a 3/6 hand, some opinions

Was i wrong to have not capped it on the river?

Was i even more wrong not to have capped it on the river, considering this was my third straight hand of my first four at the table raising.

PokerStars Game #3090175606: Hold'em Limit ($3/$6) - 2005/11/18 - 08:52:00 (ET)
Table 'Eurypylos' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: krowey ($65.50 in chips)
Seat 2: slikpsych ($53 in chips)
Seat 3: xyz_479 ($70 in chips)
Seat 5: chugs ($120.50 in chips)
Seat 6: bf10 ($27 in chips)
slikpsych: posts small blind $1
xyz_479: posts big blind $3
çNosferatuç: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to chugs [Qc Qh]
chugs: raises $3 to $6
bf10: folds
krowey: folds
krowey leaves the table
slikpsych: folds
xyz_479: calls $3
*** FLOP *** [6c Ks Qd]
xyz_479: checks
chugs: bets $3
xyz_479: calls $3
*** TURN *** [6c Ks Qd]
xyz_479: checks
bf10 leaves the table
chugs: bets $6
xyz_479: raises $6 to $12
chugs: raises $6 to $18
xyz_479: calls $6
*** RIVER *** [6c Ks Qd Td] [2s]
xyz_479: bets $6
chugs: raises $6 to $12
xyz_479: raises $6 to $18
chugs: calls $6
*** SHOW DOWN ***
xyz_479: shows [6d 6s] (three of a kind, Sixes)
chugs: shows [Qc Qh] (three of a kind, Queens)
chugs collected $89 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $91 | Rake $2
Board [6c Ks Qd Td 2s]
Seat 1: krowey (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: slikpsych (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: xyz_479 (big blind) showed [6d 6s] and lost with three of a kind, Sixes
Seat 5: chugs showed [Qc Qh] and won ($89) with three of a kind, Queens
Seat 6: bf10 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Really only two hands could beat me AJ, J9, or a really oddly played KK

Comments

• PREFLOP: not 3betting preflop is atrocious

FLOP: not raising the flop is atrocious

TURN:id cap the turn with the intention of leading a blank river and calling a raise.

or a really oddly played KK

wow...the irony of this comment.
  • Add xyz to your buddy list, and in the future cap the river. Both are +EV.
  • PREFLOP: not 3betting preflop is atrocious

TURN:id cap the turn with the intention of leading a blank river and calling a raise.

Lay off the drugs. Hero is UTG with QQ and raises. You DO realise that the hero is chugs, right?
    Add xyz to your buddy list, and in the future cap the river. Both are +EV.

Uhhh why? xyz made a set on the flop, raised the turn and then jammed the river. You wanna play with this guy?
  • I can't blame you for not re-raising on the river. However, you really should have.

PokerKai said
    PREFLOP: not 3betting preflop is atrocious

Chugs raised every one of these except the river. Why say he played his hand oddly? How would you have induced the other guy to raise?
  • I agree with Chugs play on the river. The guy is clearly trying to convey strength, and could very well have a hand. A smooth call on the river insures that he doesn't walk into a huge hand and loose his shirt.

Just a thought.
  • The guy is clearly trying to convey strength, and could very well have a hand. A smooth call on the river insures that he doesn't walk into a huge hand and loose his shirt.

Are you saying that you would just call xyz's initial river bet? If you are talking about calling the 3-bet, that's not a 'smooth call' it's a good old regular call.
  • Sorry ... my fault.

but on the river, if Chugz is doubtful, why not just plain old fashion call.

Why risk more if there are scare cards out there?

Two nights ago I was jammin a pot with quad kings and I didn't realize the card to make me quads made the other guy the royal flush. I realize that this is an extreme case but why not play on the side of caution.

Just a thought.
  • ...but why not play on the side of caution.

Because this is classic weak-tight play. I'm not saying the river call is brutal, but the upside of raising is that it is capped (and hence you don't open yourself up to a rereraise). The fact that villain only called the 3-bet on the turn would lead me to believe he doesn't have AJ for the nuts (which is a hand I could see peeling on the flop). He either improved his hand with a hand like KT, or was slowplaying a set or 2 pair on the flop. I think I'd probably go ahead and cap here given that the turn wasn't capped by villain (The flat call of the turn 3 bet followed by the river donk-bet is just odd to say the least).
  • I'm sure if i had slowed down i would never have done anything other than cap the river also.

It just shows the mistakes that happen when you're busy doing other stuff (like taking on the phone, typing on pokerforum.ca, etc...) while playing.
  • Assuming he is somewhat sane he has AJ, J9, 66, maybe KK, and most unlikely TT or KQ, maybe some random 2 pair hands if he is not sane. Would he peel the flop with J9 getting 5:1? If so I think it's more likely that he has a straight then a hand you beat here, even if he wouldn't he probably has AJ at least as often as a set. Some read would be nice but i think calling is maybe a little better then capping, it really depends on how wide a range you can give him here though.