsanity.

Mike
  • That was the most fun Ive had just missing the money.
    Thanks SirBry and Sloth and any one else involved in the organizing.
    I am looking forward to the next one.
  • Congrats Vins, Mike, and Ed. Well done. Kudos to those who put it together, I had an awesome time being bubble boy. See you at the next one! 20 was a great turnout, hopefully more next time.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • None of you guys are on PartyPoker eh? :(
    Well who wants to give me a good bonus code for Pokerstars!
  • Thanks for coming out everyone...it was a lot of fun!

Congrats to Vin, Mike and everyone else for a really well played game.

The chatting was a riot -- hillarious...it was hard to concentrate on the cards.

I look forward to seeing everyone (~including~ Dave!) at the next tourney :)
  • PokerStars Tournament #1607818, No Limit Hold'em
    Buy-In: $10.00/$1.00
    20 players
    Total Prize Pool: $200.00
    Tournament started - 2004/06/01 - 20:30:00 (ET)
    Tournament finished - 2004/06/01 - 22:46:08 (ET)
    1: hoopdreams (London), $100.00 (50%)
    2: Master Chief (Churchill), $60.00 (30%)
    3: OmahaEd (Walkerville), $40.00 (20%)
    4: all aces (Toronto),
    5: Dick Hertz (Oshawa),
    6: joe_abrams (Cornwall),
    7: The_Gamblar (Scarborough),
    8: SkyRattlers (Edmonton),
    9: ScottyZ (Ottawa),
    10: SirBry (Oshawa),
    11: Kanadian (kitchener),
    12: Timesmog (Kingston),
    13: Orangejello (North York),
    14: chefjones (beaumont),
    15: GonzoOne (Brampton),
    16: Plaxus (Caledon Village),
    17: ADAM88 (Edmonton),
    18: DJEP (Earth),
    19: boser001 (Agassiz),
    20: gordan_gecco (Waterloo),
    You finished in 4th place (eliminated at hand #464135211).
  • I'll be the first to post a dubious decision on my part... hopefully some others will post some hands as well. What do you think of this:

Level VIII (200/400)
    Seat #3 is the button
    Seat 1: all aces (1575 in chips)
    Seat 2: OmahaEd (4550 in chips)
    Seat 3: Master Chief (11027 in chips)
    Seat 4: hoopdreams (12848 in chips)
    all aces: posts the ante 25
    OmahaEd: posts the ante 25
    Master Chief: posts the ante 25
    hoopdreams: posts the ante 25
    hoopdreams: posts small blind 200
    all aces: posts big blind 400
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to all aces [3c 4c]
    OmahaEd: folds
    Master Chief: raises 400 to 800
    hoopdreams: folds
    all aces: raises 750 to 1550 and is all-in
    Master Chief: calls 750
    *** FLOP *** [Ks Qc Jc]
    *** TURN *** [Ks Qc Jc] [Ts]
    *** RIVER *** [Ks Qc Jc Ts] [4d]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    all aces: shows [3c 4c] (a pair of Fours)
    Master Chief: shows [Ac Ah] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
    Master Chief collected 3400 from pot
    hoopdreams is sitting out
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 3400 | Rake 0
    Board [Ks Qc Jc Ts 4d]
    Seat 1: all aces (big blind) showed [3c 4c] and lost with a pair of Fours
    Seat 2: OmahaEd folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: Master Chief (button) showed [Ac Ah] and won (3400) with a straight, Ten to Ace
    Seat 4: hoopdreams (small blind) folded before Flop

Although I was seriously shortstacked, I didn't have to go all-in on this big blind. I was hoping I was up against a big ace... or basically anything but a pair. My understanding is that suited connectors play pretty well in all-in situations, if you're getting pretty desperate for somewhere to go all-in. Obviously they don't play as well as a 'real' hand, but well enough.

Do you fold, call, or move in here?

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Great fun .........looking forward to the next one.
    How can you guys play & type so much...I had a hard time just reading it all ..lol ((Slow typer here :roll: )
  • Re: the hand that Aces posted...

I thought for sure I was getting rivered with a flush on that one. Sometimes I just hate playing those strong hands against a shortstack. Mostly because it is a sit and watch situation. My eyes were closed for the river card.
    :)

Mike

I need to run back to work, but will post one later.
  • Lol yeah I thought you were getting rivered too... I don't blame you for not liking playing against shortstacks... I don't either. No way to knock them off a hand if they're all-in.

I've been closing my eyes a lot lately in online all-in situations, and it's been working well for the most part. They were open on the hand against you, though, and maybe that was the problem! :shock:

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Sounds like a fun tournament. I'll consider entering the next one maybe...
  • Hi everyone!

First of all a great big thanks to SirBry for setting these tournaments up.

I feel bad about not sticking around for the finish, and not really feeling up for too much chat. These are both things I would do on a regular day.

I was feeling quite down the day of the tournament (not really anything to do with poker), and I also felt that I played very poorly at the beginning of the tournament. Individually, these things are typically not a big problem for me. But these and many other small things sort of came together all at once at the table, and I'll have to admit, I got extremely rattled. My proverbial camel's back was broken.

Getting rattled is possibly not a smart thing to even admit has ever happened to you to your potential future opponents, but there you have it. Do your worst. 8) To be honest, based on the circumstances, it really feels like it was a once in a lifetime (or at least a rarely in a lifetime) set of circumstances for me, which is why I don't feel too many qualms about sharing it.

I guess I got into an exceptionally perverse state of mind where friendly trash talk was translated into real trash talk, well-intentioned remarks turned into pressure, and kind-natured attention was interpreted as finger pointing. All this negativity was surely of my own creation (I'm quite sure no-one was intending anything even close the kinds of warped thoughts I was thinking), and I truly apologize for my non-responsiveness to anyone's comments that happened to be directed to me in the chat. In fact, there were occasioanlly periods when disabled the chat in an attempt to collect my thoughts. I really regret it, and apologize, if anyone felt that I ignored or snubbed them at any point.

The thing I feel worst about is that I really like the whole idea of these tournaments, and I feel I should have done better than I did in terms of promoting a nice and fun atmosphere to play in. I'm very fortunate that I was playing with a bunch of people who needed no such help from me in terms of accomplishing that. :)

Anyway, thanks to all those who particiapted, and congrats to both the winners and everyone for a well-played tournament.

ScottyZ
  • I wouldn't worry about it Scotty. As you said, the trash talk was all meant in the nicest possible way. People like having you around. You were at the other table, and I'm not sure if you had my table open or not. If you did, you would have seen that we were trash-talking you, too!!! Now that's love.

You're a popular, well-liked guy. In a group of guys, that means you are going to be ribbed.

I totally understand what you mean about letting your mood effect how you interpret things. I have been guilty of that, as have we all.

Hey, at least now I know how to rattle you in the next one!

:D

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I echo All Aces' thoughs. Take it as a sign of endearment and respect. And brace yourself for more of it now that you've told us it rattles you. lol, j/k.
  • vinsanity wrote:
    And brace yourself for more of it now that you've told us it rattles you.

<jaws theme music/> ;)
  • If I enter any more I may turn the chat window off. lol I don't mind yacking with you guys, but all the extra chat was very distracting. Seemed like it was 5 times the normal amount. lol I also wasn't in a great frame of mind that day either. It was a nasty day at work. Got home late, rushed online with minutes to spare. Not a good way to start a serious game.
  • Everyone played great and even though I wasn't playing, chatting and watching the action was fun. I hope the chatter wasn't too distracting to the players though...

Can't wait until the next one.