MP3 ???

Alright, I don't know anything about downloading MP3s. Can someone give me a crash course on this?

What are the chances of getting a virus?

a MP3 newbie

Comments

• I used to use kazaa-lite. Not sure if it is the most popular source anymore.

If you are downloading a .MP3 file, I don't know of any way to pick up a virus. Just make sure you know what you are downloading. You can always scan with Norton or whatever before you open it.
  • Isn't Kazza lite full of addware and other stuff?
  • Dead Money wrote:
    Alright, I don't know anything about downloading MP3s. Can someone give me a crash course on this?

What are the chances of getting a virus?

a MP3 newbie

50 50

I hate Kazaa it fks up my computer and you get tons of adware placed on your computer.

Try the free edonkey2000 (google it), of download bittorrent from bittorent.com then go to torrent sites and click the files you want.
  • with up to date virus software you should be ok.
    I could also reccomend some software which tracks changes to your registry and allows you to deny the changes before it happens.. I also have a program which monitors the programs which run on startup and modify/remove anything you dont want (spyware)

These programs together with antivirus would serverly limit your chances of pickin up a virus - i've never had one, but i'm a bit of a networking/security nerd

as far as mp3s i use torrent sites to find full albums.... you can download bitcomet which is a program that allows you to search/download/manage all your torrents with out the hastle of finding them on wesbites... (a torrent file is very small once you download that and load it in bitcomet it will go out and pull down all of the mp3s you need)

i'm sure a lot of that is unclear, esp. if youve never d/led mp3s before.... just ask for clarification if i lost you
  • I do use Torrent storm for DL WSOP videos. I guess I could use it for music too!

Thanks
  • Dead Money wrote:
    Isn't Kazza lite full of addware and other stuff?
    As I recall, kazaa-lite was not. Kazaa definitely was.
  • If you're strictly using it for mp3, the program LimeWire is really good. Torrents is good, but personally I only use it for the larger files (TV shows etc).

If you're looking to use torrents, like the_main said, BitComet is probably one of the best client out there.
  • I've used limewire before and havn't been able to find the things I've wanted. I also find it eats up a HUGE amount of system resources and makes my computer ridiculously slow. This is not good for me as I only have a laptop, and when it's on I'm ALWAYS multitasking.
    Howveer, I do believe Limewire is the best peer-to-peer program aside from torrents.

FWIW, Kazza lite originally was free of spyware but is now ridden with it.
    FOr anyone who hasn't done so, do yourself a favour and download a program like Spybot from http://www.safer-networking.org/ .
    This program will scan and remove most known spyware from your computer, but may make some programs inaccessible.
  • What is a RAR file, and what programe do I need?

Any suggestions?
  • Dead Money wrote:
    What is a RAR file, and what programe do I need?

Any suggestions?

A rar is an archive that contains multiple files within it and is compressed. So instead of downloading an album song by song, the user who posted the music for download used Winrar to compress a dozen songs into one file.
    If you have Winrar installed on your system all you need to do is doubleclick it and you will see the contents of the file in the Winrar program and be able to extract them to mp3 from there. (Just like Winzip)

BTW it is silly to use RAR to compress mp3's or avi video's as these formats are already compressing the file so the savings are negligible. But this doesn't stop the posters of content. It just makes it a little more complicated for the people downloading the stuff.
  • re: spyware, Ad-Aware is a free program to remove the spyware and cookies from your system